Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Trail truck possibilities???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Trail truck possibilities???

I'm about to make a deal for a TXT-1. I'm coming from a 3.3 Tmaxx. I would llike to try to make a truck that can do a little crawling but I also want to be able to go a little faster down the trail. I'm not looking for tmaxx speed but I don't want to always be able to out walk the truck either. Is this a good truck to do something like that with?
nothinbutpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

This truck is very capable of doing those things. If you lock out the rear steering and run the sway bars it will handle much better at higher speeds however those two things will make it a little less capable as a crawler. If you want to go faster than a walking pace definatly run a servo saver so you dont strip out your servo. Lots of guys run the EVX setup from an Emaxx in the TXT-1 as it is a dual motor truck too. The transmission is pretty stout and can handle a decent amount of power as well. If its not a crawler only then I wouldnt recommend locking the diffs yet, wait to see what you will use it for the most. Many guys who use the TXT as a basher too only end up locking the rear diff. If you still have your Maxx you could just use that to get your "speed fix" and make the TXT your crawler. I have my brushless Emaxx to go fast and my TXT is turning out to be a very capable crawler. Check out the TXT frame cutting thread that I posted, lots of pics of my truck in there so you can see what it can be made into. Have fun!
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm trading my tmaxx for this TXT. I'm sick of always fixing it after every ten minutes of run time. I've always liked bigger, mudder type, powerful that can go through almost anything. So I guess I would make this into a custom creation of some mix of a crawler and a trail truck. I don't know how much of both worlds I can keep without having to keep multiple setups handy. I guess I would make it more of the mudder, go over/through things type trail truck but keep the articulation of the crawler. I hope you get the general idea. Maybe i'll get another speed monster truck in the future but this is what i'm thinking about for now. I saw a pic of a 1/5 scale chevy avalanche on a website and I thought that was the perfect truck for me but I don't have that kind of money to spend nor that kind of fabrication ability. But i would like to maybe get something like it and build it up and I think the TXT might be a good start for me.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

the txt is a good start. the axles are tough.

I have a txt rig that I put an emaxx transmission in. I can shift between the gears for a jogging speed and a fast walking speed.

it is running a 720kv brushless motor on a 3 cell lipo with 12/72 pinion and spur.

let me know if you need some of that defined.

here's my build thread on this rig

joining the mid-sized party
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I understand most of it. I think I want a little more than 5 mph out of it but that looked like a great custom rig. What is the stock trans in the TXT-1? He's sending me a stock 540 motor and a gr but no esc. So I figured lets get the motor/esc upgrade over and done with now. I found a deal from a guy on Rcuniverse who is running an ad for the Traxxas EVX-2 waterproof esc and 2 titan monster motors for $80. Is that going to work in the TXT-1 with the stock tranny and gr removed for now? Or am I going to have to use an E Revo trans to be able to handle that power. Also what size lipo would I have to use to make it worth while??
Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

the stock txt tranny should more then handle the 2 maxx titans..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

ok! so the next question is what size of lipo and how many should I run with that set up?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

that will hamdle up to a 4s lipo. the evx2 is designed to handle 14 NimH cells.
There is no voltage cutoff on the esc, so as soon as it would no longer hit top speed it would be time to stop.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Another choice I just found on ebay for another possible esc/motor setup:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320302615754

Is this setup any better than the one mentioned above? If so would the LIPO battery pack be the same? I just need to make a decision because both of these seem to be good deals at least to me.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
j0e
Rock Crawler

if your looking for a mudder/trail truck, you might wanna stay away rom lipos and brushless power.
i couple good brushed motors, standard battery packs and some waterproof electronics and youd be all set!
(im pretty sure that lipos and brushless dont mix well with water)
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks jOe for the input. Electronics in general don't work well with water for one thing but i'm not too worried about that because i'm not one to really go play in the rain unless it's mud football and that's another story! I've been searching and looking at everyone's rigs between this forum and the electronics forum trying to get ideas and answers to my questions. I think i've found my setup thanks to a video of Badger's crawler with the Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller 7t motor. My thinking though is since the TXT 1 is an original 2 motor truck maybe put 2 of those motors in and get thr e RC4WD R2 trans after the stock trans goes out. All I need is a good esc (thinking the Traxxas EXV2) and a 3s lipo battery. Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #12
RCC Addict

the holmes motor will put out enough power al by itsself.
two would be overkill.

when you see it is a two motor, remember that it was originally two of those mabuchi silver cans.

one strong puller motor, stout outrunner brushless, or 55t with a gd600 reduction all offer gear shearing power.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Sorry! It's the TIm Allen in me making me have these "power" thoughts!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbutpower View Post
Sorry! It's the TIm Allen in me making me have these "power" thoughts!
I know what you mean....
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

there is a reason I have a 2200 watt outrunner driving one of my rigs
Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I dont' run any super class rigs of this size, but I can tell you that the Holmes cobalt motor is the only motor that I run in my rigs unless the wont fit in the chassis. I think it would be great for your application, and power on hand will not be an issue.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

So, let me get this straight. 1 Holmes Cobalt 7T puller motor (because 2 of those is too much Tim Allen power) a 3s Lipo with say 2100mah and the stock TXT 1 tranny would be a good set up for now?? I still say go with 2 motors and pull the house around with it!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbutpower View Post
So, let me get this straight. 1 Holmes Cobalt 7T puller motor (because 2 of those is too much Tim Allen power) a 3s Lipo with say 2100mah and the stock TXT 1 tranny would be a good set up for now?? I still say go with 2 motors and pull the house around with it!!!
It will get you started, but start looking for either an Emaxx trans or an R2HD to replace the stock trans. Or keep enough spare gears for that trans around to rebuild it 2 to 3 times.

For what it sounds like you want to do I would go with the EMaxx so you can have a slipper clutch.

With 1 10T puller and a 2100 3S lipo I go through at least 1 trans gear each time out with it. That is why I am going R2HD in it.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Well the truck is finally here!!! :-P It came with Eepee and slow it down's chassis mod down and then a little extra taken off. I've been messing with it most of the night to try and get some of the suspension set up. It came with a 550 lathe motor and gr. The trans has a hole in the bottom of the case. It needs drag links on both ends (slightly bent and kind of small and weak looking). I need at least 1 more cross member. The rear axle short shaft is broken off at the the end that goes into the wheel but i'm thinking that I would like to upgrade the axles anyway. Suggestions on the axle upgrades?? It also needs the body mounts which I can't find anywhere. Soooo... it looks like it's project time for me. I'm still planning on eventually going to the HH Cobalt puller 7t motor and probably should do the R2HD trans when I get the money and the truck is in better condition.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Get either RC4WD Stainless Steel shafts or run CVDs. I have CVDs up front and SS shafts out back, so I can have the track width very narrow outback as compaired to the front.

For body mounts, just go to your LHS and pick up some Dubro universal body mounts. I may have some stockers if you're interested.

I would also look into getting a 10T puller over the 7T puller, as the 10T will be a lot happier pushing around a big heavy TXT than the 7T will. Like I said, you can run the puller in the TXT trans, but you will eventually chew up gears in the trans.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote