Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Problems after problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I made these upgrades to my 2.2 and haven't broken a single TLT component yet.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Whatever you broke we will replace. But honestly that motor, the R2, your tire size, and your driving style are all factors. I have beaten the living snot out of my 2.2 with the R2 tranny, and a the Novak Goat for over six months and only broke 2 cvd's. One was the weak prototype. One of my favorite past times is to throw it into reverse then hit full throttle forward to see how far I can ride a wheelie. Bottom line, if you are cleaning multiple teeth off the ring gear it is seeing more power than it was designed to see.

The next batch of ring and pinions will have a solid stainless pinion gear. That should solve the issues with the pinion.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #23
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
The next batch of ring and pinions will have a solid stainless pinion gear. That should solve the issues with the pinion.
Nice.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
next batch of ring and pinions will have a solid stainless pinion gear.
Yeah!!!!!!!!!
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

OK here. I broke the first R+P with M2k's and it was in the rear. I've had a stock pinon in there since including on the molands. The CVD broke digging with M2k's in my back yard and they were pretty old. I didnt even have lipo's then just the brushless.

Molands I run 4oz. in front and none in back with 40series foams cut down on aluminum Ericksons.

M2k's I run 6 oz. front and 3oz. rear with stock foams on rc4wd wheels.

Thats the only added wieght to the crawler. Hell even my battery is mounted in the chassis over the axle. My dig has been diasabled since I broke the CVD. I switched to Maxx shafts and never bothered after that.

I agree the SS pinon should solve the problem on the pinon's. I'll tear mine down now and find out what went last night. Sure feels like the splines in the locker are gone though.

Oh and Randy AKA swell searcher. Bring that Heep up to Rc for my birthday run. You have no clue now. I need to trade you rigs everything got to easy

Marzzz Thanks for saying something. Heck I ran the Super course with BHrads 2.2 rear steer rig. IF anything should have broke that was it
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #26
PapaGriz Yo

You must drive like a madman. I went almost a year without breaking a single stock part.
To equate it to 1:1 terms: You are trying to bulletproof a set of D44's and then dropping a bomb on them.
Have you considered going to a 2.2 Clod or 2.2 TXT? Those are much more overkill with 2.2 tires and might live longer. I see you are already running 2.2 Badlands. That's not helping your small axle problem either.

Running Pede tranny with a slipper would help. You can set it real tight so it doesn't slip all the time. Mine is set so that when I hold the tires it will just about pick up the front end and then it slips.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I had my TLT for about a year. I broke 1 stock shaft cause the knuckle came apart and it over turned under throttle. Would have happened to any rig in that sitation. 1 stock pinon wore out that wasnt shimmed and a diff came undone partially cause the screws backed out. I broke a few outers at the pins from rolling it down the Crete comp course at RC but thats it.

Please get off this drive like a mad man crap already People that saw me wheel it posted up and said I WASNT abusing it. WTF more do you want? A dam plane ticket and directions to see for yourself

It breaks parts with M2k's on it as well. Its not like I'm tearing kuncvles off here or anything else.

Last edited by rocktoy; 10-04-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Just got axle apart splines on the short side of the locker are stripped out. Stock diff and axles going back in now.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I'll take a plane ticket to see you drive. Is the invite still open? Reading this makes me want to run my truck as stock as possible until it starts to break.
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Dam I knew someone would want one

I'm literally putting all stock drive parts back in my axles now except for the CVD's. Stock JB welded diffs, Stock shimmed pinion in front. Rear is all stock now so at least I dont have to do that one.

You know someone makes hardered steel pinions already. If only someone made a hardened steel diff
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

What I really find funny about this thread is that the R2 tranny is still alive and kicking and everyone thought that would be the weak link in this set-up. I even figured like most of the other guys posting here that the r2 would go before the CVD's or the R&P's.

Good to see RCP is on top of it and will stand behind what they sell!

Keep in mind, that no matter what you do to make your truck indestructable.....something has to give!

Thanks for all your R&D work!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

1st thing I did when I got my R2 was take it apart and regrease it with high impact bearing grease. Its quieter than others I've heard and has been holding fine
Old 10-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy View Post
1st thing I did when I got my R2 was take it apart and regrease it with high impact bearing grease. Its quieter than others I've heard and has been holding fine
You drive like a MadMan!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #34
varcor.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy View Post
Oh and Randy AKA swell searcher. Bring that Heep up to Rc for my birthday run. You have no clue now. I need to trade you rigs everything got to easy
As usually Oct fawking sucks for me... but I'm for some RC and 1:1 crawling in during the holidays (2nd gear & punch it baby). hopefully by then you can show me how you're breaking crap. i should have a brushless, r2, and CVD tlt by then...
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

You let me know when you want to go out. I'm always game to drag Jeeps around Lynn has been letting us use the comnp area after we are done wheleing for the day. Awesome for RC crawlers

I ran almost a full pack out of it now. Pile of concrete chunks in my backyard to crawl over. Not a dam problem so far And yes it still has the molands on it.

If you guys want I'll keep updating this everytime and how many packs I run. See how long the stock stuff last's.

Oh and BTW to whoever said they twisted RCP pinions. At least 1 of mine is twisted pretty bad. Right by the hole in the center of the flat. I'll look at the others tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Still going on stock parts 3 lipo's later...
Old 10-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I figured when I broke the stock parts I would switch to the aftermarket parts you are having trouble with. But the only problem I have had so far with the driveline is the screws on the rear diff backing out and letting it open enough that the 3 legged gear carrier sheared off 1 leg, and broke a bunch of teeth off the gear I had reveresed to lock it. I just cleaned it up real good, warmed all the parts up in a toaster oven, basted them with flux, and drizzled it full of some nice tasty plumbing solder. mmmmmm Dunked it in some 30w, and screwed the cap back on. It's kind of heavey, but it's holding great. Threads like this make me worry about the stage 5 axles I just bought for my wife's crawler. When are the new deeper R+P coming out?
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I've never liekd the 3rd gear mod. I JB weld my diffs.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

BTW another lipo down and I took abusive pics which are loading now.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Well, 3rd gear mod is still holding in the front, but when I get all the parts I have coming in I'm tearing mine down and rebuilding it while I build my wife's. Don't know yet if I'll just solder up the other 3 diffs too, and get some of the TCS pinions, or spring for the RCP R+P's.
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote