Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: wanting to get a tamiya TXT-1 but need some help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
trw

Default wanting to get a tamiya TXT-1 but need some help.

ok folks...i have been bit by the crawling bug....so far I've sold my TC3 and am about to sell my Tamiya Pajero....with that i want to get a Tamiya TXT-1 and along side some mods with it.

I will definilty be using the "10 best mods" article but one thing i wasnt comfortable with was hacking the stock rims and cutting off the only good reinforcement lips to keep the wheels on the rims, I dont have alot of faith in CA glue since ive had bad luck with my nitro car in the past.

so one of the mods will simply be new rims and tires..and am needing help or some choices i have to choose from.....I'd like them to be narrower then the stock wheels to kinda give it a more crawler look then a monster truck look.

as for an ESC, i was planning on getting a Novak XRS but i heard a rumor they dont work with 540 motors....is this true? although on towerhobbies.com, it does mention it will work with down to 15-turn motors which automaticly is assuming 540 motors.

then i was going to use this battery >>>http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXERB5&P=K<<< since its cheap and has a high capacity, I also heard that using a single motor and a gear reduction promotes runtiems of 30 minutes with an NiCd 2000 pack....i figured hey...mix that in with an NiMh 3000 pack and its even longer.

also when using a single motor, does the power at all drop from dual motors? or is dual motors pretty much dead weight and wasted runtime.

all the help is greatly appreciated !
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: wanting to get a tamiya TXT-1 but need some help.

for a esc I would recomend a rooster....or if you want to run two motors go with a super rooster.....and for wheels your gonna have to narrow them no matter what wheels you choose.
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

I'm fairly new to this stuff too. I have a TXT. You're gonna break things, so don't spend money on it yet.

You mentioned the wheels, just cut them. The CA holds them plenty fine.
The only problem I have encountered is after a few real hard tumbles, I now have three cracked outer lips.
One is a big length missing. But they still work fine. And I've only glued them in four spots, little dabs of glue, and they hold fine.
I narrowed the tires too, and that's likely why I cracked the wheels, not too much lip protection.
Price = free

About the motors, run one, and get a GD600 gear reduction, it's better than two 540s, or a single Mag Mayhem and 9 tooth pinion.
Price = ~$20

Put 80 weight oil in the shocks too. That's ~$4
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
trw

what pitch are the gears of the txt?

also what parts break most often? might buy some spares.

and the Mag Mayhems wont be in till late September....Towerhobbies is bad with their dates...usually when they say September they mean Like december or January.

is their another motor i could substitute for a mayhem?
Old 09-12-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

a substitute (better than the mag) is a 55t lathe motor, low rpm and super dooper torque.lol

i am still running the stock txt tires and rims, and they are narrowed, and i have never had any trouble with them coming unglued or the lip breaking...

jorDANK
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:01 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

The pinion is a 32 pitch. Seriously, consider the GD600 gear reduction.

Though I have yet to snap one, I understand the driveshafts break.
But if you're making longer links, you'll need T-Maxx shafts anyways.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:46 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Your gonna love the TXT! And don't sweat the wheel/tire thing right away, just wheel it. I'm running one stock motor and a 9T pinion, moved the battery up front and made the front servo mount. Pretty stock, really. It's still a blast to run.
Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:22 PM   #8
trw

im so diggin that bronco body...looks killer....ima have to od one up sometime.

for now though im just gonna go with a 9 tooth pinion since ive read the GD600 requires some shaving with a dremel.....i do have a dremel..but dont feel like taking the time right now lol...sometime i might but not right now.

my big question is this: My Pajero ive successfully got it to be 100% waterproof...but seeing as the chassis in the TXT is far thinner im not sure what i did to my Pajero will fit in the TXT.

what did yall do to waterproof yours if you did at all?

also cutter..i cant help but notice that i dont see a rear driveshaft in that pic lol.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

theres a DS in there, the sun washed it out of the pic. All the pics on my site are wheeled. Check out the gallery II page on my site and scroll down...
and nothing is waterproofed on mine 8O , although it should be...
heres a pic about two seconds after the one above
Old 09-12-2004, 09:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Well hope I can help ya some... I have not waterproofed anything on my truck, just don't like mixing expensive electronics and water. I run dual Mag Mayhems with 9t pinions, and a single Racer's Edge 3000 NiMH pack. I love the Racer's Ede packs, great packs for a fair price.

I wouldn't worry about narrowing your wheels, I haven't and it really hasn't hurt me. I did try out Maxx wheel adapters, and I do like running Savage wheels with Jumbo Swamp Dawgs, (thanx Dirk). The Savage wheels have a bit more offset and narrow the truck just a touch, but it puts more wheel over the knuckle pivot so it steers better. Also, unless you lengthen your wheelbase, the stock driveshafts are tough! Never broke one.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ok, here's my nicke;s worth. First off ask Badger about narrowed wheels. Then with a single motor I can run for an hour on a 1700 pack and well over on a 3000. I run a 55t lathe motor. a Rooster ESC, a receiver pack for the steering servo's, Conventional steering with my servo mounts & 645MG servo's, I'm having a blast all that's left is cutting the chassis and lengthening the wheelbase.

The TXT ten commandments are:
1. JB Weld the diffs (silly putty is for kids)
2. conventional steering
3. CUT those rims
4. run a single motor
5. Gear Down
6. reverse the motor so the battery is up front
7. move your lower links on top
8. Cut tread in tires
9. make a tranny skid plate
10. lengthen the WB

not in any order
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #12
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler
I wouldn't worry about narrowing your wheels, I haven't and it really hasn't hurt me.
It won't hurt you, but you don't know how good it is until you have done it!

rckjeep is referring to me driving at his location and using my stock width txt wheels and cut up txt tires. Then I bolted on his NARROWED txt wheels and cut up txt tires AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I was deffinitly crawling better with his wheels and tires.

I said this before, if I did not have my LST's already, I would have hit rckjeep over the head with my TXT and RAN AWAY with his wheels/tires!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
It won't hurt you, but you don't know how good it is until you have done it!
True true, but I have run narrowed BFTs on narrowed rims. After that I ran Jumbo Swamp Dawgs on stock Savage rims, and I personally preferred the standardSavage width rim over the narrow rim. The fully narrowed set up was nice, but with how I drive my truck and its set up, a little width is very nice.

The swampdawgs also had BBs in all 4 whereas the BFTs only had BBs up front. Running some BBs in the tires is a good thing too.

Also, instead of reverse wiring your motor you could buy a reverse mag mayhem, it is desinged to be reversed. Or you can do like it did, and just remove the stock battery tray and radio tray. The elctronics mount on a piece of sheet styrene out back, and the battery mounts up where the bumper woulda been. No need to reverse the motor.

Depending on how you use your truck and the terrain you are in, a gear reduction and/or single motor my not be mods you need. Right now I am very happy with 2 Mayhems and 9ts. Not hurting me much, since I crawl in locations with steep climbs and huge waterfalls that tend to be dusty and loose. I sometimes need a bump that you get without gear reduction and 2 motors.

Also, I am trying out a set up where I am not running a tanny skid. When I oved my tranny up, I smoothed out the bottom of the tranny, and made some mounts that locate the tranny. Haven't crawled on it enough to say one way or another, but every now and again, I have noticed that it allows me to get over stuff that might have hung me up if I had a center skid.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
1. JB Weld the diffs (silly putty is for kids)

You got a PM.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:00 PM   #15
trw

well, if one motor is just as good as two...thats weight and battery power saved.

but WOW, 1 hours of runtime? dang...thats 1 hour for masquitos to bite me lol, thats insane though, with a 55t lathe motor im sure you can barely reach 5 mph am i not correct?

im gettin more excited every day
Old 09-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

5MPH is flyin for scale crawlin'
Old 09-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #17
trw

lol you gotta consider....need some speed to get across the road to the other rocks
Old 09-13-2004, 02:30 PM   #18
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw
lol you gotta consider....need some speed to get across the road to the other rocks
If you get off your crawler and walk your ass across the road you might get there faster!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I just pictured a rig scooting across the road dodging traffic
Old 09-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

R/C Frogger.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote