Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Custom tuber (2nd attempt)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Custom tuber (2nd attempt)

Hi guys, I just had the chance to bend up and weld a new tuber since my last "Hummer project" didnt turn out. It has been an on going build for about a year now and i think i finally know enough to get one together that i am happy with. This might be a slow build but it should be pretty cool when Im done with it. Well here is what i have so far...

I need to clean things up a little and drill some more holes but it is close to being a done chassis.Let me know what you think...
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

What do you plan on using for a trans
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I can not even imagine how much time it is going to take to clean all those welds... it will be worth it though, looks good.

one thing I have always told people. I am not to big a fan of drilling into the tube to mount links, shocks, or trannys. Those need to be some of the strongest points on the chassis and by drilling though tube you are making them weaker. take the time to make some plates to bolt your links to, you have a welder so attaching them will be no problem.

Also, brace up that front end. you need to have at least two contact points with the main chassis. Think triangulation.

get to grinding.

keep us posted.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I plan on using a stampede for now but in the future i might invest in a r2d.

and Mr. pink i think it is you who designed the chassis that i based this off of (thanks) I am not a fan of drilling either but i dont have a welder so im SOL but i might be able to do something like that and borrow my freinds welder agian. I started the grinding and it is slow going but it will be worth it. I have a christmas tree barb so that will make things go a lot faster.

I'll post some pics when i get more grinding done.Kepp those comments rolling...
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Alright i got most of the grinding done and i started on the body panels...

just an example...

I remembered the other day that it is not tube but it is 3/16 steel rod so it should be strong enough as it is. i need to drill some more holes and clean up a few more joints before i can try to get it rolling.

let me know what you think
Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That looks real good. I agree that the front needs another connection to the rest of the chassis. If you hit something hard it will bend or break at the weld. I would run a brace from what looks like your shock mounts, down to by the motor.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Alrighty, a christmas update is due...

Thanks TMXONR. again i think i am going to leave the front alone because it is solid 3/16th inch steel. i am not running brushless so it wont be under too much pressure. you might be right but i am still goin to try it my way first (thats how i learn)

I got a new r2 transmission and a set of rc4wd rock stompers, THESE THINGS ARE HUGE! the stompers are taller than all-t's and skinnier then moabs! Crazy. The lugs are at least a 1/4 inch tall so there is plenty of tread life. they look like they need to be softened up a little tho, a little crawlin will take care of that!

Here are some pics...

oh, and i just spent $111 at tcs so you'll be seeing more in a few days.

CHASSIS UPDATE: all of the holes are drilled and the welds are smoothed down. My freind broke off a tap in one of my shock mounts so i have to grind that off and make a new one but this thing should be running pretty soon! I am exited

Please leave comments, they are always helpful
Old 12-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #8

Your tubers looking pretty good. I assume your going sprung on the shocks. What wheel base are you going for?
whjdm069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
pup
Quarry Creeper

Get that thing together and let us know how those tires work. Tuber is looking nice by the way.
pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Looks good...coming alone real nice, but I am going to throw in another "that front end needs some additional bracing back to the main chassis" comments:-P

Also, just because it's solid rod, doesn't make it stronger. Tube is inherently stronger than rod of the same diameter given the wall thickness isn't of course hair thin. If Pink is saying ya need the extra support...especially since your's was based off his design...I'd take his advice.

Adding a couple small pieces of tube now, rather than later after you've painted it and assembled it, will save you time in the end.

Last edited by Offroader5; 12-26-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Can you post a pic of those Stompers next to a Moab (if you have one)?

I may be needing some of those!

Tuber looks good to me...I'd run with it.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

really nice... not sure how your gonna like the stompers from what people have said about their performance, but if your not gonna do any comps with it, itll look awesome.!
waiting for updates...
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

thank you all for the feedback...

whjdm069-my wheelbase is going to be 13.5-14 inches. I would keep it comp legal but the tuber dimensions are too big so it wouldnt matter. I'll be runnin with supers.

I am thinking about the support but im not sure yet. I have to go im in a huirry but heres that picture..

Old 12-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Thanks!

That tire is a beast!
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yah these tires are SICK! they have insane tread and are plenty tall. they are almost too skinny for the beadlocks i have. here is the list of parts i ordered...

Code:
SKU16165TLT Rubber Shielded Bearing Kit (20 piece) for two TLT axles $18.80  1$18.80  SKU16239Hot Bodies Threaded Aluminum Body Shocks Blue (2) #25011 $18.99  2$37.98  SKU16252Heavy Duty Steering Rods for TLT-1 or Max Climber $16.00  1$16.00  SKU32362Novak Fifty Five Crawler Brushed Motor #3555 $23.99  1$23.99  SKU16286Tamiya Upper/Lower Suspension Stay 9804179 $3.50  1$3.50  SKU16285Tamiya Screw Bag A 9464050 $3.89  1$3.89  Subtotal: $104.16   Shipping cost: $7.03   Total: $
they should be here tommorow or the next day

Im going to go grind off the rear shock mount and make a new one. i am hoping to get the tranny mounted too. I'll update when i get that done.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
~THE SCALE SHOP~

can the driver see over the "hood"

looks like a killer parts list!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
can the driver see over the "hood"

looks like a killer parts list!
No, he'll have to drive doggy style with his head hanging out the window and just hope we doesn't hit a sidewall. And oh yes, it is a great way to spend $111

I got one of the servo/top link mount plates done and i am going to start on another one when im done posting this...
heres a couple pics

more to come...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

My parts came in today. so far i have one axle put together completely with new housings, bearings, custom servo/link mount, ne tlt susp. mounts, wheel wideners, and junfac steering rods. I also attached the motor to the tranny and got the old shock mounts on the chassis ground off.

I think i did a pretty good job on the servo mount but it still needs a few minor tweaks. I am going on vacation tommorow so I wont have any new updates for a while but i plan to have this thing running shortly after the newyear:grin:I cant wait, i am starting to get rock deprived....
Old 12-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #19
RCC Addict

YOu are a LOOSER> I just had talked myself out of trying to build a tuber. And I see this

Great JOB!! What size rod are u using?? After seeing your chassis, I bought 3/16" rod. I though 1/4 was too much.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
YOu are a LOOSER> I just had talked myself out of trying to build a tuber. And I see this

Great JOB!! What size rod are u using?? After seeing your chassis, I bought 3/16" rod. I though 1/4 was too much.
yah, i had to talk myself INTO building one but it wasnt a hard thing to do. The rod is 3/16 inch steel and im using 26 gauge steel for the skid and servo plates.

thanks.

Oh, UPDATE: I got the second servo mount started and the second axle almost tied up. it has the bearings in, one knuckle on, and the steerig linkage attached. I will be leaving for my vacation in a few hours.