Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Need a good chassis recommendation for bashing and casual crawling.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

Question Need a good clod chassis recommendation for bashing and casual crawling.

Hi guys,

I have a TXT-1 which I'm going to use the axles and other parts from. I'm interested in casual bashing and rock crawling so I need something with a good balance of strength and ground clearance. So far I have seen the GMADE Spider chassis which looks perfect, if a little expensive.

I'd be very grateful if you could offer advice on suitable chassis kits as I'm new to this hobby.

Many thanks,
Steve.

Last edited by PumpkinPie; 12-28-2008 at 11:26 AM.
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

The stock chassis is great for bashing, if thats all your doing why change? I have a couple of TXT's, one crawls and bashes, the other does mainly bashing, both have the TXT chassis slightly modified.

Other than that I could recommend a SW2.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #3

I don't like the monster truck look, it looks too high and the belly of the chassis is too low for my liking. I bought the truck mainly for it's components in the hope that I can change some stuff around on it...

My garden is full of logs, it has some steps, 16" drops etc...sort of like an obstacle course which I'd like to take the truck on but I think at the moment it's crawling skills are not good enough and it's too top-heavy to be able to drive down the steps, which is why I was looking at the Spider chassis, to spread the wheelbase out and lower it a little.

Apologies moderator, I assumed this topic was better suited to the Clod area as the thread is about a Clod chassis...
Old 12-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

Have you read this tech artical yet? http://www.rccrawler.com/20txt.htm
It's a great start on lowering the CG and streching the WB while keeping the stock chassis. There are also a lot of builds on this forum that have kept the chassis and mad some minor-major mods to make it a very capable crawler. I too have contemplated using the TXT-1 components on another chassis, but I think I'm just going to modify it as far as I can myself 1st.
JC Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

Check this rig out, basically a stock TXT with minimal modifications and VERY capable.

ROCKTAPUS
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Basic TXT build up
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadork View Post
Thanks. I don't think anyone is reading anymore these days.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #8

:? Thanks for that...does anyone have an answer to my question though rather than making other suggestions?

I'm looking for a clod chassis, which one is good for bashing and casual crawling?

Last edited by PumpkinPie; 12-28-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ok Steve,

Since you are new to the Hobby, we did want to help you out, which is why we gave you links to incredible TXT-1's that still uses the Stock Chassis. Its not that we don't want to help you, if you want to blow $200 on a chassis, go for it, I know I would rather spend $20 manipulating the chassis and use the rest for smoke and drink.

So with that in mind.
GMADE (YOU will have to figure out where to mount the tranny, but its a great chassis)
ESP Hobbies (You will have to figure out where to mount the tranny)
RCP Crawlers (You will have to figure out where to mount the tranny)
New Era Models (You will have to figure out where to mount the tranny)

ETC and so forth, they are all good, they all require you to fiddle with them, which depending on how well of a fidller you are determines just how much GOODER your truck will be compared to others. (Strength, Stability, Traction, etc)

I would modify the chassis myself, but if I was just given axles and a tranny, then I'd probably order a Bender SWX or SW2

Last edited by justadork; 12-28-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadork View Post
Ok Steve,

Since you are new to the Hobby, we did want to help you out, which is why we gave you links to incredible TXT-1's that still uses the Stock Chassis. Its not that we don't want to help you, if you want to blow $200 on a chassis, go for it, I know I would rather spend $20 manipulating the chassis and use the rest for smoke and drink.

So with that in mind.
GMADE (YOU will have to figure out where to mount the tranny, but its a great chassis)
ESP Hobbies (You will have to figure out where to mount the tranny)
RCP Crawlers (You will have to figure out where to mount the tranny)
New Era Models (You will have to figure out where to mount the tranny)

ETC and so forth, they are all good, they all require you to fiddle with them, which depending on how well of a fidller you are determines just how much GOODER your truck will be compared to others. (Strength, Stability, Traction, etc)

I would modify the chassis myself, but if I was just given axles and a tranny, then I'd probably order a Bender SWX or SW2
Thanks a lot , I don't want you to think that I'm not grateful for the advice, I really do appreciate it, I just like to have things done properly and looking nice. Having a roughly cut, chopped-up chassis just doesn't appeal to me. Of course, everyone is different I will take everything that has been said into consideration.

Kind regards,
Steve.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPie View Post
Having a roughly cut, chopped-up chassis just doesn't appeal to me.
That's all dependent on how good you are with the tools.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I know how you feel. I felt the same way, I didn't want a rig that looked like a hack job either. Some of the rigs out there are not very apealing to the eye. However once in a while you will come across a rig that might look like it's held together with only rubberbands and bubblegum but it might just out perform your picture perfect rig. Anyway I did the basic TXT chassis mod to mine and was very skeptical about how it would look. If you take your time and do a nice clean job it can look like it came from the factory that way. Either way the TXT axles are great axles to have under your rig.

dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont slow down View Post
I know how you feel. I felt the same way, I didn't want a rig that looked like a hack job either. Some of the rigs out there are not very apealing to the eye. However once in a while you will come across a rig that might look like it's held together with only rubberbands and bubblegum but it might just out perform your picture perfect rig. Anyway I did the basic TXT chassis mod to mine and was very skeptical about how it would look. If you take your time and do a nice clean job it can look like it came from the factory that way. Either way the TXT axles are great axles to have under your rig.

That looks really good, just like a factory finish What belly clearance do you have on that?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

That looks like about 5"

I don't like the look of high bodies though.

That triangle thing you see on the chassis is now removed, too.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Of course I have been reworking this truck since this picture, it about 4" center clearance and yet the body sits even lower
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Default i know

Nothing like a nice home built chassis for a basher....good thing about building one is if you ever want to sell the truck the stock chassis is in great shape sitting on a shelf while your out bashing lol
gac1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gac1983 View Post
Nothing like a nice home built chassis for a basher....good thing about building one is if you ever want to sell the truck the stock chassis is in great shape sitting on a shelf while your out bashing lol
Ha, too late . I decided to cut mine up after the guys here showed me the error of my ways, it's looking good but now I just need to find a way to make a skid plate. I'm a metalworker but don't have access to the right tools any more since I changed my job :-(
Old 01-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Alright way to go!
I just use some 1/16" aluminum, a hacksaw, a file, a drill, and two vise grips to make my skids. Sometimes I heat the aluminum up with a torch.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #19

This is basically what I have so far (just a mock up since my camera battery is dead). I left the protruding upright there for tranny mounting but considering how top heavy the stock one is, I'm probably going to buy the RC4WD R2 HD, it's cheap enough. I'll simply cut that upright straight off if I do get a new tranny...It really looks like a proper crawler chassis now

I'm wanting to make the wheelbase about 17" so I'm going to make my own links out 1/4" round bar, that should be strong enough, right?

Last edited by PumpkinPie; 01-11-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

1/4" should be strong enough. What do the stock links make it with new chassis mounting points? I cut mine before I did my chassis very similar to yours, so I don't know what the wheelbase would be with stock links.

I "clocked" my tranny and use one motor. It lays down quite well.

I am waiting for some parts to be here and I shall be tearing into it again, will probably post pics too. Even though my chassis is haggard I drilled like a 100 holes in it. But what can I say its been through like 10 years of modifying by me (And I am totally ADHD)

Your chassis looks good.

Good luck.