Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Problems after problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Problems after problems

What really needs to be done to make a TLT axle strong? I'm sick of breaking dam near everytime out
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

The best way to beef them up is with RCP's copper ring and pinions, CVD's and aluminum axle C's.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
[HOONIGAN]

cvd's
metal c's up front
straight axle adapters out back
rc4wd straight rear axle
bearings
rcp ring and pinions

The stock plastic cases still suck, but they don't break that often with all of the other upgrades.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ok so hear let me clarify. Sorry I'm kinda pissed here.

2 broken R+P's from RCP
1 stripped spline(i think not torn down yet)
1 cvd inner, 1 cvd outer

My current axles specs are.

Front CVD's(installed new ones today) was running stock for the past month waiting for parts.
clocked C-hubs
RCP R+P
aluminum knuckels

Rear stock shafts
Stock rear diff and pinion shimmed(RCP one broke)
stock shafts
Straight axle adapters

I guess I'm just pissed cause the dam stock parts dont break much compared to the aftermarket. Hell I ran stock parts with molands and suffered very little breakage. I upgraded and its like non stop wrenching. BTw still on stock hosuings which havent broke yet.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
2006 2.2 National Champ

Wow, that is surprising to hear. What motor are you running? Are you using the E-clips on the inner axles? Some people leave those clips off for quick change axle shafts, but it will mess up the ring and pinion mesh from what I've seen.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I run all the E-clips that are stock except the 2 on the outside of the CVD since the are machined to work without them. Motor is a little BM9 driving a R2 with a 11t pinion.

Oh I stripped the locker in the front not back.

Also I want to add I am in no way bitching about RCP's parts or service. They have always stood good on their parts and the service is great.

I just want to know if I am doing something wrong here or what. I'm so pissed I almost smashed the little bastard tonight. I literally just put the front axle together a hour before.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
Keep it real

Driving style has a lot to do with carnage. That "little" BM9 packs a big punch What voltage are you running to it? Also, terrain can have a big effect on carnage.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

sounds like expecting to much out of your truck!! i've been running the same axle in the rear sense i put it together... and i put cvd's in the front when the came out! haven't broken a cvd yet!! and i run over 10oz of weight inside my eriksons and still haven't broken a cvd!!! i would say your just pushing your car to far... brushless doesn't like to stall like a brushed motor will.
scuzzy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

drive it a little easier. i beat on my truck and ive never broken that much ****.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I was running a 7.2 stick pack till sat night. I started running Lipo 11.4 for 2 packs till I figured out my glitch was only running the lipo. Still working on that one It broke tonight running 7.2 pack.

Here's a few pics of the local terrain.

Sorry they are old not even my current rig but you get the idea. I dont really push the truck if its bound at all. I know when your just asking for something to break. It almost never gets throttled into unless its loose dirt. Not worht it to break the dam thing all the time. Thats why it pisses me off so dam much
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
drive it a little easier. i beat on my truck and ive never broken that much ****.
If I drive it any easier its not worth owning. I didnt build it to crawl over curbs. I ran stock diff's forever without any real issue. I wore out a pinon and went to RCP diffs now I have issue's tearing teeth off completely. I have a stock pinon in it now in back for awhile.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

BTW I ran the Lipo in it this weekend at a comp. I didnt abuse it during the comp. I messed around a bit waiting for 2.2 3rd stage to run when it started clicking. Once it broke all care ceased though. Hard to care when you finish a comp with a broken pinion up front. Only thing that really got abused was the stock rear anyways once it was 2wd.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Pic from comp sunday. Stock shafts all around stock rear gears. blew a front R+P from RCP:-? I dont think anyone there would say I was overly abusive to my rig in any way. Then again I could be wrong

Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy View Post
2 broken R+P's from RCP

So me and Austin are not they only ones breaking these. We are not stripping gears we are breakign pinion shafts. I've not had the problems with the CVD's though but I have heard of others having problems. And I'm running a 55T.

Last edited by RXcrawler; 10-04-2007 at 05:39 AM.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #15
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Pic from comp sunday. Stock shafts all around stock rear gears. blew a front R+P from RCP:-? I dont think anyone there would say I was overly abusive to my rig in any way. Then again I could be wrong

I can tell part of your problem is the tires you're running, they are too big for TLT axles. How much does your rig weigh? If you're running dig with a heavy rig, you'll break more too.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Motor is a little BM9 driving a R2 with a 11t pinion.
The B9/R2 are a very powerful combination and it will destroy ANY part..........even after market ones.

On top of that your terrian is nasty Its sort of a combitation of "Bucks Pocket meets Rock City" that we go to for SERCRC comps. Those 2 places have historically delivered more carnage than any of our other spots.

IMO your drive lines have to have some give in them, or a place for the force to go when you don't get off the throttle fast enough. On the those rock it won't be your tires slipping. I personally run a Stampede Tranny w/Slipper.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I broke one at nats..rcp gave me another one on the spot..I have broke a cvd but i think it was my driving and the power of a crawl master on a 3c lipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXcrawler View Post
So me and Austin are not they only ones breaking these. We are not stripping gears we are breakign pinion shafts. I've not had the problems with the CVD's though but I have heard of others having problems. And I'm running a 55T.
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:

is that out at Sam Lewis Park???
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:14 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

no not Sam Lewis, Garrett Mt. State Park in Paterson NJ. And honestly rocktoy wasn't abusing his rig at all, he was just trying like all of us to run on those tough slick rocks.
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #20
varcor.org

Quote:
If I drive it any easier its not worth owning. I didnt build it to crawl over curbs. I ran stock diff's forever without any real issue. I wore out a pinon and went to RCP diffs now I have issue's tearing teeth off completely. I have a stock pinon in it now in back for awhile.
have you seen him drive his 1:1 rig? :-P:-P dude try to swap your tire/wheel combo for a few run and see how things go. say a moab or masher setup.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote