Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: greetings, new crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 06:16 PM   #1

Default greetings, new crawler

hey im a newb to crawling, it looks just too cool to not get into
i have a fairly new txt, mostly stock but with
full bearings
front, mid, rear alum skid plates
multiplex 600 motors, stock gearing
super rooster, 6 cell gp3300

i want to make this into a decent fun crawler w/o any major modding such as chassis cutting

im in the process of moving the links and would like to do something with the servo but i dont have fabricating facilities or stuff like that

what else can i do to give me better clearance and crawling ability w/o chopping the chassis? or any serious dremaling (though some is fine)
PoinTHwerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: greetings, new crawler

Nice to meet ya, I would go thru Dirks 10 best TXT mods and pic and choose the ones you can make. most of them can be made for next to no money.

Here's a link. http://www.rccrawler.com/article2.ht...=0&thold=0

I have made most of the changes except cutting the chassis. I would definietly try and make some new servo mounts. Here's a link to different ideas.

http://www.rccrawler.com/postt1083.html

I never made my TXT stock. I started by locking the diffs, moving the lower links(axle mounted side) up, then change to traditional steering, and the latest mod fitting BFT tires to TXT wheels.

Like this:

Crawls pretty good Huh? Even if you just lock the diffes and move the lower links you'll be amazed at the difference in you trucks ability.

Hope that helps
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoinTHwerP
what else can i do to give me better clearance and crawling ability w/o chopping the chassis? or any serious dremaling (though some is fine)
I was the same way when I got my TXT, didn't want to chop on the pretty chassis. I got over that fear!

The first things I would do is lock the differentials and install 9 tooth pinions. Reverse the wiring on the motors and run the truck with the battery in the front if you're not already. Those easy mods will get you crawling. Once you get the truck in the rocks you'll see what else needs to be 'adjusted'.

Check out Dirk's article on making the TXT into a capable crawler. Lots of good info there.

Edit: Ha! Rckjeep beat me to it.... yeah, what he said!

Here's mine after a few easy mods....

CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #4

very cool, thanks for the tips
ive done some small crawling on rocks i have here for a while but its to the point i want to do more extreme crawling and get a bit more clearance
i forgot to mention, i did lock the diffs with jbweld first thing, and i have 4ws with hitec 645mgs

i have a question about the moving of the links, i did the front fine and it looks different but seems better, when i did the back identicle to the front it turned out a bit off.... it doesnt sit level and it will rock a few degrees one way and stay, and not spring back to level like the front does, feels like binding? i got that at first with the front but i removed the small 1 small washer on each link and it fits fine but doing that on the back didnt make any difference, any ideas?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #5

hey rckjeep
can i get closeup pics of the links and how you lowered them? i wanna make sure i did them right

i might lose the front and rear alum skids too
Old 08-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I think the biggest increase in ability would be found in increasing the wheelbase. This can be done very easily and cheap by using threaded rod as links (it doesn't seem strong enough but it is, I used 3/16") and you can extend your original shafts by cutting them in the middle and putting a sleeve over the top to rejoin them at the correct length or you could use the max shafts for not much money either.

And what the other guys said too.
TXTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:16 PM   #7

i fixed the uneven backend after i moved the links, i ended up pulling out the other 2 plastic spacers and went ahead and pulled the front 2 out also

it seems totally even now

i cant spend any money right now, just got a new computer

so the 10 tips is wonderful ill get 9 T pinions though, thats cheap

will 10 T pinions be just as good? in case i cant find 9

thanks for all the info!, ill test it out tomorrow or wed
Old 08-23-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

www.towerhobbies.com has 9 tooth pinions.

Welcome to the addictive world of crawling, too.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #9
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Keep in mind when you lengthen your wheel base that you are going to hang up on the center quite a bit more if you do not cut the chassis.

Just cut the chassis. You will not be sorry you did.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #10

ok im going to move the batt to the front and put 10T pinions on my txt

what gear ratio will that be? everything else is stock as far as diffs and other gears and stock wheels/tires

one day im going to get a gecko 2 and a clod for some real fun gotta pay off the new compy first though
Old 08-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #11
AFJ
Pebble Pounder

9 tooth pinions are easy to find on tower, and what do you think about such idea lenghten a wheelbase by lets say an inch or 1.5 and put longer pushrods for suspension? it would gigher the CG but it would hang up so much, and still be a bit more stabile cause of longer wheelbase
AFJ is offline   Reply With Quote