Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My latest SW3 build........Good-bye Bug, Hello Grappler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #181
Rock Crawler

First off, that is one clean design Bender, looks great. I did have an idea for a positive lock but have not had a chance to make it and test it. It would require changing the collar design.

I was thinking, encase the female shaft inside another tube of plastic, instead of a shock collar. Cut two 1/8" pieces of the female shaft off to use as stops inside each end of the bigger tube with the female shaft centered in between them. Glue those 1/8" pieces, you would need to grind the splines off the forward 1/8" piece (the side to the tranny) so it is used only as a collar and doesn't engage the male shaft. This encloses the female shaft in between the two 1/8" pieces, now all three female pieces are inside the bigger tube with the main female piece able to spin freely.

Next, you need to grind off the splines of the male shaft (the side to the axle), where the 1/8" splined and glued rear collar is located, grind the splines off all the way to with-in an 1/8" to a 1/4" from the yoke end at the rear axle. This is so the rear splined collar doesn't engage the male shaft and break or lock.

The idea is when you engage your dig, the bigger main tube holding everything inside, slides back toward the rear axle, engaging the glued rear collar with the remaining 1/8" to 1/4" male spline of the rear shaft, creating a locked rear-end.

Like I said, I haven't done it yet, I will give it a shot and post pics when I do. The main problems I see are obviously figuring out measurements, length of tube and shafts, and how to connect to the bigger main tube similar in fashion to your shock collar design. Also, how bulky this would be, whether it would be to big and create ground clearance problems. Again, strength would be a factor also.

Just a thought I wanted to put out there, maybe you or someone else could create off of the thought.

Peace, Stew

Last edited by STEW<CO>; 11-28-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #182
2006 2.2 National Champ

Thanks for the info Stew, sounds similar to Iron Chef and Rubbaneck's set-ups.

Well, I finally got my second Grappler body painted/mounted up on the super. The twins are back!!
Attached Images

BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #183
Rock Crawler

The super twin looks great Bender. It's good to know that body will work and fit well on the supers.

Just wanted you to know, I haven't seen Iron Chef's and didn't look at Rubbaneck's close enough to know that was how he did his. I hope I didn't come off like I was stealing someones design and taking credit for it like it was mine. I'm sure someone has come up with something similar or maybe exactly like I'm thinking. You know how that goes.

I got my supplies tonight so I'm going to try and build tomorrow, I will take pictures and post in my own thread, so as not to pollute yours.

Sorry about posting so much info you probably don't need, I was just trying to help bro. I know you'll come up with something awesome and simple. If mine doesn't work, I'm copying yours!
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #184
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEW<CO> View Post
The super twin looks great Bender. It's good to know that body will work and fit well on the supers.

Just wanted you to know, I haven't seen Iron Chef's and didn't look at Rubbaneck's close enough to know that was how he did his. I hope I didn't come off like I was stealing someones design and taking credit for it like it was mine. I'm sure someone has come up with something similar or maybe exactly like I'm thinking. You know how that goes.

I got my supplies tonight so I'm going to try and build tomorrow, I will take pictures and post in my own thread, so as not to pollute yours.

Sorry about posting so much info you probably don't need, I was just trying to help bro. I know you'll come up with something awesome and simple. If mine doesn't work, I'm copying yours!
Thanks.

Cool, I'm interested in how it works out. I wasn't implying you were copying anyone elses design either.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #185
[HOONIGAN]

Lookin good Brad.
I was wondering how that body would look on the sw2 super, ...good enough that I'll be getting one for my next body.

I see that the derinator is sporting some of those pimp losi shocks too.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #186
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Lookin good Brad.
I was wondering how that body would look on the sw2 super, ...good enough that I'll be getting one for my next body.

I see that the derinator is sporting some of those pimp losi shocks too.
Thanks, I think it looks just as good on the super too.

The twins are both sporting Losi shocks now.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #187
RCC Addict

bender, that is looking like a very promising set up. not sure about that o-ring thing though... maybe i'm missing something but i don't understand how it works if the collar is not stationary how will it simply pressing against an o-ring going to stop the whole thing from still spinning? i mean the collar and shaft are already mated by splines so... i don't know i just don't get it. i really want to see someone do a dig setup that is inside the axle. i think that would be cool. my idea was instead of braking both rear wheels wouldn't it give you better turning radius with one side or the other braked so its like a nimble basketball player pivoting on his fresh nike kicks instead of dragging a stuborn dog on its butt.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 AM   #188
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
bender, that is looking like a very promising set up. not sure about that o-ring thing though... maybe i'm missing something but i don't understand how it works if the collar is not stationary how will it simply pressing against an o-ring going to stop the whole thing from still spinning? i mean the collar and shaft are already mated by splines so... i don't know i just don't get it. i really want to see someone do a dig setup that is inside the axle. i think that would be cool. my idea was instead of braking both rear wheels wouldn't it give you better turning radius with one side or the other braked so its like a nimble basketball player pivoting on his fresh nike kicks instead of dragging a stuborn dog on its butt.
Thanks. Basically, I'm relying on the plastic shock collar to hold tight against the aluminum shock collar, when dig is engaged. The little friction it gives me acts as a light brake. The o-ring is more of a spacer/cushion for the dig collar. When you engage the dig the rear axle just freewheels, obviously, so it doesn't take much pressure to act as a brake. A stronger servo with more holding power would probably work better too.

A few of us Colorado guys have been discussing cutting brakes.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #189
TEAM RCC

So Fresh And So Clean
CRF450R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #190
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
A few of us Colorado guys have been discussing cutting brakes.
how would cutting brakes work on locked axles, or do you have something in mind for that too?

Last edited by moonbuggy; 11-29-2007 at 09:58 AM.
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #191
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbuggy View Post
how would a cutting brake work on a locked axles, or do you have something in mind for that too?
It'll be tough to come up with something that is simple, yet works. If you can disconnect one rear tire at a time from the drivetrain and add a brake to it, you'll be in business.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #192
RCC Addict

The grappler looks good on your super to I love that body
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #193
RCC Addict

Quote:
It'll be tough to come up with something that is simple, yet works. If you can disconnect one rear tire at a time from the drivetrain and add a brake to it, you'll be in business.
yeah that is what i was thinking. i plan on giving it a try on my next build.

p.s. here is what i think of dig
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qxOMK0H8flU
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #194
Rock Stacker

Would that be a "Spektrum" Z590M servo on there for Dig? (I think thats the number)

Last edited by gr33nlite; 12-09-2007 at 06:11 AM.
gr33nlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #195
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nlite View Post
Would that be a "Spektrum" Z590M servo on there for Dig? (I think thats the number)
That is correct, I just used the servo that came with my DX3 as the dig servo for now. I may switch over to a smaller servo at some point.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #196
2006 2.2 National Champ

Decided to ditch the bulky Stampede tranny. I worked out a deal with Dan from Finish Line R/C for an AX10 tranny. I drilled the outputs for my Maxx shafts, and got it assembled. Here's a couple side by side pics of the 2 transmissions. I'm going to start the install in a bit. I'll post up with some pics and measurements for those that may want to make the conversion too.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #197
RCC Addict

Quote:
The twins are both sporting Losi shocks now.
So are those losi xxx rear shocks on your SW3?
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #198
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbiss View Post
So are those losi xxx rear shocks on your SW3?
They are Losi shocks. I'm not sure what kit they are from, but they are the longest rear truck shock Losi makes. Smoothest shock I've ever tried by far.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #199
Rock Stacker

Nice, thats exactly what I am working on now! Matter of fact I just ordered another Skid from Dan for this How hard is it to drill the Axial Tranny outputs for the Maxx shocks? What size bit did you use? I think those traxxas pins are 4mm in diameter if I recall.
gr33nlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #200
RCC Addict

The axial tranny to the traxxas tranny is a big differance in size and weight WOW
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote