Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Titanium TXT 1 chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Titanium TXT 1 chassis

My best friend is a sheet metal worker that has access to Titanium sheets. I'm hoping once I get my TXT 1 I can pull a favor and have him make me a chassis out of 4mm Titanium set up like it looks after Slow it Downs and Eepee's mods (sorry if the names aren't spelled perfect the respect is definitely there) are completed. Any thoughts on whether this would be worth while or just stick with the stock chassis with their mods?
nothinbutpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

the 4mm aluminum it comes with is more than adaquate.

especially in stock form, or modified stock.

If you can sweet talk him into making you a set of chassis plates,

Titanium is strong as steel, and almost as light as aluminum, so why make it 4mm
I would drop the thickness down to maybe 2.5mm (0.090") or even 14 gage (0.070"). it will be as strong and cost less.
then I would look at some of the aftermarket chassis, or some of the gallery photos and builds here.
see if there is something that you like better, or that you think would work best for your situation
sketch it out on cardboard cut it out and make sure everything looks like you think it should.

if you like it and he's willing go that route. having your own custom chassis not limited to the stock design would be cool.

Then post up pics!!
check for battery clearance, link clearance, shock clearance, and steering clearance
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I realise that the base aluminum chassis is adequate. I was just thinking that the titanium would be stronger and lighter. But you are saying that aluminum is lighter than titanium?? I'm not saying that you are wrong but it just doesn't sound right to me. I will ask him once I get a chance to see if he's even willing to try to make the chassis for me. It may not even be worth the cost because I know it's not cheap even for just the sheets. So we will see! It was just a thought I was having and didn't think anyone else would have a titanium chassis so I thought I would try something different.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

aluminum and titanium are aboutt he same weight

but you can make a 2.5mm thick titanium chassis, as strong as the 4mm aluminum chassis, but lighter because it is 40% thinner

different is usually good. if not, it is at least different.
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Well so far I haven't been able to get ahold of my buddy to find out if it's even cost effective being that i'm on short term disability! I will ask him what he thinks it would cost and if he could even do it for me. I'm just thinking a lighter/stronger chassis just makes it easier to go faster/have more power with a smaller motor and less battery power. Guess it's just the Dr Frankenstein in me lol!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbutpower View Post
I realise that the base aluminum chassis is adequate. I was just thinking that the titanium would be stronger and lighter. But you are saying that aluminum is lighter than titanium?? I'm not saying that you are wrong but it just doesn't sound right to me. I will ask him once I get a chance to see if he's even willing to try to make the chassis for me. It may not even be worth the cost because I know it's not cheap even for just the sheets. So we will see! It was just a thought I was having and didn't think anyone else would have a titanium chassis so I thought I would try something different.
S.G. of
Ti 4,5 g/cm3
Al 2,7 g/cm3
Fe 7,9 g/cm3
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

If the full chassis isn't feasible you should seriously look at havng your friend make a skidplate out of Ti. They are the best material for skidplates.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

It's pretty much the best material out there for pretty much anything where overall strength and lighter weight for steel type materials is concerned!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I finally got a hold of him and he's about to start a project that is using roughly 2.25mm titanium. As soon as he finds out how much scrap he has from the project he'll be able to see if he can make my chassis. He has been doing this for a LONG time and said that the strength would be 4 times stronger and it would way less than the stock 4mm aluminum. So i'm crossing my fingers that he has a lot of scrap! This is going to be sweet!!!