Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rock-1 CAD crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rock-1 Custom crawler

Well, I've reserved posting this one for some time now, but I think it's ready. To keep myself current using SolidWorks I started this project back in January 07 after purchasing a TLT kit along with a friend. We've been into RC for quite some time and have been watching all the happenings with the crawling world. Okay, hooked is more like it. Knowing that fabrication would be not easy for myself, I kept the design simple. TLT based 4 link, pede, etc. Here's a very early CAD shot

progress happens....

late nights in front of the computer...

suspension and linkage....I didn't have much to work with $$ wise so my old rustler donated most of the parts....

final had it to a good point for fab...

real pic progress, a little art board for a base

overall size estimate

we skip a few months of friends help machining and material acqusition, and a little black anodizing.....

a C-10 body with metal tape for a logo...

and there you go....a long road.

down a steep hill...

and finally an end

Was it worth it ? Oh yeah? Is it the best? Not by a long shot. Does it work? Perfect for me.

What do you think for a first time?

later,

J

Last edited by HC Rc Guy; 09-22-2007 at 08:00 PM.
HC Rc Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

nice final render dude! but get rid of the fog option
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks to have turned out really well!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

some real talent you have there. The rig looks to have turned out just as you had planed. by The pics looks like it performs well also.

Stang I kinda like the Fog option. Gave it a little bit of realism when I first saw the pic.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hey HC that some pretty slick looking metal work there

and I can attest to the fact that she runs damn smooth... now go spend a few bucks and buy a speed control not made in the 80's
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys. Fog, I think it was actually called mist...but no matter it looks like fog. Solidworks has an unbelievable amount of options, and the Photoworks package inside it let's you do alot. So I was just messin around. Unfortunately my home PC is not the powerhouse my work one is, so most of that was done at lunch time. And now that I have an AX-10 also, who knows where the transmission might end up.

Double J, yeah it performs well for what's in it. I still need a new servo, and stiffer springs as I do get alot of torque twist, I'm also planning a better speedo as the reverse delay is killin' me. It boils down to a $$ thing, guess I need to sell some of my other RCs...problem is, it's hard to part with any! It's all the family thing.....

hey 500, yeah I know...need to work some OT and get me a good ole' crawler ESC....yup, she's smooth.....

later,

J
Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks good. More importantly, looks real. It shouldn't bother me but I have a pet peeve about cad designed crawlers and never seeing a single piece built in real life. So for my own sanity, thank you, haha.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Looks good. More importantly, looks real. It shouldn't bother me but I have a pet peeve about cad designed crawlers and never seeing a single piece built in real life. So for my own sanity, thank you, haha.
Jamus, you should also check out 500swmag's Mopar! I'm lucky enough to work with a few very helpful guys, otherwise it would have probably never happened. Eventually I'll be able to do some simple machining at home with my drill press and a two-axis compound table....that should be working for Rock-2 (this winter's project, darn snow!).......

here's another pic, with the Mighty Mopar there too

hey, maybe I can pull this mountain down?

later,

J

Last edited by HC Rc Guy; 09-20-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

so I dragged the family out for some crawling and family photo ops at the place I go. Well, big mistake I think....along with the little jabs and comments, now my daughters both want one! This is a big problem, as after I get the AX-10 built, then I'll have two minus two kids, leaves me with none! Now I wish the Nylints were still on sale, and I don't plan on doing ebay. Or, if I just wait, they'll get bored with it, and it's back to usual.....if money wasn't a problem I'd get them each an AXE and let them have at it! oh well, they had fun.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Good lookin work. Very thought out and well executed. Its good to see the progression from CAD to working product. Great stuff.
raul duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

NICE,great follow trough, and your happy that's all that counts.
twisted 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Very nice to see the truck through the design, developement, and completion.
Nice work
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Wow! Thanks guys for all the nice compliments! It was a long journey, and I had more start to finish pics, but didn't want to bore anyone.

I switched out the rear left spring for the stiff AX-10 spring I haven't used yet, and Rock-1 climbed much better! Now, just a few more things to dial it in, and I'll be very happy...then it's on to the AX-10, and a few little mods I have for that one.

What's up for Rock-2? Well, this winter I plan on using the AX-10 trans as the basis for either another 2.2 (with a twist) or a scaler of true cad worthyness! I guess New England winters have a good side to them...design time! Now, what RC in my collection will be the donor? Tough question?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Cant wait for your winter build...
dznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #15

looks cool. if i get spare time in the class im taking at school im going to start drawing up some stuff in a cad program.
jatoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

this was last winters project

this winter is a 1.9er with a New Bright LR3 body and axial axles and trans.....I won't post up the pics till progress is made, but if you guys have some different ideas for Rock-1 mods....post up. I need to narrow it up so stay tuned.....
Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Finally got something new for ole Rock-1.....check them out! Mayhem Engineering Double Phatties, custom engraved!! You can't beat them! Or at least they look so nice you don't want too....
Old 05-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #18

Sweet ride, sorry if I missed it somewhere but, what wheel wideners are you running?
76lcforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76lcforty View Post
Sweet ride, sorry if I missed it somewhere but, what wheel wideners are you running?
Well I was running the RC4wd wideners, but with the older beadlocks, and not the super narrows my truck was way to wide. I had good stability, but always got hung up on the pumpkin. With the mayhems the wideners are gone and I'm pretty happy with the width...now I just need to swap out for AX10 axles to get some good steering. TLTs will go to another project. Of course the Axials AX10 axles are wider, but my old setup was really wide.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Rc Guy View Post
Well I was running the RC4wd wideners, but with the older beadlocks, and not the super narrows my truck was way to wide. I had good stability, but always got hung up on the pumpkin. With the mayhems the wideners are gone and I'm pretty happy with the width...now I just need to swap out for AX10 axles to get some good steering. TLTs will go to another project. Of course the Axials AX10 axles are wider, but my old setup was really wide.
Cool, thanks for the info.
76lcforty is offline   Reply With Quote