Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: My TXT in progress...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking My TXT in progress...

Well, I finally got started on this project the other day and decided it was time to start this thread. I wanted to try some proven ideas on this one and come up with some original (hopefully) ones. It's going to have its tranny layed down with a GD600 and reverse mag mayhem (2.5:1, and stock TXT pinion). I've also got Revo shafts for it.

I'm still undecided on the side plates though. I'm getting the side plate dimensions sometime this week, so I want to wait until then to hack them up, just in case I want to make some more. But more importantly, I want to design a set of plates of my own. These will be waterjetted out of .125 6061 (to save mucho weight over the .250 stockers). They will also be heavily chopped of all unnecessary material.

I wanted to place my batts on the front axle, but couldn't find anyone that's done it yet. I found that it would be nearly impossible to mount them there if I used the traditional link/shock mount locations. So, I decided to come up with my own mounts (1st pic). These are made of mild steel to reduce the chance of the threads stripping and to add some weight down low. These are mounted inside the axles where the plastic has been notched (2nd pic). I ran a 5/16" ball-end mill through the mount to provide the clearance for the inner axle to pass through. Then, the mounts are screwed to the axle housing from the top with 3mm cap screws (3rd pic). The lower links and shocks will mount on opposite sides of both mounts. The last pic shows how I want the setup to look.

I'm still trying to figure out which route I want to go with the servo mounts. I used the upper diff covers that were included with the kit (the ones with the clod style steering mount hole) and shaved off that portion of plastic. I think I'll make a combo servo mount/upper link mount to mount on top of the housing instead of in front of it like most everyone else is doing. I'd like to try and keep the servo as far back as possible to avoid any issues with the servo getting smashed by rocks. I used the extra oddball diff covers to try new ideas with, so if for some reason they don't work, I can always go back to the traditional link/servo mount with the other diff covers.
Attached Images

WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Here is the finished axle assy. I also included a pic of the tire/wheel combo that's going on this project. It's the newer version of the K-Rocks with some aluminum wheels I got in a trade. The tires have had every other row of lugs removed (obviously) and then dremmeled smooth. It makes the tire look 100% better but is a MAJOR PITA. I'll never do that again . The wheels have the maxx-sized hex, so I'm using a set of Heydco adaptors that I have.

Here is also a pic of the clocked tranny with GD600/MM installed. I turned down the shaft of the GD and milled off that "round part" on the face(thanks for the idea JIA) so I wouldn't have to enlarge the hole on the motor plate. The entire top of the tranny (the unused portion) will be completely hacked off very soon. I'll probably make some type of cover plate to keep dirt or whatever out.
Attached Images

Last edited by WRMorrison; 05-22-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
CSR
RCC Addict

Love the link mount in the axle idea! Definitely thinking outside the box ;)
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

WoW, looks great. but what are you going to use to cover up the unused side of the tranny.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks CSR (you're the reason I bought the K-Rocks, they look awesome on your TXT )

Mike, I'll probably fab up a new motor plate that I can bend some extra material on top, over, to cover the hole. Or, I may just make a small plate to cover the hole and TIG it to the motor plate, not sure yet.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

well im sure that it will be something innovative knowing you.
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Well, for the time being, I decided to hack up the stock side plates. Later on I may design my own. I decided to use the stockers because of what I wanted to cut out of it, I wasn't sure if the 1/8" aluminum that I'm planning on using will hold up to the stress or not.

Stock TXT side plates weigh 6.4 oz. ea. After much cutting and milling, mine now weigh 3.2 oz. ea. Don't ask me how it worked out so evenly, but that's what the FedEx scale said So basically, I cut the weight of the side plates in half. Since my lower link/shock mounts stick out away from the axle, I can get away with using a shorter OAL chassis.

I was originally planning to further hack the chassis along the black lines at the top of one of the pics, but was afraid that hard use might bend it, I dunno.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
2006 2.2 National Champ

Looks sweet WRM. I like the custom link/shock mounts, very cool.

What's the wheelbase?
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks BENDER, at the moment, WB is right at 16".
Old 05-25-2005, 08:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Looking good. Very cool idea with hiding the mounts in the housing. The mods on the TXT plates look familar That is pretty much how I modded the ones for the F/X truck. Can't wait to see your truck come together, I am sure it will have some innovative and unique parts.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCALLOYS
Looking good. Very cool idea with hiding the mounts in the housing. The mods on the TXT plates look familar That is pretty much how I modded the ones for the F/X truck. Can't wait to see your truck come together, I am sure it will have some innovative and unique parts.
A compliment coming from you Bill is an honor. Don't be surprised to see some more "Bill inspired" parts on this thing . I'm trying to decide on the skid plate/link mount locations on the chassis. I wanted to try and use the existing hole near the bottom/middle of the chassis for the upper link mount, but I'm afraid that I won't have enough vertical separation. I may just have to bite the bullet and drill some new holes. The skid will probably be aluminum for now, but I may replace it with delrin later on as you have. Hopefully, I can start on the tranny mounts in the next day or so (whenever I get more stock in...).

On a side note, Bill, how long have you been making the twin force spools? I think I got one of them in a trade a while back, looks like the ones on your site...

-Rich
Old 05-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Awwww Rich, you're gonna make be blush Glad I've inspired someone and I had a blast inventing all the pieces on my truck as I know you do. Far as the MF spools, we been making them since March of 2003 if I remember right. As stated previous, I will keep my eye on this project. If you end up drilling some optional link mount spots on the plates, have fun. I spend way too much time setting mine up to put new holes in

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 05-25-2005 at 09:16 PM.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Lookin' good so far!

Diggin' those link mounts. Definitely different.

On second thought...

I see tire rubbage issues with the links being that far out on the axle....UNLESS your lower links are in a "V" and the uppers are the opposite "/\".

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 05-25-2005 at 09:26 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Thanks CSR (you're the reason I bought the K-Rocks, they look awesome on your TXT )

Mike, I'll probably fab up a new motor plate that I can bend some extra material on top, over, to cover the hole. Or, I may just make a small plate to cover the hole and TIG it to the motor plate, not sure yet.
the krocks do look good but I think we all know how piss poor they perform. Ditch them!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I may ditch 'em later, but I have to learn things the hard way... I've always got a set of Moabs here I can use
Old 05-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
CSR
RCC Addict

K-rocks have their place. No, not in the trash can! :-P There are a few areas that I crawl regularly, traction is amazing, the surface of the rocks is similiar to 80-grit sandpaper. Moab's and LST's work there, but not as good as the K's because of the extra surface area. Moab's and LST's also wear out QUICK on this stuff, the harder compound of the K-rocks holds up better.

I ran my K-rocks at the Green River event, put my shafty in 4th place amidst a huge agglomeration of Clods and shafted rigs. They're not totally worthless. ;)
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:51 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

One of my major faults is with prototyping. I usually build something as nice and perfect as I can (which takes forever), and sometimes it doesn't work at all and needs to be tweaked slightly. So, on this project I decided to just mock up everything and get it done, trying not to spend too much time on cosmetics. So, I drilled some new holes in the sideplates (I still cringe ) for the link mounts, knowing that I would be using sideplates of my own design (plans going to waterjet this week hopefully).

So, here's a few pics of what got accomplished this weekend. I made the skidplate out of .0625 sheet aluminum, and screwed it to the bottom of the chassis (yes, I know the screws are too long, but it's all I had at the moment). The tranny received a haircut to remove everything that wasn't needed, and I fabbed up tranny mounts from .0625 angle to secure the tranny in three locations (one up, two down). When finished, the chassis will probably be braced once at the top tranny mount (as shown), between the upper shock mounts, and by the skidplate at the bottom.

I know that the skid will probably get hung up in its current form, but remember, this is just to work out some possible bugs. I'll widen the clearance slots in the skidplate later for the Revo's.

Here's some more pics...
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2005, 06:44 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default Close Shave

I see you gave the trans a haircut to match your own. Did you make a custom motor plate or trim the old one?

Looks great!!! I'll have to get a haircut too, my trans not me.
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

WRM, good looking work, again! I'm really anxious to see this one finished! In one of your earlier posts, you mentioned a fear of the stock chassis plates bending during hard use. I had that same fear when I cut mine, but they have held up very, very well. They have lived thru a few tumbles that I thought would certainly tweak them.

Don't worry about the pretty stuff, it's just gonna get banged up anyhow! Git 'r' done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:49 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the compliments guys. Why not get yourself a haircut Mike? Yeah, I cut the stock motor plate, then made a small cover out of some aluminum sheetmetal to cover the exposed spur gear.