RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/)
-   -   Identity crisis for my TXT-1 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/119956-identity-crisis-my-txt-1-a.html)

MonsterDDT 05-20-2008 11:05 AM

Identity crisis for my TXT-1

I'm lost here. Should I configure my TXT-1 to be a basher or crawler??

Now, it's not a good basher even though I run 14.4V with it. The high CG just keep flipping it over. And the top speed is only 14mph.

And, it's not a good crawler neither. It doesn't have monster low end torque and high ground clearence. The high CG also keep flipping it over when climbing.

I guess it has to be heavily modified like those in this forum in order to make it a good crawler (or good basher on the other end). Now, it's neither.

Can I have the flexbility to make it good on both end with simple motor swap or something?

thanks for your advise. :roll:

DDT

Terminator13 05-20-2008 01:01 PM

Im no TXT expert, but here is the aspect I see. Do you have a place to crawl a super or more of a place to bash? Any friends to crawl or bash with? Those are things I consider when Im building a truck.

jmz6 05-25-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsterDDT (Post 1194501)
I'm lost here. Should I configure my TXT-1 to be a basher or crawler??

Now, it's not a good basher even though I run 14.4V with it. The high CG just keep flipping it over. And the top speed is only 14mph.

And, it's not a good crawler neither. It doesn't have monster low end torque and high ground clearence. The high CG also keep flipping it over when climbing.

I guess it has to be heavily modified like those in this forum in order to make it a good crawler (or good basher on the other end). Now, it's neither.

Can I have the flexbility to make it good on both end with simple motor swap or something?

thanks for your advise. :roll:

DDT

Depends what you want... To crawl or bash???? It doesn't take much $$ to convert the TXT into a decent crawler, if that is what you want.
Cut the chassis, remove the cant's, get a GD600 or similar gear reduction unit, and get better tires. Check out some of the write-ups others have done.
Here is my mostly-stock TXT
Attachment 66655
Attachment 66654

MonsterDDT 05-27-2008 03:15 PM

Thanks for you guys input.

I'm kind of greedy and wish to have the flexibility to do both crawling and bashing with simple swaps.

So, over the past weekend, I swapped in an Integy lathe 55T motor together with a 6T pinion. Reduced the 14.4v to 7.2V (lighter and lower CG). I will test this setup when I got a chance today.

I will keep my two Titan 550 handy. In case I want to do some bashing again, I can simply swap them back (probably with higher gear pinion, 20T?) and the 14.4V to make it a basher again.

The ESC I have is EVX-2. I followed the tech section in this site to run it in 7.2V. It works fine so far. I heard the EVX-2 does not have good low end resolution and therefore not good for crawling. But I think with the low enough gear ratio, it's shouldn't really matter, right?

By the way, do you think a 6T pinion is as good as using a GD600? Why people need the GD600 and a 9T pinion if they can buy a cheaper 6T pinion alone? The truck is slow (low gear) enough with a 6T now, I think..........

Thanks,

DDT

dont slow down 07-21-2008 04:07 PM

A gear reduction unit will make more torque than just a 6 tooth pinion alone. The GRU will allow your motor to spin more but without increasing speed, therefore creating more torque. I run two Titan 550 motors in my TXT with a 7 cell battery and 11 tooth pinions and I still have enough torque to crawl most anything. However eventually I would like to get a GRU to help out some more. There are lots of great threads here on how to make the TXT a better crawler. Check out Eeepee's thread on a TXT build-up.

MonsterDDT 07-21-2008 06:41 PM

Hmm.... I doubted if this is true (in theory).

Provide that the battery and the motor are constant, the pinion and the gears are the only variables, a GRU or a pinion serves the same purpose of changing the gear ratio. Just like a mathematical equation, you can adjust both variable to get the same answer. If the final gear is 1/40 for example, what difference does it make using either the pinion or the GRU?

6/240 = 1/40 ......(an analogy to a 6T)
(2*2+6/3-2/4+3/6)/240 = 1/40 (an analogy to a GRU) ...well...that's the idea...........

But if you are saying that the GRU actually give you the final ratio of 1/60... then right, a 6T is not enough.

But my point is, when I use the 6T, the max speed of the rig is very/too slow already. I don't see the playability is any good when go even slower ratio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dont slow down (Post 1269736)
A gear reduction unit will make more torque than just a 6 tooth pinion alone. The GRU will allow your motor to spin more but without increasing speed, therefore creating more torque. I run two Titan 550 motors in my TXT with a 7 cell battery and 11 tooth pinions and I still have enough torque to crawl most anything. However eventually I would like to get a GRU to help out some more. There are lots of great threads here on how to make the TXT a better crawler. Check out Eeepee's thread on a TXT build-up.

thatguy 07-21-2008 10:03 PM

ok to make it easy.if you final ratio is 40:1 with a six tooth pinion. put that same pinion on a 2:1 gru you would end up with a 80:1 ratio. it will be slow(hence the name crawler) but have stump pulling torque. remove the cants. the handling will get much better.for bashing and crawling.making the wheel base longer will also make it handle better. for speed ditch the titans and pick up some 19 turn 540 size motors.ive read the new holmes cobalts are the best of both worlds.huge torque and decent speed.

MonsterDDT 07-22-2008 10:22 AM

So, you are saying "6T pinion PLUS GRU". Sure that will make it even lower gear. I thought the original argument was "6T pinion OR GRU. "

Anyway, with 6T and 55 Turn motor, the torque is more than the traction of the tires can handle. The max speed on flat ground is like 1-2 mile per hour (slower than walking). That's why I think a 6T pinion is a more straight forward and cheaper solution than a GRU.

Regards,

DDT

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguy (Post 1270277)
ok to make it easy.if you final ratio is 40:1 with a six tooth pinion. put that same pinion on a 2:1 gru you would end up with a 80:1 ratio. it will be slow(hence the name crawler) but have stump pulling torque. remove the cants. the handling will get much better.for bashing and crawling.making the wheel base longer will also make it handle better. for speed ditch the titans and pick up some 19 turn 540 size motors.ive read the new holmes cobalts are the best of both worlds.huge torque and decent speed.

CharliesTheMan 07-23-2008 08:18 AM

If you want to have the torque and low speed throttle control that you need for crawling, you're either going to have to give up some wheelspeed or go to to a bigger motor. With a bigger motor you could volt up and gear down and have better low speed throttle control and better wheelspeed, which it sounds to me that you're trying to accomplish.

the Mad Modder 08-11-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsterDDT (Post 1194501)

DDT

What setup are you running? Mine is totally stock('cept esc)and it'll pull itself straight up a wall(if I were to hold it against it). My stocker will climb over 9" tall box. I think the 2 battery packs you are running are causing your high COG problem.