Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT scale Bruiser style build up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Web Wheeling

Default TLT scale Bruiser style build up

Well lets start with the idea. Some time ago I picked this bruiser cab up from Highmark with the intention of building up a TLT based crawler with a tube frame. Well that idea got put aside. And recently I bought his TLT which came with a hacked up bruiser frame. Ideas got kicked around but I didn't do anything with it.

Last night I started looking at the axles, bruiser frame rails, and the cab again. And tonight I set the axles on the table. Mocked up the frame and the body using varius objects to hold things in place. Then I took a picture and went back to thinking about how to tackle this one.

I knew I wanted some aluminum side plates bolted to the frame rails to bolt up the 4 links and to mount the tranny to. So I started with the plates. And then I followed up with a lower skid to bolt the tranny to. The skid is bolted to the side plates with 4 screws.

The battery will go length wise up front between the frame rails. The shocks I will figure out once the 4 links are in place and body height is determined.

After I have a complete roller with shocks mounted and body in place. I will then follow up with a roll cage that will bolt to the bruiser frame rails. I also plan to mount the shocks to the cage.

Here are the pics from tonights initial mockup and first few fabricated parts.

I'll post updates as I make more parts. Next in line are the axle link mounts. Then I just need to figure out link placement on the frame and what sizes are needed.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Here's how the Bruiser frame rail rig looked when it went to Highmark several months ago.....

It was setup to run the 'Pede tranny layed down and the original setup worked quite well.

Prior to being stripped and up for sale.....

I hope this helps you figure out link placement.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
Web Wheeling

And Toyo, thanks for the pics of its previous life. I forgot it was yours before. Right now I have different plans for a 4-link setup. They will be mounted to the new side plates. I will be making new over servo upper link mounts as well. Same style as my other TLT.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Etype, weren't you the one with the highspeed tuber?

Anyway, a bruiser frame will offer some fun options indeed. What do you plan the truck for, competition crawling, or do you want a scale looking trail rig? Keep the pics coming!
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #5
Web Wheeling

Yup, had the tube frame that I raced in our local club for awhile. But it had some weak points which I have learned from. It was my first atempt at brazing and turned out fairly well.

Right now the current idea is to go with a scale crawler, not a full blown comp crawler. I will be keeping the weight as low as possible with keeping everything hidden with the exeption of the servos.

After I get the truck rolling, updates will probably slow down. I will need to do some testing with shock placement setups and link setup as well. Once I am happy with it, I will start the work on the cage.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
Web Wheeling

Well a small update. I have the links all setup and the shocks are mounted with some temp plates right now. I may end up changing the shock setup. But I need to test run this setup before I decide on what I want to do. I will be mounting the electronics and battery this weekend and mount a lexan body on just for testing.

Wheel base is at 11.5 inches and ground clearance is 2.75 inches.

here are the pics, the flex shot isn't at full flex, but its close.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

alright i'm getting back on to my mounty frame build up. Now I have a camo'd clod body to use. thanks for the inspiration

Last edited by rckjeep; 05-12-2005 at 09:46 PM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looks good, but i would raise the tranny flush with the frame rails, and lower the hole frame so that the tranney is at the same hight it was before for a more scale look.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
Web Wheeling

Thanks guys,

Good to see I am inspiring others to start old projects up again :-P

And as for the tranny placement, I am very happy with how it is setup right now. If things were any higher up in the frame, I would have issues with the links hitting the frame rails. And if you look at 4 linked show trucks, many of them have side plates much like this does. The drive shaft angles are also at a good angle with it down this low. Once everything is done, the plate will be painted along with a few other parts.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Web Wheeling

Well I finally built up a cage for this project. I'll post some off body shots if requested.

I took it for a short test drive at one of the local parks. And it is fairly capable for what it is.

Its geared a little tall, but its still low enough to creep up anything that it can handle. And its good to have that wheel speed at times.

Next on the list of things to do with this truck is to make a front bumper and a flat bed for the back. Then its just some small final touch up work. And rear steering will be added soon as well, it needs it.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
Im Brandon

Looks awesome! I love the last pic!!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Where do you live its Beautiful?

I love the scale look of the bruiser chassis.

Good job, thanks for inspiration. Cya.
lunardaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

looks good, more updates when you get them.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Nice rig, all it needs now is a flat bed.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I'd bob a stock bed for it.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

too much $$ for a bed!!
id just make it a flatbed with a winch on the bed or hooks for a scale class cuz that looks pretty dam real
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

You could always go after something like this... Always wanted to do something like this to my Toyota:

outcastrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #18
Web Wheeling

First off, outcast I hate you! That just looks to good. And I might have to try somthing along those lines now. I was already thinking of using some brass sqaure tubing for side rails.

As for all the small detail pieces, they may be added in later. First I need to make the flatbed its self. And I might add a space for a spare tire, or maybe even two spares. But I will not run with them all the time. When I first started this project I was thinking about adding in a tool box behind the cab. And putting the electronics inside of the tool box, stealth storage :p

lunar, I live in Minnesota. Everything is finally starting to sprout, and summer is well on its way now. These pictures were taken at a near by park on a lake.

Thanks for all the comments so far guys. I hope to get some work done on the flat bed soon. I just need to mock up some ideas when I have the time.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

so what exactly is tlt and bruiser off that beast the black pickup is the frame and shit all tlt can any one show me a stock tlt with the body off please
dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotson
so what exactly is tlt and bruiser off that beast the black pickup is the frame and shit all tlt can any one show me a stock tlt with the body off please
that really doesnt make any sense

use search for a pic
Frkan is offline   Reply With Quote