Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Custom tuber (2nd attempt)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

SHES ALMOST A ROLLER!!

i got the susp links all cut and tapped down to length, i tapped out the shock mounts and i have another shock mount ready to be welded to the frame. the rear servo mount is almost done, it just needs to get braced and i need to find a servo for it. A new stub shaft is on the way (thanks TANK) And I think i will end up making a new skid. Heres the pics...

Let me know what you think. More to come later...
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Looking good man.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Looking good man.
thanks, runs goos too. Yep, i got it ruinnin in a temporary state. I still need to weld the rear shock monts on but i have the shocks zip tied to the frame so i can run it for now. I got it going almost straight up, turned the tire and hooked it on an edge and it pushed up (straight up) for about 6 inches until it lost its lock on the edge and flipped.I ordered some stampede drivelines from tcs and drilled holes in the drivelines attached to the tranny and axles:?. if that makes sense to you then.

I love the rear triangulation, it keeps the axle totally center and the axles dont pull up under the chassis when it articulates:-P.

I'll post some pictures later so be on the lookout
Old 01-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Looks good.
Turn the heat up on the welder. The welds will flow out and look much better.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Thanks,

if your talking about the welds on the skid I know they look like crap but any hotter and it would've burnt through.I am going to redo the whole skid soon probably anyway.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Nice job stallion. Thanks for posting pics.....cant wait to see tranny mounted with drive lines attached.....
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Default looks great

can't wait to see it. i to been makeing tubers. i use 3/16 and 1/4 inch tubing for my chassis and braze them. some times it flows and somedays it doesn't. here the start of number 15

budleyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Looks cool budley. and thanks Bronco.

I had it out driving yesterday and broke the axle housing. I broke the C off the end. I need metal ones so if anyone has some for sale or trade hit me up.

I will get pics hopefully tonight
Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #29

nice lines on that. I wasnt sure about it until i saw it built and how it looked with wheelbase. real nice
kpfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Time for an Update finally. Man i swear I cant keep this thing running for more than two days and I break it. Those axle c's came the other day so i got to work hooking those up and putting all my electronics on there. I did some tweaking and got it all going. I had it at my freinds house and was driving it, it did great. Brought it back to my house and it was doing wonders. Then I was coming down off this rock and transferring to another when my front right tire stopped spinning all of a sudden. yep, broke the end of the axle shaft clean off. so now i am goin to buy some more and try my hand at hardenning them when they get here.
Pictures are soon to follow.
-Rick
Old 04-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

FINALLY I have time to work on my projects now that I am on spring break. I am still have problems with the axle shafts breaking tho. I have broken three now. But i just ordered some cvds so its all good. I have been working on a plate for the back to hold the receiver battery and the on-off switches. looks pretty cool. and i made one of the side panels (im working on the other one). check it out..

to do...
-finish the other side panel and weld them on
-weld nuts to the rear end so i can mount the battery plate.
-make a hood out of metal
- move the reciever to the backside of the tranny.
-get the chassis powder coated.

let me know what you think
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #32
I joined the Band!

Looks awesome man, for my next tuber I think i'm going to base it off this one!!!
rebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

hey thanks man. I actually based my design off of a tuber that Mr.Pink made for Rcp. HERE is his design.

... I decided to make my tuber full 2.2 comp legal. . I bought some all thread and threw together some links. Here is what I came up with...

Wb is a hair under 12.5"
Ground clearance is around 2.5-3"
front links are bent for maximum clearance
front shocks converted to droop with sprung rear.

More soon to come.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

That is a very sweet looking tuber. How do you like the feel without shock springs compared to with them. Also what wideners are you using? Do you think that they have anything to do with the axle breakage? I have been running mine without any (can't find them) and have had no breakage at all
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Acutally i think that is one of the problems. One of the other problems is that the motor/tranny combo has so much torque that you have to be really careful when you bind it up. for example, I bought the rc4wd hardened steel axle shafts and it bent the drive pins on the end over. I am running the old generation junfacs. I havnt tried with the springs yet but I couldnt give you a fair comparison even if i had seeing as i only have 3 wheel drive until my Cvd's get here. when i get my cvds I will try it out and let you know.

updates...
I have added about 3/4 lb of lead to the front tires
I moved the receiver to the backside of the tranny
I broke the last axle shaft just a minute ago. but it was the front one so its okay.

More to come..
Old 04-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

got the cvd's today. Runs EXCELLENT! I love how heavy this pig is. 6 lbs keeps all of the wheels on the ground for the most part. I can't wait for the comp in May.Pics>
**panels are taped on for now until i can weld some nuts to the frame to mount em**

My electronics, a little cramped but it looks good...

let me know what you think...
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I think it looks pretty darn good. I like that front end style.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

thanks man. I like this design a lot. looks more agressive then with a round or sqaure nose.

Got my truck in a little bit of a bind. I setup a few gates in my backyard course and had my dad judge. I was coming off the last gate and had a little fall. I hit full throttle and jumped it off a 2ft. drop. landed on the front right tire alone. the only thing that happened was the bottom link buckled like a taco. so i took my junfac links and cut 'em up. heres what i got...

I am also fabbing up a battery mount for my rear axle. keeps the wieght nice and low.

More to come...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

I got eberything all hooked up. worked great. then...what do i hear?*snap* broke the rear axle shafts. so i ordered up some straight axles for the rear. also got some aluminum nuckles. I am also working on a design for rear dig. all of this time waiting for parts gives me time to make changes and improvements on my truck. but it costs money:-(
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

FINISHED!!!!

finally. but of course no project is ever actually finished. I got the panels all cut up and mounted. Added a brace to the front section. I started on a dig unit out of galvinized pipe. I finished the unit but I need to mount the servo and work out the kinks. so i guess you could say its done with upgrades to come.

PICS-
**all pics are NOT poser pics. drove into and out of all situations...**

CAN'T WAIT for the comp on may 3rd:-P