RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya TLT Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/)
-   -   Robb's Kinda Droop/Kinda Scale TLT (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/92748-robbs-kinda-droop-kinda-scale-tlt.html)

Robb 11-19-2007 10:09 PM

Robb's Kinda Droop/Kinda Scale TLT

7 Attachment(s)
MFM Chassis
TLT Axles (front PITA BTA)
Four-Link
"Droop" Shock Susp
R2 Tranny
Revo DS's
TF Body

That is the plan for now. As always, it will change. This is a quickie build for a local GTG, so parts and install will depend on the shipping of the USPS and the time I want to put towards it on my days off.:) But overall, this rig will be built, wait for parts, finished, tested, and run in less than two weeks in a local GTG.

This is where it stands now, with the stuff I gotta do around T-giving (with a poker tourney thrown in on Saturday), where it will stand for the next week or so..........................but it will get done."thumbsup"

The battery is set where it will probably be for now based on simplicity and availability. Not the best place for CG, but I will deal with it for now.

dieselfuel 11-19-2007 10:23 PM

good work so far. i like the bta it looks plenty beefy. i love these mfm chassis, im actually building a scaler on one now. all i can recommend is a different battery.

swell searcher 11-20-2007 05:50 AM

nice job. i like the BTA steering. can't wait to see it at a GTG.

Robb 11-25-2007 07:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Didn't get many parts this week, so not too much progress over the weekend.

I sure as heck made her Yella though!!!"thumbsup"

goobs 11-25-2007 08:17 PM

did the r2 go right in or did u have to modify the chassis or the tranny or niether?

Robb 11-26-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goobs (Post 937165)
did the r2 go right in or did u have to modify the chassis or the tranny or niether?

The width is perfect for the chassis. Just lined up one screw on each side, then drilled one hole per side for a total of two screws on each side. I will probably rig a bracket in the future so I can mount all four side screws, but I will run it like this for now.

Robb 11-26-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usmc8541 (Post 938587)
I think you'd be better off with shorter shocks though, so you wont have to lay them down as much. Just a thought try 60 or 80mm shocks."thumbsup""thumbsup"

That setup is definitely just a first draft. Those are 80mm shocks, and I agree, as they sit, just a tad flat. I can mount them on the chassis a little higher, but that will take "widening" them which will lead to link/chassis alignment issues.........or I just raise the whole thing a little, which will raise the COG.

It will take some experimentation, but I will find a decent compromise.

Usmc8541 11-26-2007 09:58 PM

Try 60mm and some really short rod ends if you can find them at your Hobby Clown!:lol:

The ones Run2Jeepn sells are pretty short, though. They're only 2-1/3" end to end. Click.

Defender 11-27-2007 05:52 AM

or if you have some scrap aluminum you could just make some shock towers pretty easily. Thats what I've seen a few ppl do with those chassis.

gyrene 11-27-2007 06:38 AM

Nice truck. Yellow usually doesn't look that good to me.....but this is really nice.;-)

FatGremlins 11-30-2007 04:07 PM

The BTA steering looks like it might hang up on something after the front axle clears an object. Have you tried moving the BTA steering link above the pinion? And since its a droop setup, the bottom link shouldnt be interfering with its range of motion.

Robb 12-06-2007 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took it out for it's maiden voyage last weekend, and although "okay" for being a virgin, it needs quite a bit of work.

Needed:
-properly limit the rear axle
-more weight in front tires (and throw away annoying BBs)
-memory foams in all four tires
-continuously tweek the shocks (and replace with aluminums)
-install a real steering servo (and throw away two TPs)
-experiment with Mamba/BL/Lipo combo

-STEERING!!! Stock TLT u-joint steering sucks!!! I had WK and AX10 based rigs doing single point turns that would take me 3-5 points to do!

Got the steering fixed up tonight though. CVDs and shaved knuckles are like night-n-day from stock!"thumbsup"