Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: txt build question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #1

Default txt build question

This question has probably been asked a hundred times before but I did a search and read alot and I didnt find the answer. what is the best way to install an emaxx tranny into a txt? I was thinking about using 16 gage steel for the mount. Thats what I have lying around. this isnt my truck I'm working on so I dont want to just "rig" it together. no duct tape. The truck has no other mods, so nothing to work around. Any pics would be very helpful. thanks
lofty975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty975
This question has probably been asked a hundred times before but I did a search and read alot and I didnt find the answer. what is the best way to install an emaxx tranny into a txt? I was thinking about using 16 gage steel for the mount. Thats what I have lying around. this isnt my truck I'm working on so I dont want to just "rig" it together. no duct tape. The truck has no other mods, so nothing to work around. Any pics would be very helpful. thanks
Easiest and albeit less frustratiing way is to get the RC4wd aluminum tranny adapter for $20. Now, your other option which i actually did for a bit and worked fine for mockup and trial runs, was to get some aluminum L section from home depot for like $9 bucks. You have to upgrade to either LST losi ball ends like i did with traxxas sliders (since the LST ends stretch the wheelbase nicely i might add) and upgrade the hardware to 3x20mm screws and locknuts for attachment hardware.

As for the mounts. If you buy the 1/4 thick peices, just measure, and draw onto the alumnium and use a dremel (place the L section in a vise!) and cut/shape to spec.. take your drill and drill some holes, into the L section you measured and cut, then attacch to the chassis. Be warned though: The L section you cut, has to be clearenced for the upper 4links... It's roughly $25 bucks for home made mounts, screws, ball ends and shafts.

Or the easiest approach: for about $40 bucks, purchase the Rc4wd emaxx mounts, go to the hobby store, get two packs of LST ball ends (LOSB4020 is the part #) get two packs of 3x20mm socket head screws,(or 3 packs just incase) and 1 pack of 3x15mm screws (for the upper axle mounts since you take out the ball studs) and swap.. not to mention one package of traxxas sliders (they are the tmaxx/emaxx axle shafts!) also don't forget a few packs of 3mm locknuts.

the added length and beefiness of the LST ball ends will save you(not to mention give you better articulation) , and also lighter on the wallet to replace. The socket head screws are harder and so forth then the ball ends, also easier to replace if one breaks, or if you wanna upgrade to stainless steel, via www.boltdepot.com
MrPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #3

Well I got impatient for an answer so I went ahead and started. I used 16g steel, cut two peices, welded them together, and ground them down so they are nice and shiny. I moved the ball ends to the outside and it seems to work pretty good. I could have just put a bend in the metal but I figured welding it would make it a bit stronger, and take twice as long. The stock drive shafts are about 1/2" too long so I will probably cut them down or go with revo sliders.
lofty975 is offline   Reply With Quote