Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cheapjeep2 Junior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Cheapjeep2 Body finished 06/01/05 Page 2.

Had hernia surgery last Wednesday and haven't been able to do much so I've been working on my TLT-10 to go with my TXT Crawler. I wanted to build a scale Rubicon and was inspired by Burben's rig in the picture thread. Well just got everything done and took it for a drive drives great! This is almost more fun that the txt... Although a couple of trips around the table and it locked up..... Lathe wouldn't spin at all. Had to break it all down and tear the lathe apart. Found a small piece of capacitor lead wire in there that had locked it up. Put it back to together and had the timing 180* off so had to tear it all down again to get it right, working well now though. It'll get a rubicon body and I have a scale high-lift jack that will go on it.

Here are the specs.

Bulu 2 chassis (love it works great)
Revo push rods
Maxx turnbuckles
Integy emaxx shocks with 80wt oil and stock Traxxas springs
Locked Pede tranny with metal idler gear
TLT locked axles
Pede shafts extended with metal flanges
Traxxas 2 ch radio
SuperRooster (remanufactured)
HI-tech HS-5645MG
Lathe motor with 12t pinion

Last edited by cheapjeep2; 08-05-2005 at 08:33 PM.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

Sweet ride cheapjeep2, one good thing about the surgery. J/K, get well!!
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

very nice set up. hope i get to do that as my next project. "if i ever get the juggy done"
powertuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks great man, I like these TLT's more and more every time I see 'em. I feel for 'ya on the surgery part. I had that done myself when I was 15. Looks like you'll be taking it easy for a few weeks!
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks Guys! I am quite pleased with it so far. It's quite fun and I really liking the 2.2 scale of it. Yea the surgery has not been fun, but Vicodin has made it and everything else better!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Troy it looks great, i'm in the process of building my custom chassey. We'll get to compair!! Get well we got crawlin to do
Sparky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Woot! And so the Colorado 2.2 crowd grows by one. Looks good (even if it is a bulu ) I hope I can compete next to it soon.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Alright so I've been playing with the new ride and the suspension needs to be softened. I am running Integy MSR4 shocks with 80 wt oil and standard red traxxas maxx springs. Those of you with a similar setup as mine, what weight oil and what springs are you running.

I read in another thread that losi white or yellow springs are much softer but I can't seem to find a part number for those springs (can't find them on Tower). As always thanks in advanced.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Losi doesn't go through tower. Stormer hobbies and some other hobby shop online carries losi. Can't think of the name, sorry Anyhoo. I run 25 wt. with losi whites.

As much as I hate to say it, MHOR RC in aurora will have the whites. But if you can, see if one of the Colpar's has it first, cuz MHOR should burn in hell. Them and hobby town. I've seen people (and have been personally) ripped off way too often by the two.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks PWT, Would you happen to know the losi part number for the whites?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #11
RCC Addict

i cant see the pics but i but it sounds like its an awsome crawler because of what eveyone else is saying
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
i cant see the pics but i but it sounds like its an awsome crawler because of what eveyone else is saying
You can see them here. They are hosted http://www.geocities.com/cheapjeep2/RCCrawler/TLT-10/
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Ordered up some Losi Springs in White and Yellow as well as some lighter weight shock oil from the LHS. However, my INETRC wideners came and I put them on and it's amazing the difference in flex with the wider track. More leverage on the suspension now, kinda like a cheater bar. I'll fine tune the springs and oil and it should be good to go. Plus I like how much the stability has increased with the wideners. The cool thing is the Rubicon body still covers about a 1/4 of the tire so it looks like a real Jeep that's been converted to full width pickup axles.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I still need to widen mine, I don't know if I want to go inet ($$$$$$$$) or get the longer tamiya axles ($$$).
Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Here's another update: With the wheel base and the wide stance the turning radius was horrible. I didn't want 4 wheel steer as I am trying to keep it as scale rubicon as possible, however, it was the king of multi-point turns. So I added rear steer and now it's turning really well. I put the losi white springs on the front and the yellows on the rear, that helped quite a bit. However, it's still stiff when climbing a straight veritical like a wall. It doesn't flext the front end but rather rasies the entire axle. But it's gettig there. I am also gonna change the oil from 80wt to 40 wt and then 25 wt to see if that helps. If it still isn't right I will look at changing the angle of the shocks. I also added RCKJeep's beed locks to the wheels, this was an after thought though after the tires were already glued so they don't look as good as they could have. Just need to get the body painted.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I had a lot of the same probs with mine. So I sold it!! Now I'm going to bolt up the spare clod axles to the same frame. Clods rule!!!!!!
Sparky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Found the right combination for the shock setup (kudos to PWT for the help). Final setup is Losi whites in the front, losi yellows in the year and Team Assoc. 25wt shock oil in all four. Works like a champ now.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #18
Im Brandon

Get some action pics
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing
Get some action pics
I took some today at work, I'll post a little later. It's doing pretty good. The Swamp Dawgs deffinately need to be softer but I knew that going into this as I am building this for scale look vs comp. I'll soak them in WD-40 for a couple of days and we'll see how they do . It is a blast to drive though. I really like the 2.2 rigs .
Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Default Some naked action shots at work