Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Stampede tranny in a TXT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stampede tranny in a TXT - update 10/10/2006

Anyone tried it yet? If not, I'll let you know in a couple of months when I finish this project. It fits perfectly when you lay it down in between the TXT chassis plates. Here is a teaser pic.

-Jeff

Last edited by schlabinski; 10-22-2009 at 08:43 PM.
schlabinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

looks good, but why get rid of the bullet proof txt tranny? it's not that heavy, the gear ratio is nice and easy to gear down with a gd 600! but it does look good.
kaaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I know a guy who runs one in a TXT tuber. No problems as of yet.
cowboyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

i run a rock raider cassis with a pede tranny,gd600 and have had no problems . you lower your CG looks good
rock zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default ....

I had the same question. The pede tranny would give you better gear ratio options and would be light and easy to work with.

Those that are running the pede tranny....do you have to swap out any of the gears with metal versions or do anything the strengthen the case? I've seen aluminum cases which may help with flex.

Late

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo
I had the same question. The pede tranny would give you better gear ratio options and would be light and easy to work with.

Those that are running the pede tranny....do you have to swap out any of the gears with metal versions or do anything the strengthen the case? I've seen aluminum cases which may help with flex.

Late

I doubt that strength will be an issue as long as you keep the tires size to a minimum, both with weight and height. If the tires are small and light, you don't have much of a different truck than a 2.2 tlt. There is quite a bit more weight with the txt axles and the running gear but I think the pede tranny is up to that.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Wtf!!!!!

I'm not use to getting a response back from the Dig without a ***** slap type of comment. WTF is going on......?

Your a whole different person in the TXT forum :-)

Hit me with a ***** slap.....go on!

Late

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Kaetwo, just replace the idler gear with a metal one and the Stampede tranny is almost bullet proof.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo
I'm not use to getting a response back from the Dig without a ***** slap type of comment. WTF is going on......?

Your a whole different person in the TXT forum :-)

Hit me with a ***** slap.....go on!

Late

you suck!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Well well, I definately like the looks of that. I gotta get one.

I wonder if using the Maxx 2.5 shafts would keep anything from happening to the tranny, if something where to happen? Compared to a Revo shaft transfering all the breakage force into the tranny.

Looks like you could get the chassis narrower too.

Last edited by EeePee; 11-17-2005 at 03:33 PM.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Well well, I definately like the looks of that. I gotta get one.

I wonder if using the Maxx 2.5 shafts would keep anything from happening to the tranny, if something where to happen? Compared to a Revo shaft transfering all the breakage force into the tranny.

Looks like you could get the chassis narrower too.
I plan on using the Maxx 2.5 shafts because I can still use the 87T spur...it just barely clears the yokes. I am also going to run narrowed Giant Tracs, so I think those shafts will hold up fine to the "smaller" tires.

Your comment about narrowing the chassis is interesting. I have been seriously considering going back to do that because there is no need for it to be so wide...
Old 11-19-2005, 08:13 AM   #12
MODERATOR™

Remember the pictures!

I've always disliked how wide the chassis is. It looks like you can remove some of the motor plate material to gain even more room for going narrower.

I know I'm doing it. Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

huh, that chassis would look great over some tlt axles. how long are the chassis plates?? and where can I get some?

peace
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I decided that I am definitely going to narrow the chassis...it will be totally worth it. I snapped a few pictures of it as it is today before I tear it down. I think I will be able to narrow the chassis by 3/8 to 1/2 inch and that will allow me to mount the shocks to the outside of the chassis. I still have plans to chop unnecessary bits off of the chassis, but that will come later.

When done, it will have 4" of belly clearance, a 15.5" wheel base, and will be powered by a 55T lathe motor. I am toying with the idea of running a 7 or 8 cell battery (anyone have any thoughts on that? 7.2 volts on a 55T can be a little lethargic sometimes)...

Okay, here are those pictures...

-Jeff

Last edited by schlabinski; 10-22-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
huh, that chassis would look great over some tlt axles. how long are the chassis plates?? and where can I get some?

peace
harris
I don't know the length of them off hand. If I had to guess, I would say somewhere around 11 - 12 inches. There has been a few sets of TXT chassis for sale on eBay in the last month or so going for something like $35 - 50 before shipping. I admit that it would look pretty cool over a set of TLT axles, but the chassis is really beefy and heavy and you would probably want to do some serious trimming. By then, there wouldn't be much left.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #16
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlabinski
I decided that I am definitely going to narrow the chassis...it will be totally worth it.
I wouldn't narrow the chassis. I built a TXT recently with a Stampede tranny mounted similar to yours only I cut off the extra housing on the motor side of the tranny and placed the battery back next to the motor on the left side of the chassis. Now all of the weight is down super low and centered for stability.

Where are you planning on putting your battery pack?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

7 cells help wake up the 55 turn, and I imagine 8 is only better. That thing looks great so far. And the Giant Tracs look really good.

Badger's idea is good, or maybe use a 7 or 8 cell AA battery pack, it fits just about everywhere.

The rear driveshaft might be hurtin' with all the length...
Old 11-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Now I wish I am at home so I can see pics. I can see pics if they are attached to the thread but not when its linked outside of the site. Damn websense.
rc4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Until now, I have been thinking about putting the battery on top of the upper links in front, but now Badger has me thinking. There is still quite a bit of room on that tranny mount/skid plate, perhaps I can fit a pack with smaller cells there and still narrow the chassis. Thanks for the idea.

The rear shaft will definitely have to be lengthened. As it is now, I think the male/female parts only overlap by a quarter of an inch or so.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #20
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlabinski
perhaps I can fit a pack with smaller cells there and still narrow the chassis. Thanks for the idea.
Get some of these cells, they are great performers for a slightly smaller size then the sub C's.

badger is offline   Reply With Quote