Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Sharky SW3 Build w/Kill Switch Dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Suspension and Tire Tech

I've been doing A LOT of backyard tuning to Sharky and he's done his first comp. I think I've finally got the shocks set. I learned, on Buster, that the more upright the shocks were the better they worked, best for rear shocks. Also, the swallower the shock angle was the less they worked, best up front.

I started at the back and repositioned the rear shocks to the outer most hole. I recycled one of the stock chassis spacers and used 4-40 all-thread to mount the uppers. This stood the truck up too much. I installed a 7mm travel limiter ( more stock TLT parts ) inside the shocks, perfect !! This new position has allowed me to run soft springs with little to no torque roll. No tricycling uphills anymore !!!

Next the fronts. I moved the uppers to the inner most hole but this pulled the front down. I put some longer ball ends on the lowers and fixed it. I was having trouble finding soft enough springs for the fronts. One of the guys a the LHS said "hit em with a torch". I threw some soft springs on a scrap piece of ceramic tile and "hit em with a torch". That did the trick, they're super-soft now. It fried the paint right to the tile, I should have painted them to stop any rust but I live in dry old AZ, what's rust ??!!

I like the truck to squat a little in the front and stand up the back. It lets the front axle follow the terrain, like a droop style. The rears control the chassis, stop torque twist, and keeps all fours planted.

The links are a pretty common set-up, it works great. The only thing different is where the links mount to the axles. The mounts I made are about 15mm narrower and 10mm higher. This increased tire clearance and gives a "high clearance link" effect without the bent links flopping around.

As for tires and wheels, I love me some AXIAL beadlocks !!! I've had great luck with the hex interface ( only slipped with plastic drive hexes ), the price is right, and foam/weight tuning has never been easier. The rears are stock width but the fronts are back-narrowed 1/4" for steering clearance. I also use #2 button head screws on the outer rings to minimize rock snagging.

I'm a Masher 2K man and the new M3s ROCK !! I'm running them up front with Road Rage foams and 4.5oz of BBs in each and M2s out back with Dirt Hawg foams. The short foams leave room for weights to roll and lets the center of the tire compress but still offers good sidewall support. CowboyRC gave me the idea, he's been running short buggy foams, I think.

azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #22
2006 2.2 National Champ

Good idea with the torch on the springs.

I also run my rear shocks more vertical then the fronts, and really like the way it performs by putting more weight on the front axle. I like how you mounted the lower links inside the chassis too. I'm glad to hear it's working good for you. I never knew who ended up with the SW3 chassis' that were in the national's raffle.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

The variety of creative ideas you see all the time is what makes this place so great. That is well thought out approach to a dig set up...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I never knew who ended up with the SW3 chassis' that were in the national's raffle.
I ended up with one ,I will start building it shortly.

Thanks Brad
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #25

Great lookin build, i would like to do a dig especially after todays BPRCA comp where the dig schools those without! Nice...
RWKXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Default More X-mas Stuff

Sharky got in on the X-mas goodies too. I love the old Jaws themed paint on Sharky and since he's been doing so well, Blue10 drove him to victory at PARC's last comp, I asked Santa Crawls for a new Grappler body....

And got more !!! Some baddly needed M3 M2K's, CC BEC, and low-snag bolts for his AXIAL beadlocks. The body is BAD A$$ and the paint came out awesome, I'll post pics later.

Thanks Santa Crawls !!!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Default Grappler Pics

Here are the pics of Sharky's new lid. I cut it almost stock, only had to cut the fenders an extra 1/4". It's a superbe crawler body, nice job LOSI !!!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

why is there plastic on the rear lower links?
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
why is there plastic on the rear lower links?
to help go over the rocks lol
bodybags101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Nice clean build azvader some very nice touches as well as one of the most creative digs yet. Sharky looks like a real predator.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Default Better Brakes

The dig I made for Sharky was a really good prototype. The drive cup/pin engagement works perfect, I've made about 4 more since. I quickly discovered that the brake surface was to small and didn't hold well enough. On the later digs I built I used a larger surface, 20mm vs 13mm, big difference.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

looks killer
iwantoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Default Sexy-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantoffroad View Post
looks killer
If you liked Sharky's looks before, check this out.

I know it's a little over the top but I traded some work for it, so I couldn't resist. It went together perfect, everything lined up and fit tight. The case is slightly smaller and the motor plate is worth the extra oz of weight. After a mock-up and test fit, I cut about 3/8" off the end of the motor plate and made a little more room on the skid plate. Also, I made a seal/cover for the opening on the bottom of the transmission.

During final assemble I installed a metal gear on the spur shaft, my LHS was out of metal ones when I first built the trans. The Kill Switch fit like a glove !! Another advantage to the alloy case is super solid mounting points.

WOW !!!!! SEXY !!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #34
Keep it real

That looks really good in there, and certainly raises the strength, and sexiness
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote