RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/)
-   -   TXT-1 Purchase Opportunity - opinions pls? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/129895-txt-1-purchase-opportunity-opinions-pls.html)

tgeer43 08-03-2008 04:12 AM

TXT-1 Purchase Opportunity - opinions pls?

Hello folks and thanks for having me on your board.

I have an opportunity to purchase a custom TXT-1 based crawler for what I believe is a very reasonable price (under $350). The builder claims to have over $1K invested and while I'm not 100% certain of that, it does seem to be a very capable machine for the money. Here are the specs or at least what I know of them at present:

* TXT-1 carbon fiber chassis, with custom 1/4-inch-diameter welded tube roll-cage
* Extended (17.5-inch) wheelbase with custom aluminum 4-link suspension
* T-Maxx oil-filled shocks
* GD-600 gear reduction unit
* Custom, heavy-duty aluminum skid plate
* Fully Locked TXT-1 axles with modified Traxxas Revo driveshafts
* Ace custom aluminum TXT to Maxx wheel adapters/extensions
* Integy 55-turn lathe motor
* Novak SuperRooster reversible ESC speed control
* Hobbico 1/4-scale CS-80 servo
* Proline Moab tires with Proline Velocity wheels
* Futaba Skysport IV 4-channel radio
* (2) ea. 2400-MAH custom-made battery packs
* Hobbico AC/DC auto battery charger
* (1) ea. HPI 1200-MAH, NiMH receiver pack with charger
* Deans connectors on all batteries, ESC and motor
* Spare parts including (2) extra servos, springs, aluminum cross-members, GD-600 parts, transmission gears, T-Maxx springs, spare axle parts, and a TXT-1 factory manual

Seems like a really good deal but I have precious little experience in custom builds and would like some opinions from you 'veterans'. I'd also like to know what would be involved in converting to 4-wheel steering and the approximate expected cost.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

jmz6 08-03-2008 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From the specs it sounds like it may not be a bad deal, the condition would really let you know its worth.

Rear steering is easy enough to do; you will need a servo mount and linkage, although you will have to make a mount or have someone make it. Do a search for steering mount in th TXT/Jugg section, for some ideas

There are better mounts, but this is an example of the rear mount setup on my TXT
Attachment 72195

PEDEcrawlerguy 08-03-2008 10:23 AM

is the rig local enough that you can see it or maybe take it for a run?... or posted for sale on web?

if it is for sale on the internet... use google and search the sellers username... and maybe even look at other rc related forums in case he has bad dealings....

but for the price you stated... it doesnt seem bad for a RTR rig...

tgeer43 08-08-2008 12:04 AM

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, guys. I went ahead and took the plunge. It just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. It should be here by next Tuesday. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Oh yeah, as for the 4WS, the builder had it set up that way and converted it back to 2WS because he found it hard to control. Go figure. :?: Anyway, everything that's needed is being included with the truck although he recommends a larger servo like is on the front end.

Later!

Tom