Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Chop, cut, rebuild round 5 The New Cheapjeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Good job i cant wait till i get my TXT
CoreyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Where did you get your tape weights at? I would be interested in some for my TXT.

Any more of you guys doing savage shocks and I will have to send the truck under the knife yet again.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

I tried to buy tape weights at at Discount tire but the wouldn't sell any to me. So I got them from Ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=63699

Check this guys other auctions.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Thanks for the heads up! I may try a couple of friends who work in the business first. If I can get the locally and you need some more let me know!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Tape weight are EASY to get! Just bring a 6 pack with ya!!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Well, finally got the TXT out in a comp situation. The only other change I've made is that I am running it on 8 cells now. Even though the comp couldn't be completed due to issues with the local ranger, I am happy to say that all of my changes have been very worth while. The TXT totally conquered all areas I had problems with in the past, and now I am able to run pretty much even par with the Clods.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #47
2006 2.2 National Champ

I think jason and the rest of the Clodoradans called the ranger themselves, after they saw the TXTs playing before the comp got started.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
I think jason and the rest of the Clodoradans called the ranger themselves, after they saw the TXTs playing before the comp got started.
;)
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

So I think, since I only use the TXT for comps now since the TLTs are so much more portal, I am going to pull the lathe and put the stock motor back for wheel speed. That'll add just a bit more for comp worthiness.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I have to say....during the short amount of time I watched your TXT, it worked incredibly well. I'm scared.....a little.......
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
I have to say....during the short amount of time I watched your TXT, it worked incredibly well. I'm scared.....a little.......
All I can say is location, location, location.... moving the weight front and low, stretching the wheel, weighted front tires, etc. All have made a huge difference. The chassis is also raked a bit towards the front from the weight which I think really helps. I think with the newer moabs (taller) it'll be pretty competitive.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Default Better servo mount

Well, I love the giant scale servos and there is no way I am going back to the standard size, but this weekend while climbing the wall of death at our Flat Irons site, I found a weakness to them being so big. As the TXT violently tumbled down the wall it nailed the servo and bent the top of it back stressing the mounting tabs and breaking them. The servo itself worked just fine after the fall. And at only $40 they are tuff for the money. The cool thing is now I have a complete spare, I did take the servo apart and even though these are resin gears, they are HUGE , no way you're breaking these things! Plus if you do, a spare gear set is only $5.

Anyway, So I got to thinking about how to prevent this type of breakage in the future and I decided that the top of the servo needed bracing or support in case of impact so that it wouldn't bend as it did breaking the plastic tabs.

I used aluminum angle, threded rod and lock nuts to make a more secure mounting point distributing the pressure over the entire servo case. The black tube that you see is actually spare txt top links that I cut to length and drilled out so I could easily pass the 6/32 rod through. I simply painted it black.

Anyway, the first picture shows the busted servo and the other two pics show the new mounting..

Last edited by cheapjeep2; 11-16-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Looks like a much better mount. You gotta remember at the FlatIrons there is no such thing as an easy rollover!

about how much rake do you have in your TXT Cheap? I have about 1" difference in front and rear ride heights, and it works out really well, along with the 40/60 links.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler
Looks like a much better mount. You gotta remember at the FlatIrons there is no such thing as an easy rollover!

about how much rake do you have in your TXT Cheap? I have about 1" difference in front and rear ride heights, and it works out really well, along with the 40/60 links.
Never measured the rake, it's not intentional... just the weight distribution, but it does help with up hill climbs.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2
Dude, It's not for sale. This isn't the for sale forum.
I know; I was kidding. I guess I shoulda put a at the end of my post. I gotta say that I really like your rig, and that new servo mount is beef.
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Default 8 cell battery position

I upgraded all rigs to 8 cells from 6, my TLTs I made custom hump packs that used the standard 6 cell stick pack configuratin, I then added two cells to the valley created by the other cells for a hump pack. I loved where my 6 cell stick packs were on the TXT but a hump pack would not work as the stick pack slides through the frame rails. I found 8 cell stick packs that are 3600 MAh. The 3600 cells plus the addtion of two more cells has gave it additional weight in the front. It climbed extremely well in the "almost" comp at Flat Irons. Anyway, I finally got around to taking pictures.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Why didnt you just mount it on the front links?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
Why didnt you just mount it on the front links?
Because I run giant scale servos. Not enough room and where it's at works really well and is secure.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:15 AM   #59
Colt Python/SR9c

Mike, it's called another"use common sense thing" besides with wheel weights, the chassis split, among other things, if he added the battery to the front and they change a course to nothing but dropoffs, he is screwed

The truck looks awesome. very nice job.. :thumbsup:
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Thanks Twisted. Long before Dirk started his "viva la shafty" revival I decided that I wasn't going to give into the clods or give up on the TXT, just yet. And well I am very pleased with how it turned out. I even got kudo from Dirk himself, who'd have thought? I have been so pleased, I even sold a set of Clod axles I bought to build a clod!