Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Problems after problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Abusive picutres are herehttp://imageevent.com/cc89iroc/1072007?n=0 hit slide show and enjoy. Sorry pics arent the best. Hard to dirve with your left hand and take pics with the right.
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy View Post
1st thing I did when I got my R2 was take it apart and regrease it with high impact bearing grease.

have you ever done the same thing to the diff gears?? I always have, even with the stock gears before the RCP diffs I have now. I started blowing front diffs when the dig came along.

Another thing you might want to look at is, how is the condition of the diff housing itself?? I have noticed that over time the outer and inner bearing pocket were the pinion goes through the diff housing gets to be oval shaped a little from the side load created on the pinion. I have found that the diff housings only last about a year at best because of that issue.

also the pinion bearings no matter how good they are do wear out too on the pinion. If there is any side to side play at all on you pinion you need to rebuild with new bearings and housings.

Last edited by DUDE; 10-07-2007 at 06:00 PM.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE View Post
have you ever done the same thing to the diff gears?? I always have, even with the stock gears before the RCP diffs I have now. I started blowing front diffs when the dig came along.

Another thing you might want to look at is, how is the condition of the diff housing itself?? I have noticed that over time the outer and inner bearing pocket were the pinion goes through the diff housing gets to be oval shaped a little from the side load created on the pinion. I have found that the diff housings only last about a year at best because of that issue.
Yeah I run the same grease in my housings. I broke 1 stock pinon that was unshimmed.

Housing is perfect where all the bearings sit. Housings are actually only about 4 months old.

All those pics where with all stock drive parts except CVD's up front.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah I run the same grease in my housings. I broke 1 stock pinon that was unshimmed.

Housing is perfect where all the bearings sit. Housings are actually only about 4 months old.

All those pics where with all stock drive parts except CVD's up front.
Like was said earlier by Bender, the large tires do play a big part on the breakage. I ran large tires similar to yours awhiole back and would yard sale everything all the time with 30 minutes on every run.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

So why was I breaking them with 2.2 M2k's? Since rebuilt with stock parts I ran 4 lipo's with no failure's beside's a bolt that came loose? I tore the teeth off 3 pinons and tore the spline's out of "good" parts.

See my point here? I run stock parts and rarely break. I run good parts and carry spares

Last edited by rocktoy; 10-07-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #46
RCC Addict

RCP ring and pinion,cvd shafts,alum knuckles and RC4WD delrin housings should fix you up
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Um broke 3 RCP pinon's and stripped 1 of the locker splines out and broke 1 CVD.

I had 1 stock pinion fail and broke 1 stock inner from a knuckle breaking ever.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #48
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Im gonna take a guess here. You are running an outrunner through an r2 tranny, so shock loads will be transmitted to the motor and back out to the tires moreso that any other setup. Stock gears are cheap and soft. The RCP goods are hardened, which would make them brittle to shock loads. Your problem is probably arising from your motor and tranny combo, combined with driving style. Stock parts are holding up because they give more and dont shear apart.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Im gonna take a guess here. You are running an outrunner through an r2 tranny, so shock loads will be transmitted to the motor and back out to the tires moreso that any other setup. Stock gears are cheap and soft. The RCP goods are hardened, which would make them brittle to shock loads. Your problem is probably arising from your motor and tranny combo, combined with driving style. Stock parts are holding up because they give more and dont shear apart.
That is the most logical response I have heard. Makes sense that the stock gears will give a bit before giving up. All the RCP stuff was sheared right off.

BTW I run a BM9 and r2 with a 11t pinion. Mamba 25 with start up on low.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

how much weight do you have in the tires? i was having the same problem with one of my rigs , so i changed the tires, the new tires weighed half as much and that fixed my problem
hijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

4 Oz. in fronts only. No other weight added.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
RCP ring and pinion,cvd shafts,alum knuckles and RC4WD delrin housings should fix you up
That is funny. The whole reason this thread is here is because of most of those parts!

I have the CVD's and RCP R&P. I love my CVD's and have yet to try the R&P's. I'll be runnning 2.2 Jordon's on mine. Hope they hold up, cause I drive like a Mad Man!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Some people dont read before they post
Old 10-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes

Quote:
That is the most logical response I have heard. Makes sense that the stock gears will give a bit before giving up. All the RCP stuff was sheared right off.
I agree.........wonder why it took the "Electronics' guy to finally figure it out;)
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Cuz JRH is just too freaking smart. Makes perfect sense though.
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #56

I'm running the R2d with a 55T, but the problem I'm having is the soft metal the pinion shaft is made of can't handle the load of using front dig.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

I havent done a dig in forever. I only did a few actual digs before I broke the a CVD. I had a 55t then as well. I dont have mine even hooked up now. I locked it into 4wd. The biggest thing I noticed was on high traction surface thats really rough the dig will put a ton of stress on everything. My 1-1 rig is the same way.

You need common sense when using it. Loose dirt and smooth rock its great. All twisted up in a pile of rubble BOOM. Another thing which add's to the stress is 1-1 rigs usually unlock the rear axle then disco and use cutting brakes. You only have one tire planted then instead of both pulling back on you. Its much more effient that way but not easily attainable on a RC.

I mostly used my dig to decend stuff. Works awesome to drop over ledge's and come down really steep stuff.

I have been thinking of hooking it back up though. All i really need to do it toss on a servo. Maybe this week I'll hook it back up and do some playing. Wonder how the stock R+P will liek the brushless then
Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #58

What drive shafts are you using. I had pede shafts on the front with the stock diffs. May go back to them easier to replace a drive shaft.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

T-maxx 2.5 shafts barely trimmed them and they fit right in. I did bore the stock pinon so I could use the stock type pin for the shafts. The shaft ends work perfect with RCP's piniona nd the r2 trans with hole's.

Pede's popped to easy once they wear a bit. It helps if you sleeve the joint end with brass tube so the ends dont spread open but then twist up after a bit. Eventually they popout then cause the plastic is just worn out. I actually had my pede metal yoke's pretty well worn out when I moved to Maxx shafts.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I can tell part of your problem is the tires you're running, they are too big for TLT axles. How much does your rig weigh? If you're running dig with a heavy rig, you'll break more too.
X2. I have about one year's crawling on my stock ring and pinions shimmed with Moab 2.2s, 45T lathe, 7.2 nimh, stampede tranny and I'm not easy on it. I've broken several stock axle shafts and that's about it. I run Stampede tranny with the old style Traxxas slipper and make sure not to bind it up too hard.

EDIT: FYI I'm using Amsoil synthetic 2000 Racing grease in both ring and pinion setups...has worked great in my 1:1 u-joints and works great here too.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-11-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote