Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My latest SW3 build........Good-bye Bug, Hello Grappler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

It weighs about 6.5 lbs.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #102
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
It weighs about 6.5 lbs.
Did you drill breather holes in your wheels? If so, how big are they?
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

Aother sweet rig from the bender, looks great!
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Did you drill breather holes in your wheels? If so, how big are they?
I drilled two holes. I can't remember exactly. I think they are about 3mm in diameter. A 3mm screw will thread into them nicely.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #105
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
I drilled two holes. I can't remember exactly. I think they are about 3mm in diameter. A 3mm screw will thread into them nicely.
I usually run just one 1/8" hole in each wheel. Maybe try putting some electrical tape over one hole and see if it helps.

Thanks for the compliment Bam Bam.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Do you think the max tranny yokes will connect to jato shafts, i know you are using max shafts, but I've got a bunch of jato shafts. Right now I have the metal yokes on the tranny and villain yokes on the axles but I have a feeling the villain yokes aren't gonna last too long.
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #107
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
Do you think the max tranny yokes will connect to jato shafts, i know you are using max shafts, but I've got a bunch of jato shafts. Right now I have the metal yokes on the tranny and villain yokes on the axles but I have a feeling the villain yokes aren't gonna last too long.
I'm don't think they will. The Maxx yokes are quite a bit bigger then the Jato yokes, if I remember right. What are villain yokes? I've never heard that term before.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

The Villain was a boat that traxxas use to make, maybe the still do. They have metal bases that are pressed into the plastic yokes. I thought they might work a little better than the pede stuff but they seem to be kind of brittle. I guess I need to get some more metal yokes or the jato specific ones.

Here's a link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBH2&P=7
Old 10-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #109
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
The Villain was a boat that traxxas use to make, maybe the still do. They have metal bases that are pressed into the plastic yokes. I thought they might work a little better than the pede stuff but they seem to be kind of brittle. I guess I need to get some more metal yokes or the jato specific ones.

Here's a link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBH2&P=7
Ah I see. I've never seen anyone use those yokes before, so I wasn't sure what they came off.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #110
Pebble Pounder

Stampeed metal yokes on Jato shafts or stock Peed shafts...
Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #111
Keep it real

If you run Jato shafts, just run the jato yokes, I have yet to break one or have one pop out, and I've broken several CVD's since I've been running them.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #112
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
If you run Jato shafts, just run the jato yokes, I have yet to break one or have one pop out, and I've broken several CVD's since I've been running them.
Are the Jato's splines timed? You run dig with them right? Does the rear shaft engage at any point, or do they only go together one way?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #113
Rock Crawler

Sorry for the hijac Brad! The Jato's are timed 180 degree's, so the yokes always match up. I don't know how these guys would run dig like that, i don't run dig anyway. I'll be getting some Jato yokes shortly, just incase these Villains crap out early.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #114
Keep it real

They are splined for 180*, just like pede or maxx ones, with 2 of the male splines being a little shorter than the rest. Taking a file to the other splines to knock them down a bit is how I got mine to engage at every point, and there are 8 splines so it only takes 1/8th of a turn. The best way would be to make the 2 female splines deeper, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it. I wasn't happy with how mine worked(it would get hung up sometimes and not disengage in a bind) and as I'm not very patient when it comes to fabbing stuff, I switched to an R2d2 yesterday. Works like a dream now, but the drawback was adding a servo to the chassis.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #115
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
They are splined for 180*, just like pede or maxx ones, with 2 of the male splines being a little shorter than the rest. Taking a file to the other splines to knock them down a bit is how I got mine to engage at every point, and there are 8 splines so it only takes 1/8th of a turn. The best way would be to make the 2 female splines deeper, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it. I wasn't happy with how mine worked(it would get hung up sometimes and not disengage in a bind) and as I'm not very patient when it comes to fabbing stuff, I switched to an R2d2 yesterday. Works like a dream now, but the drawback was adding a servo to the chassis.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering on the re-engaging of the shafts. The R2D is looking better and better. But, I've got to try it my way first.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #116
Keep it real

I never ran dig until after I got back from the Axial comp, and my attempt to fab mine was quick, and it worked good at first, but slowly started being unconsistent. If a guy spent some time, and figured out a way to deepen the female splines, I think the Jato's would be the ticket. Also, knowing/being around those who have run dig for a long time like Miniwheeler and Warpig(which I hadn't until this spring/summer)would have helped me, as their stuff just works every single time, flawlessly.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Yeah, that's what I was wondering on the re-engaging of the shafts. The R2D is looking better and better. But, I've got to try it my way first.
I run dig using the pede shafts and it works perfect 95% of the time. The only time I've had problems re-engaging is when I'm fully flexed out one way or the other on the rear. At our last comp I saw the R2 refuse to engage on command and kill a good run. I've found the trick is to chamfer the cut shaft to match the end of the stock. It engages better. I also put some slot car geear grease on the dig shafts (It's plastic friendly). I've got to go through a lot of pro-pack shafts to add up to an R2 tranny
DRCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #118
2006 2.2 National Champ

I was lucky enough to recieve one of the first new Grappler rock crawler bodies from Losi. I've got a little run time on it, and so far I like it. Very light and narrow, which is great for a comp body.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Default New Body

Lookin Good

Rick-
cars69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

new lid looks great
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote