Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: GRINDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
20K Club

Default GRINDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is my TXT supposed to make this much noise? I was trying to narrow down where the noise was coming from but everything just seems load. Any suggestions for me to try. Thanks guys.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: GRINDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When does it make this grinding sound? Forward, reverse, free rolling or ..??

Have you taken anything appart yet to inspet gears(tranny + diffs), motors, etc??

Sounds like you have some teardown work in order before anyone can really answer your question about your grinding noise.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I remember how surprised I was at how loud my TXT was the first time I drove it around. I think it's the gears.
If it seems EXCESSIVE, you may have a ring gear or tranny gear that's torn up.
You bought it used....right?
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:04 AM   #4
20K Club

Yes I did buy this truck used so there is a possibility that it has been beat. But I have also never heard another txt in person to compare it to. It seems loud in every direction. The diffs are not locked yet so I do have a bit of tear down to do anyhow. I was just wondering if these things were always load. These stock drive shafts seem to produce quite a bit of slop and noise so maybe that would help too. I am just talking out of my ass now so anywho, thanks for helpin out a rook guys.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

All the TXT's I've ran around with are near silent.

Any time my rig gets loud is when the gears are stripping or skipping teeth.....or when the pinion to spur mesh is badly setup.

I'd tear the thing down to the last bit. Re-lube gears, bearings and insure smooth operation off all parts.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

I just put mine together. Pushing it on the ground, it is super noisey.
I've taken it apart before it's even been run once to lock the diffs, put it all back together, and it's still very loud.

I'll try it without the motor in and get back to you.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #7

I got mine recently (brand new), and it's loud as well. I've taken the gear box apart several times, and everything still looks great. No stripping or any signs of grinding.

I did run into one problem when originally assembling the gear box though. If I tighten 2 specific screws all the way, the gear box locks up and I can't turn it with my fingers anymore (when motors are not attached). If I leave these 2 screws loosened about 2 turns, it spins freely when I spin the shaft with my fingers. I took it apart several times looking for the cause of the hangup, but I could find none. Has anybody had a similar problem?

I know for certain my differentials are not where the noise is comming from. I can spin them with no noise at all.
todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
20K Club

well I got into her for the first time last night, my truck, and found that the three prog deal that holds the gears in the diff was broke. so I glued it, I figured since I was locking my diffs it would be fine. Then I got all kinds of hack crazy and started cutting the rear skid off, relocated the linkage to hold the rear end strait and some other minor things. I havn't got a chance to run it again but i did find a cast defect in the rear diff that was making the rear end snag barely. I hope I can narrow it down soon I am getting anxious.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd
If I tighten 2 specific screws all the way, the gear box locks up and I can't turn it with my fingers anymore
Which two?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I'm guessing the screws go into the gear shaft that spins in the housing. they also hold on the little heat sinks on the outside of the tranny. Right?
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

Well, I was impatient, so I took the motor and mounting plate off.
Firstly, it is practically silent, some noise, but, not nearly the same noise as there is when the one MM motor and 9 tooth pinion is installed.
I also tried loosening the two larger heatsink screws, spun the tires, and tightened the two screws, spun the tires, and nothing changed.

But I can't get past how much freeplay there is. Oh well, it's not going anywhere fast.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #12
20K Club

Well that wasn't it!!!!!!! I put it back together and still a ton of noise. So I took the tranny apart and found 3 or 4 teeth sheared off the 27t long gear. So I ordered the gear bag today from my LHS for $9.72 but it won't be here untill next week sometime. DAMN so I moved my cantilever mounts to the outside of the frame, Axel mounted my servo, and just hacked off a couple of other things.

I want to cut the chasis but need to know if I have to make new links first. If I do I might have to hold off becuz I just moved to an apartment and I have to get new tools. I had to leave the others with the parents. so I need to pick up a cheap tap set and a new drill.

I really like toyo's truck (I think it's toyo, the orange truck body) and digglers JR. so I might combine the two into one truck. I am going to use savage shocks, so any ideas or suggestions I would gladly like to try. Well thanks.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:57 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

This thing? It's a pile

Old 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #14
20K Club

Sorry Toyo I meant Kona Joe's truck. I Have all kinds of respect for your rig but alittle out of my cababilities right now. I am more than 20 mins away from my welder now that I moved so I don't quite have the facilitiys and more. But hey how ironic that you actually had an orange truck even when I screwed up.

Any word on having to make new links before I cut the chasis?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #15
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
Sorry Toyo I meant Kona Joe's truck.
We all like Kona Joe's truck better!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #16
20K Club

Badger, are you running limiting straps?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #17
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
Badger, are you running limiting straps?
No, I don't think my current setup will benifit. I would loose to much center ground clearance under the tranny. I have not done anything to my shocks or the way they are mounted yet. When I do I will most likely be using straps.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #18
20K Club

I really need an anwser to this question. DO I HAVE TO MAKE NEW LINKS BEFORE I CUT MY CHASSIS?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:23 AM   #19
20K Club

Well got my new gear in my tranny, put one some maxx sliders (almost went with the revo stuff but they didn't have the metal parts bag in stock) relocated the links, relocated the link mounting points, raised the tranny, made a lower tranny mount (well kinda, its more of a center/side mount) and the chassis is ready to cut.

I think I am gonna get a 1/4 scale servo and start working on my new links. I ordered my savage shocks for my LHS yesterday, $28.80 complete.

what is the rough link demensions for a 16" wheel base. I know you can't tell me exactly but just whatever has worked best for you.

Has anyone tried running the front/rear longer than the other? I can't see what it would hurt. I don't know, I tired it 2:23 I am gonna shut up and go to bed.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

check you 9t pinions mine did the same thing turns out the set screw hits the very edge of the spur. on the motor plate there is a small tube spacer i just put a washer between it and the spur to move it out a little and it worked no more grinding.
mrmaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote