Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: suspension travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default suspension travel

would getting droop along with compression be as simple as putting longer shocks on with softer springs so that it is half way compressed from the vehicle weight?
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Default Re: suspension travel

If you do that, the suspension will tend to unload while driving and allow the chassis to flop around more. A better way to get droop is to run a limiting strap at the center of the axle to the chassis. The strap will preload the suspension and allow for droop under articulation. Look at the 1:1 buggies running coilover shocks, almost all of them run limiting straps at the center of the axle.
I have seen them used by many r/c crawlers on the boards and have just recently put them on mine. It seems to work well on Adman's Mach1 over in the Australian comps.
Just my thought.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yea, i had the stupid idea of using tmaxx springs on savage shocks with out a limiting strap. the txt wave. lol. but running a limiting strap in the center of the axle is perfect.

jorDANK
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

you can alway use the old trick of puting fuel tubing inside the shock that way the shock shaft cant fully extend.
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You'll probably have to go with fairly firm springs too. I tried this type of setup and it was quite floppy so it didn't last long. The main problem I found was with the wheelbase decreasing as the wheel drooped following the arc of the lower link making it pretty tippy at times. I think triangulating your lower links helps keep the axle straighter though. I didn't play around with it much but I'm sure with a bit of trial and error engineering you can get it to work pretty good.
TXTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info guy - I already gots the triangulation done and think I know of somewhere to start with the limiting straps. But how long should they be? where ever I want my ride hieght?
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Yup, long enough to set ride height where you want it. Be sure your springs are long enough to be under some preload also. It will probly take some work to find the right amount of spring rate and preload but I bet you can get it dialed in.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote