Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Rock Surfn - another tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Hope to see an update soon. Looks like Im running this chassis as well.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #22
varcor.org

some updates of the new shock mounts - a BIG THANKS to WRECKER!!!

what's next? after this weekend's GTG, she performed well but still needs some tweaking. i'll be adding some wheel weights in the range of 6-8 oz in the front and 4-6 oz in the rear. the droop setup worked but not as effectively as i hope - some weight should solve that. the 2/3a saddle packs from John Holmes worked awesome. with my brushless setup, i believe i ran well over an hour of trail riding.

after that, my steering radius sucks so i'll be adding a front dig setup.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #23
[HOONIGAN]

Lookin bad azz dude!!
I'm glad you like the new shock mounts, they should be 100x stronger than the other setup.
Let's see some pics of this bad boy on the rocks!
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #24
varcor.org

i'll get some this weekend at the GTG for Zach. hopefully i'll have a dig setup running...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Try an r2 disconect and try and squeeze a seat in there and with the other posts I saw, maybe a barbie.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #26
varcor.org

going with a homemade dig setup. from what i've read, the r2d needs a little tweaking before i drop the cash for one. plus, i like my pede - brushless setup. if anything, i'll swap to a ax-10 or losi trans.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #27
varcor.org

Default Dig update

Well I started my dig setup today. I was using parts (aluminum slider and brake ring) of a dig setup I got with another project. However, the setup won't work with my tuber. How far forward I mounted my trans, the dig slider hits the skid plate during articulation. Basically, the rear suspension droop a 1/4" before it hits. I can't trim the skid plate because it's to close to the lower suspension mount which would weaken it. So I'm going to try another setup using plastic so I can use the pin method for brakes and move the slider closer to the rear or wait until I can afford the R2D (or the HD version).

Old 12-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Bummer on the dig. I'm placing the pieces on my chassis I recived today (thanks wrecker and I'm going with a home brew dig at some point. More to consider now that you mention this.

I'm running an axial tranny brushed with wk axles. Ill post it once I get more parts/progress on it.

Yours is lookin real good!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #29
varcor.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I'm running an axial tranny brushed with wk axles. Ill post it once I get more parts/progress on it.

Yours is lookin real good!
thanks. wrecker does a great job. after this GTG and if i can sell my TXT to fund this project, i plan to move the trans back a little and attempt to reverse triangulate the lower links and have the uppers as parallel - similar to the CG-1 setup. this may improve my dig setup possibility.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #30
varcor.org

well the 11.5" WB did not help at all for me this past weekend. i think the shorter front links caused too much binding or the shocks would not allow the front end to droop. i ran both 4oz and 2oz in the axial wheels and no difference. the same lines i ran with a 12" WB and no weight, i could not even get up or over. however, i was able to make some of the tighter turns on the course!!! so i have no decided what to do with her. shane (zach's dad) gave me some suggestions based on his 1:1 experience. so once the holidays are over, i'll start the rebuild!!!

here are some pics from the GTG:

Last edited by swell searcher; 12-17-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

It looks badass though man

I ran my short links in back when I ran my short WB setup. I also didnt run dropp and used short shocks(jato) with eyes in each end.

You need to make your way north. Crete Werock course is awesome for RC's as well as 1-1's Besides we need to put this thing up against my new setup
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #32
[HOONIGAN]

Yeah, with an 11.5" wb your going to get some goofy stuff going on with the link geometry and the shock angle since it was designed for 12.5" wb. I think you'll be much happier with the performance and the way it drives with a 12.5" wb.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #33
varcor.org

rocktoy - i won't be making any trips north until early spring unless i ride shotgun with someone. i'm taking the plunge and buying a condo/house in a few weeks. so basically the TJ is becoming a mall crawler for a few months - can't afford to fix anything i break - i'm not becoming a fireman yet, i still have my heep!!!

wrecker - i plan on bring the wb back to 12" or 12.5". i'm trying to get ahold of R2 disconnect and possible trying a reverse triangulation. but it's tight fit.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Congrats on the house deal man. I know you been talking about it awhile. I'm not far behind

Barby jeep will always be a mall crawler to me
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Looks good! I've been playing with my setup and have the front end where I like it. Very cool chassis so far. I'm a little held up on my build right now and no camara yet. Hopefully figure out my drivetrain issues by the 3rd at the latest.

Trying to mate maxx shafts with an axial trans. Not workin to well with the spur in the way