Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Look what came in the mail...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Look what came in the mail...

Heh heh... this is going to be an interesting scale buildup thread (I hope). Josh came through with something really cool... I'll give you two teaser pics. Let's just say that after I got it, I had to celebrate... Many, many, many thanks to Hulk, aka Josh, who is an incredible fabricator (unlike myself) and a real good guy!

-John
Attached Images

radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Congratulations radishkid, Hulk is one of the better Tuber builders.
Make sure you put a classy paint job on that well crafted frame.
BultacoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm with you on that SuperSancho! Do these rigs perform as well as they look?
Jim511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

We'll find out, I think they're a little more looks than performance, but I think I'll take the looks in this case.

I'm sandblasting it Monday, and it will be at the powdercoaters by Friday.

The kicker, I'm coating up a set of bruiser axles to go with it.

Suggestions please; What color? I'm going to go with a Kawasaki Green, but a close second is a cherry red. Remember this is going to be powder coat on the chassis, axles, and beadlock rings. The body will actually be white or silver, maybe a little in the way of graphics in a matching color. The side panels that Josh made will actually serve as a template. I'm going to be making side panels out of aluminum. So who thinks what?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

the kawasaki green with silver body panels would look really nice
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

These are going to be the axles...

Modifications planned:

-I've already flattened the 4 tiny plates that hold the knuckles on, this improved the slop in the knuckles substantially...
-I measures the gap between the axle stubs and the knuckles; 0.020", so I took 0.010" shim stock and fabricated 2 collars to slip in between. This will probably wear like crazy on the stubs, but I may not end up running these axles for long.
-I'll be narrowing the rear axle by 1/2", this simply means removing the collars on the end of the rear axles, chopping 1/4" off each collar, and reinstalling. Then I'll slot the axles accordingly.

My major complaint with bruiser axles is that they have an insane amount of slop, and the fronts are narrower than the rears. Parts are $$$$$$$$$$, so if I damage anything, you can bet I'll be going back to my TLT's.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

well if you ever feel like getting rid of those axels ill take them off your hands
mrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
2006 2.2 National Champ

Thumbs up

That's going to look sweet with the Bruiser axles. I say cherry red and silver for colors.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Don't. Because I've had these for about 5 years now without any use for them. I'm trying to figure out how to best convert them to hex adapters.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you are getting those axles powdercoated make sure that the place does not sandblast them, I hear that those cases are very brittle to sandblasting and don't hold up
Jim511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSancho
Hulk does indeed build sweet looking Tubers...one of my Favorites is Hooptys[/img]
god damn it, i need a better picture than that one. i've been so busy the friggin thing still hasnt seen dirt or daylight. a pic of it just sitting there on my ugly bed with the morning news in the background is a shame, it doesnt do the rig justice at all.

hulk really is a great guy, he even customizes his shipping labels.

radishkid, i got the 'near chrome' powdercoat and its nice. regardless of the color, hella nice rig you got there. (i'd go cherry red powdercoat, gives you alot more tastefull colors to match it with, green only goes well with a somewhat limited range.)

Last edited by badhoopty; 05-22-2005 at 09:00 AM.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am, it's getting sandblasted monday, then off to the powdercoaters the next day... Badhoopty, can you give me some info on the Kyosho motor and reduction you're using? I'm considering that or maybe a brushless with a gd600...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

5/31/05

I shortened the rear axle and drilled it for 12mm hexes and pins. I'm replacing the fronts with blackfoot stubs, and I've properly shimmed the hubs with brass sheet stock to get rid of the damn bruiser slop.

I also scored a set of JPS 2.2 beadlocks on eBay. The chassis and axles are sandblasted (the axles with walnutshell) and are awaiting the beadlock rings to arrive before going off to Prestige Powdercoating. I've decided on Cherry Red.

Power will be a GD600/Novak brushless system.

Last, I'm tinkering with a cantilever system running f201 shocks with inner springs. We'll see.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 PM   #14
Im Brandon

Let me know how the inner springs work out, i was messing with a similar setup tonight, but the smaller size springs just dont seem stiff enough. What springs are you going to use?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:02 AM   #15
Sinking with the ship

Default axles

hey dude make sure when they powdercoat the axles they do them on a flat surface, the cases are made from pot metal which sux, and with an extreme amount of heat can warp...i have scene some guys on other boards get the axles back and the halfs dont come together and touch at the end.

the frame looks awesome, i have a hulk werks and not only is it scale but also very functional, youll be really happy with that.

later
mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 06-09-2005 at 06:18 AM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by radishkid
I am, it's getting sandblasted monday, then off to the powdercoaters the next day... Badhoopty, can you give me some info on the Kyosho motor and reduction you're using? I'm considering that or maybe a brushless with a gd600...
i know i'm a little late, but its a kyosho 480 can hooked up to a mpjet planetary reduction. the mpjet has the same issues as a gd600 in which you need to hog out the pinions to fit it, and you also need to make an adaptor to make it fit into a 540 sized motor slot. bill at rcalloys did all that for me.

i get an hour and 15 minutes runtime with enough torque to break axles an spin hexes, but still enough speed to throw up some roost.

i always thought that a brushless in a crawler was a bad idea due to thier not having engine braking? maybe with a gear reduction that is lessoned or maybe i just thought wrong. ;)

as far as the little hulkwerks tubers performing, mine does. ;) but i ended up sending it back to josh for some tweaks to the 4-link mount locations to get the geometry just right.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #17

Default Wow

Can any body tell me how or where to get in touch with this guy cause that looks sweet my e-mail is aaa1182@aol.com I am thinking about getting a TLT when I return from my deployment
ceasarpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #18

what happened i want to see it finished
broncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

8/4/05

Woo Hoo! Back from the powder coaters today, will have pics up by the end of the evening :-P

Now if only JPS would ever send me those wheels I purchased 3 months ago
Old 08-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default PICS, 56K Warning...

http://www.tinypic.com/view/?pic=a09ta0

http://www.tinypic.com/view/?pic=a09tty

http://www.tinypic.com/view/?pic=a09tz6

The color is Fire Engine Red, photos don't do it justice...