Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Relocated shocks on my TXT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default Relocated shocks on my TXT

I got bored today from staying in the house all weekend and decided to cut up my chassis a little more and relocate my shocks. I have always like the looks of the shocks the way the front ones are mounted now.

I cannot afford to buy any good shocks so I raped my T4 and pulled the rear shocks off of it. Put 80 weight oil in them and replaced the springs with stiffer ones.

I think it turned out pretty well, I did not loose ant articulation but it does sit a little lower now. So I might move the tranny up a little more and trim the chassis to compensate. I wanted to leave enough of the chassis in tact to keep my battery where it is and allow me to re-install the canti setup later if I need to. The Assoc. shocks are so much more smooth the the TXT shocks.

Let me know what you think and if you see anything wrong.

Last edited by badger; 05-16-2006 at 05:52 PM.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Relocated shocks on my TXT

Looks like it'll work. and you get the extra clearance bonus.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks good to me, i mounted my shocks straight to the axle kinda like you did, and it made the torque twist much worse, idk could be just cause they are straight up and down....i should go change that...

jorDANK
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:14 AM   #4

I had to rake the shocks a little more, they were to stiff standing upright. I think I really like this new shock layout.

Is there any reason to flip my shocks upside down? I have seen in on a few rigs but do not know if it does anything.

Also mounted my Mammoth gear reduction with a 9 tooth pinion. And moved my ESC to the front of the truck mounted in a ground out spot in the battery holder.

I LOVE the gear reduction! I now have to reconfigure my coarse in the backyard because it is too easy.

Last edited by badger; 05-16-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That looks sharp, Badger. How does the amount of torque twist compare to when you had the cantilevers?
schlabinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #6

Its about the same as with the canti setup. It has very little torque twist compared to the stock TXT.

I am still playing with the spring rate, but right now it seems very stable.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Its about the same as with the canti setup. It has very little torque twist compared to the stock TXT.
Good to hear. Did you lose any travel? I was thinking about ditching the cants in favor of axle mounted shocks, but using rear 1/8th scale buggy shocks. Maybe there is no need for that length, and the 4 inchers will do?
schlabinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:05 PM   #8

It has a little less articulation and I have the ride height lower then I did with the canti's. So I have very little travel when you press straight down on the hood of the truck, but I do not plan to ever jump it so that does not bother me. I think the CG is as low as I can make it while keeping 4.5" of center clearance.

When I drive up a wall the truck can almost go completly vertical and it still want to fall forward instead of backwards. So I think the forward weight distribution is really good.

Since the Seascape comp last weekend, I have lowered the battery even more, moved the electronic forward and lower, changed the shock setup, and lowered the ride height.

The 4" shocks seem to work well. I plan to go with the savage shocks though.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hey Badger the truck looks great! Really nice job on it all!

Just wanted to mention my X-hybrid with custom chassis is now set up very similar to yours. Before the links were mounted at 2 different points on the chassis - parallel if viewed from the side. Someone told me mounting them at one central location helps to eliminate torque steer so that's why I tried that. I still have TS but I also think the shocks have alot to do with it also. I have an 8shock setup and the upper shocks I think are way too soft since I switched to softer springs. Think I'll try the stiffer springs again.

I also like this 4link setup like in your truck b/c it lets you place the battery much lower in the chassis than the parallel one I mentioned....pretty much right on top of the fr driveshaft. Which I think is as low as can possibly be w/o doing some funky axle mounted battery setup.

My battery is about 5 3/4" from the ground to the bottom of the batt with my BFT's. It sits just below the tops of the tires. I also have 5 1/2" tranny clearance tho.

How high off the ground is your battery btw?
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The 4" shocks seem to work well. I plan to go with the savage shocks though
John, let's go halfs on the savage shocks. I want to do that too. I'll probably follow your lead.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:15 AM   #11
RCC Addict

looks real good. I am liking. Mind if i borrow the idea for mine?
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:14 AM   #12

Thanks Cman. my battery site about 6" off the ground with the
LST's.

RCKJEEP, that sounds cool we can decide which ones we want. I would like to get the threaded aluminum ones.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler
looks real good. I am liking. Mind if i borrow the idea for mine?
You are more then welcome to use any thing I post. That is why I take pictures and post.

Here is another lower mount, I think I have a little axel steer this way so I am not sure if this will stay. I think the shock being mounted to the same bolt the lower link is attached to helps eliminate axel steer.

I am going to keep playing with this today.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Nice nice, thanx for the good pics. I will have to get my scanner working. I have a few good pics of my tranny mount. Only using the top 2 screws and no skidplate to sandwich the tranny on. I am using 2 of the crossbars from the bumper mounts to locate the tranny....
Old 09-03-2004, 03:03 PM   #15

Yet another position for the shocks.

I like the lower shocks mounts I made. I gained my articulation back from them because it sits the shock a little higher and more towards the middle of the axel. When I had them attached to the same bolt as the lower link, the right front and the left rear shocks were hitting the bent upper links limiting the articulation.

The shocks were too raked back with the new lower mounts causing the suspension to be too soft, so I relocated the upper shock mounts to the original place I had them. I think this is a good setup for now, we will see after our pratice session tomorrow.

Last edited by badger; 05-16-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

John ,
I finally ditched the canti set up on Digler. Went to what you did here. used Xfactor shocks because they are so long. I raked them back to the canti hole but I am using xfactor axles which gives it a whole different approach than yours. I must say...it is light years ahead of the canti set up if done right. I have as much articulation and it is much, much more stable. It has zero torque twist, which is what I was worried about. HUGE improvement!!!! It looks pretty damn cool too.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #17

I agree Dirk.

I ran it yestrerday at Bigred's location and was amazed how well it did. I am deffinitly not going back to the canti setup.

This morning I cut 1/4" of the chassis and moved the tranny up just a little. I also had to move the chassis link location out just a little (about 1/8") so my wheel base is now ~15.25" with a center clearance of 4.75".

I think I am done for now. Looking forward to next weekends get-together.

And the run times are amazing with the gear reduction. I brought 5 battery packs with me yesterday and only used one!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:28 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Damn, guess I know what I am going to do with my Savage shocks this week.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Don't do it Matt. Unless you make some taller shock mounts and sway bars. The savage shocks don't work well on the TXT mounted to the chasis.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #20
RCC Addict

well then....guess i will have to wait. Oh well, I'll figure something out.