Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Bula Buster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

the rules are still gay...

very innovative rig man, theres a lot of work in that thing. but i just have to wonder if it really outperforms more basic simply designed rigs... either way its impressive as hell.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Updates? How has the adjustable camber setup worked for ya?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Updates? How has the adjustable camber setup worked for ya?
The adjustable camber setup was so awesome I had to remove it.

My plan was to find a way to get some help against the guys in our club running rear steer in 2.2s, that I could take to Nats. It wasn't as effective as straight-up rear steer but it sure did help. Since it was ruled steering and could not be taken to Nats, I had to learn to drive without or try something different......

To Be Continued
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:18 AM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvader View Post
I had to learn to drive without or try something different......

To Be Continued
Cool, can't wait to see what's next!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 AM   #145
Quarry Creeper

Default A New Dance for Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Cool, can't wait to see what's next!
Here Goes !!!!

This is more of what I was trying to do last time. After ditching the front shocks I found Buster's front axle was getting out of control when the front was unloaded. With the lack of down travel (like a Stick) I was able to use some music wire to create a torsion/sway bay. This worked so well I bumped the wire up to 1/16" and replaced the rear shocks. While bending the torsion bars I noticed that the axle tilted to one side if the bar was not evenly bent. That gave me the idea to fix one end and attach the other to a long servo arm. I reversed the servo mounts used for the camber thang, hooked up the servo and presto "Instant forced articulation" !!

It works GREAT !!! I used it a lot at the last comp to aid on the off-camber stuff. After some test crawling today I discovered I can raise or lower any wheel lifted in the air. Push the raised tire down on side hills to keep from rolling over or lift a wheel hanging in space to cross a gap. Also it helps the dig out big time. When I dig I load the pivot rear which unloads the inside front and loads the outside front, making the turn radius tighter.

This mod is SUPER simple. I used the standard axle mounted servo mount with the servo mounts reversed. The servo is a 5645MG with one of the long HD arms. It has plenty of torque, a 645Mg would have done the job. Also the whole thing acts as a servo-saver. I'm going to try it on my Super.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:13 AM   #146
MWRCA'er

Very innovative, I like it.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

WOW!

Now this is interesting!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #148
Pebble Pounder

simply amazing rig
good job x10
MaXX_CrAWlER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #149
Quarry Creeper

Default Buster Goes To The West Coast Championships !!!

Well Buster was treated to a little vacation when Kevin asked to drive him in the AXIAL WCC last weekend. Thanks Kevin for the top 10 finish !!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #150
I wanna be Dave

That is awesome!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Any updates on ol' Busta?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #152
Quarry Creeper

Default Long Over Due

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Any updates on ol' Busta?
Why yes there are a few new items on Buster. I got distracted with a new back-up 2.2 dubbed Sharky. Sharky SW3 Build w/Kill Switch Dig

First, although Buster didn't compete in Nationals this year, he came along sporting the new MBC team colors.

After we came back I scored some TCS clocked axle-Cs. They are some early prototypes Kevin gave me to check out. The production Cs are thicker, I'm ordering some black anodized ones soon. The initial installation was pretty straight forward. They mounted on the axles spot-on. And on any other truck, tuning links to the new axle angle would be quick, not on my wacky torsion suspension w/BTA. I had to fab-up a whole new front pod and BTA...WORTH IT !!! The new pinion angle adds clearance and puts the drive shaft at less of an angle.

Also, I've really like the new forced articulation set-up. So much I got some RC4WD TLT straight axle adapters for the rear of Buster. They clean-up the rear axle nicely and look AWESOME !!! They make for a nice placed to add weights, 2-layers of battery shrink wrap does the trick to keep them on.

While I was ordering the axle adapters from TCS, I picked-up one of there BM6s. Not only is it the perfect match of size and torque but it's the perfect color !!! I've run several comps and GTAs with it and love it. Look close at the spur hub, I made it on my new......MINI LATHE !!!

Some final things. I found with the long TG-10 axle stubs I'm running I can use Wheely King/AX10 axle hubs. They fit nicely into my new Axial beadlocks. Which hold firmly onto the new M3 compound M2Ks I mounted up front. I still like the M2s on the rear but these M3s will more than likely find there way onto all four corners. They really hook-up better than M2s and they're taller than some of the other popular soft compound tires.

Thanks Dezfan for getting me to post a long over due update.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Been following this build for as long as I can remember, one of my favorite builds!

Some of the innovations just blow me away!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #154
Quarry Creeper

Default X-mas Goodies

I've been busy and have not had time to post the booty I got for X-mas. I must have been a good boy last year because Santa Crawls got me some black TCS clocked axle-c's and a pair of RC4WD TLT steel pinions.

Thanks Santa Crawls !!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #155
Quarry Creeper

Default New Batteries

After helping my dad with his new AX-10's, I really liked the split axle mounted battery packs he was running. They sit SUPER low and allow me to slam Buster's lid even further. I was in need of new cells anyway, having run the old ones for the past two years.

TCS has some nice battery pack options. I need the extra volts to get Buster's wheel speed up and to run all the crap on him, I picked up a couple of 8-cell 1500 mah 2/3A split pack for the AX-10. I also broke up one of the old 1400 mah u-packs I was running and built a third.

I copied the TCS axle plates and added a lip to help keep everything in it's place. I mounted some thin velcro straps under them to finish the mounts.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #156
Quarry Creeper

...great long thread...great work and just makes me want to MAKE stuff

...Azvader just wanted you to know, though i am sure you are awrae, your truck is CONSTANTLY pictured in the Japanese RC print media...its kinda weird to see it there so many time and then finallly find the build thread on it...Keep up the great work...
BitHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM   #157
Quarry Creeper

Default New Body and Tires

It's been awhile since I updated the old thread. I've been getting my dad into RC crawling, both classes and recently pop and I helped JamesDickin get set up with a sweet Super class TCS Stick. Buster's been doing great so I've kept him out of the lab lately.

Buster's been running a buggy body for some time now. They've always performed well, loads of clearance, light weight, and low profile. But they're lumpy, bumpy, and shaped like a toad. Not to mention the lack of room inside and they don't always roll over well. Being a Chevy fan I could not wait to get my hands on Proline's C-10 crawler body. WOW !!! Like the buggies, loads of clearance, light weight, and low profile. It, however, rolls over better and looks kick ass next to my Super.

As for the tires, I can't resist a new set of kicks. Panther Cougars, Thanks Kev !!

Here's how they mounted and compare to Badlands and Claws.
Panther Cougars