Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: First RC - Txt1 : help with the setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #1

Default First RC - Txt1 : help with the setup

Hello!

I'm building my first RC vehicle and needed your help with the part selection. I've been through a lot of stuff on this on the forums and this is what I've gathered. I would appreciate your suggestions (I prefer keeping things simple and straightforward the first time around, so I hope to do with most of the stock setup!)

First off, the purpose - I want to build this RC truck using the TXT-1 to be later used as a mobile robotics platform (that means, I'll be adding a small laptop and a few light-weight sensors)

Here are my current design choices -

1. Tamiya TXT-1
2. Novak Super Duty XR ESC
3. HiTec 645MG x 2 for the steering
4. Futaba 2DR 2-channel AM/2 S3003 Servos
5. EMS servo reverser Futaba J
6. Tower Hobbies 7-cell 8.4volts NiCd
7. DuraTrax Piranha charger

Does this look right? I'm especially concerned about the ESC, the steering servos and the batteries (no speed concerns).

Also, am I missing anything? I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
ppppking04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

if you are running the stock tires i would run a bigger servo like a 5645 front and rear.or a 5645 in the rear and a 5955 in the front. For the speed controller i would run a mamba max with a bec on it.that is my .02 cents
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Don't use a Ni-Cd battery, they are pretty much a dead technology. Go with at least a Ni-Mh battery or better yet a LiPo battery. A LiPo might be better off if you plan on adding things to it like sensors, more servos or anything else that might need power.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If you want to save a little money, you might want to look at non brand name servos, ie Cirrus or Towerhobbies servos, obviously something with metal gears and lots of power.

Do not get NiCad batteries, if weight is a concern as well as voltage, look at Lipo, if durability and price is a concern look at Nimh. You can run two packs in a Y harness to double your run times and increase the amount of amps your ESC can pull from the battery, but will make your truck heavier. I assume you are not going to run any crawling comps?

Also if its in your budget, look at a Spektrum 2.4ghz radio, much better signal quality and range.

You might also want to gear it slower, those stock motors aren't too powerful
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the replies so far.

LiPo and NiMh do make a lot of sense, I was just worried about the current delivery that the two dc + two servos would need. The NiCd's would give about 10Amps of continuous current (but obviously only for very few minutes).

What brand/specs of LiPo's or NiMh's should I go for? I don't want to put the battery packs in parallel though. Considering that I'll need high C battery packs. Any suggestions?

Does the ESC Super Duty XR look fine for this platform?

Appreciate the help!
ppppking04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

As far as the lipos I'll leave that to the experts but remember now that your going lipo you'll also need a lipo charger and balancer.

The SuperDuty XR is overkill if your just going to run stock motors but may be worth it in the end because it has a decent BEC rating. But if you go for really high torque servos that'll draw a lot of power it might be better to get an external BEC.

If you want a recommendation for a complete electronics setup try asking JohnRobHolmes of Holmes Hobbies in the Vendors section. Let him know what type of vehicle your building and what you want it to do and he can make some suggestions.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote