Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Return of the Yellow Bug.......my GC-1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Holy Sh!t. that last time i was there, that pool was filled and your dogs were swimming in it.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #22

No the pool your thinking about is about 100 yards behind me. That pool your seeing is normally a still area between 2 sets of rough water. The big pool is still there, but any thing up creek (farther than I want to walk) is dry crawling.

The areas in Red are where we had the comp. I basically have a Buck Pocket type area here now.
Attached Images

Last edited by RXcrawler; 10-08-2007 at 10:13 PM.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 AM   #23

The GC-1 did it again.

I got 1st place at the Midwest Nationals Crawlapalooza with my GC-1!!! The GC-1 also finished 2nd and 4th at this event.

This chassis freaking rocks!!! By far the best chassis I've ever owned PERIOD, No contest!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #24

I've had a few people ask how I attached the dig servo for the R2D on the GC-1. Here are a few pics in the first one I circled (in blue) the stock hole in the chassis that the sevo attaches to. I basically took a tlt servo plate and made one out of aluminum. You can see where I notched the plate for the shock mount bolt. I also used a long bolt and a small peice of plastic to brace the servo from the other side to help keep the whole assembly from flexing.

I'm using a towerpro MG945, and it works great now. Feel free to ask questions.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I may try this idea out on mine. It looks like it fits well. What radio do you use in this truck?
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #26
PapaGriz Yo

I really want to run a Holmes Hobbies puller in mine but the motor is about 1/2" longer than a 55T.
It doesn't look like the R2 will allow you to move the tranny far enough to one side so that the motor is inside of the chassis.

With the AX-10 version do you think the tranny could be offset enough that it would allow the motor to sit inside the chassis?
AX-10 meets GC-1.....my AGXC 101

Lookin good and congrats on the win at Crawlapalooza!!
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #27

That is the one bad thing about any narrow chassis, it's hard to fit everything between the sideplates. The R2D was a tight fit, I centered it as much as possible. I even drilled new holes in the trans to mount it, I didn't have to do that, but I didn't want the motor sticking way out. I looked at the AX-10 one and I doubt you could slide it over enough for the motor to clear the sideplate. Is the puller motor smaller in diameter than a standard 540 motor? If it is it might just fit.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #28
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXcrawler View Post
That is the one bad thing about any narrow chassis, it's hard to fit everything between the sideplates. The R2D was a tight fit, I centered it as much as possible. I even drilled new holes in the trans to mount it, I didn't have to do that, but I didn't want the motor sticking way out. I looked at the AX-10 one and I doubt you could slide it over enough for the motor to clear the sideplate. Is the puller motor smaller in diameter than a standard 540 motor? If it is it might just fit.
I think it is a little smaller diameter, I don't have any measurements right now though. I'll have to keep an eye out for an AX-10 tranny.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Nice rig RX, The craftsmanship shows well! I had a question about your R2d.
1. Have you had any problems with it,..ie, have any of the parts worn out prematurely.., the bushings, the shafts, any holes wobbled out?
2. Are they easy to set up?
3. In your opinion, is it worth the money?
4. Can you fit aftermarket bearings in it?

I am interested in one but I don't see how it could last for the long run with bushings through out. I would think there is to much stress put on a tranny that disconnects for it to not have bearings on everything that moves. Just curious of your opinion because you seem to carry alot of respect here and you are a multiple winner.

p.s. I think I just jacked some suspension ideas off the GC1 for my Shaggin Wagon!
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEW<CO> View Post
Nice rig RX, The craftsmanship shows well! I had a question about your R2d.
1. Have you had any problems with it,..ie, have any of the parts worn out prematurely.., the bushings, the shafts, any holes wobbled out?
2. Are they easy to set up?
3. In your opinion, is it worth the money?
4. Can you fit aftermarket bearings in it?

I am interested in one but I don't see how it could last for the long run with bushings through out. I would think there is to much stress put on a tranny that disconnects for it to not have bearings on everything that moves. Just curious of your opinion because you seem to carry alot of respect here and you are a multiple winner.

p.s. I think I just jacked some suspension ideas off the GC1 for my Shaggin Wagon!

THANKS!!!

1. I haven't had and major problems with it. When a first got it, when you made the rear axle lock it was hard to get out of lock. I have that problem at Nationals so I didn't use the lock dig, even with a 5955 on it it wouldn't unlock. After that I took the rear plate off and rounded the edges with a file. Now it is much smoother and I can go fron drive to lock and back with out any problems.

There is a lttle slop in the "slider" that pushed the...."drive/lock middle part."
I have not has an issue with it yet. Just make sure your servo link doesn't try to push it at an angle. Inside the trans it has bearings, but the dig/lock parts don't. I think RC4WD will have these parts avaliable, I don't feel like they wear too fast.

2. Easy to set up, like i said before just make sure the dig servo is lined up good and there isn't any binding.

3.Yes well worth the money especially if you can't build your own set up thats lets you have dig. I'd take dig with no lockup before I'd take with only lock, I use the neutral setting alot. I'm using a DX3 and if drives in neutral, I just hold the button with my thumb when I want 4wd. Then hold it in the other position wien I want it to lock. That has worked out great for me.

4. Not sure
Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Hey Joey,

What shocks do you use?

Do they Leak ?

If they leak what others would you suggest

What length are they eye to eye?

Whats your GC?

I know a lot of questions but I want to do it right the first time and not trail and error myself

Thanks
Devlin
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #32

I have the Traxxas Big Bores they don't leak (one of the few that I have had good luck with not leaking) and they are 4" eye to eye.

The GC is 2¾" with the rock claws.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, I appreciate it
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #34
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I really want to run a Holmes Hobbies puller in mine but the motor is about 1/2" longer than a 55T.
It doesn't look like the R2 will allow you to move the tranny far enough to one side so that the motor is inside of the chassis.

With the AX-10 version do you think the tranny could be offset enough that it would allow the motor to sit inside the chassis?
AX-10 meets GC-1.....my AGXC 101

Lookin good and congrats on the win at Crawlapalooza!!
AX10 chassis fit perfect with a brushed motor...about half the the motor hangs out

constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #35
RCC Addict

is that your battery mounted up top?
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #36
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635 View Post
is that your battery mounted up top?
Yeah had it there while testing....now it's on front upper links. I now have a new receiver and an R2D in it.....
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #37
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
AX10 chassis fit perfect with a brushed motor...about half the the motor hangs out

Yes, but in order to fit the Cobalt Puller motor in there, the motor has to be inside the chassis. Thanks though Constantmotion.

I use the Hot Bodies shocks on mine. I run them upside down with some teflon tape on the cap threads. They have been working really good with no leaking.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #38
On the lookout for Rocks

Sorry....no the cobalt motor will not fit with an R2 without some major mods.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

what did you use for spacers on the upper shock mounts?
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Why don't you all try standing the R2 up on its side to run the cobalt puller??? With all the weight we are running in out rims I wouldn't think the cog would suffer that bad.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote