Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: LiveWire2 build thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default LiveWire2 build thread...

This may take a while, so try not to get too impatient...

I've been really dragging my feet on this one, but I figured that now is as good a time as any to start.

I'll be using my new chassis plates along with a few new ideas, so here's the start....

These pics show the stock tranny compared to the hacked/painted tranny. NOTE: I wouldn't recommend painting this stuff. This tranny probably has 6 or more coats on it, and it still didn't "take" completely. And before it was painted, it was cleaned in a solvent tank, cleaned in ultrasonic tank, beadblasted, ultrasonic again, and then degreased with alcohol...still didn't help
Attached Images

WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

In case you haven't seen them, here's a pic of one of the sideplates. As a comparison; stock TXT side plates weigh in @ 176 grams each, while mine only weigh 22 grams each.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

oh wow, I almost forgot about the livewire truck, so you finally got those new side plates, and why red I thought you were a orange fanatic
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:38 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbuggy
why red I thought you were a orange fanatic
It is orange, it just didn't show up well in the pic.

-WRM
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ohhh gotcha
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Just got back from the LHS. I picked up the bearings I needed for the tranny/axles and some more orange lexan paint... (Better safe than sorry) I had no idea that the ceramic-whatever bearings were so much! Thankfully, I've got the hookup there for a nice discount

This weekend, I can hopefully get the axles assembled and get the link/shock mounts machined. Also need to place another tool order for an aircraft drill and a hardened die. Unless of course I can find one laying around at work, but doubtful.

More to come later...

-WRM
Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

U Were Saying That Barings Were Alot

U Can Say That Again I Went To My Lhs And I Was Gona Pick Up A Set Of Knuckles For My Maxx Rig And For 2 Wit Barings And Nothing Else It Was $26 I Was Like Let Me Come Back Later I Need To Think

I Am Only 13

13 Years Old+$26=$$$$$$$ To Much

I Got Off Ebay For 15 All 4
to-fast-4-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Man, that is one hacked tranny! Looks cool, got any side shots of it showing the cuts you made?

I assume you'll be using a laydown design for the tranny.

Dragging your feet??? Seems like you build a crawler every month!
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here's a pic of the top view of the tranny. Basically, I just cut along the seam, where the second motor would have been located.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

totally off the subject, but that foam that the tranny is layin on, model train track layout??
Amaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yep, that's the inclines for the layout I'm currently working on. Like I've said earlier, I have WAY too many hobbies...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

lol, definitly a fun hobby there. im heavily into model trains also. been messin with HO for years, had my fun, but that scale is too big for my trailer to have a decent layout in. so a while back, i got into N scale. way awesome, got a full layout on a 4x2 ft. door section for a base. nice and small, but still way fun cause now i have a layout to toy with. but i also have to much on my plate to tackle at this moment, so it sits........
Amaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxx
but i also have to much on my plate to tackle at this moment, so it sits........
Same here... The major stuff on my plate is:

4x6 N scale layout to work on
2 crawlers to build (still need to finish one tuber)
finish building my custom '48 CJ2A crawler
finish '85 Yota wheeler
finish other misc. rc projects
etc....

So yeah, I know where you're comin' from...

-WRM
Old 12-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

UPDATE:

Well, I decided that after staring at it for a while, that it wasn't going to build itself, so I did a few things today.

I got the axles assembled (with the inner link/shock mounts), and fabbed the tranny mounts for the delrin skidplate, and attached the side plates. I also made some lower mockup links from all thread.

It's starting to look like a crawler now. I thinking about making this one a 14" WB rig for our developing "driver's/spec. class." I'm still debating it though.

Maybe I can get the rest of the links finished and shocks attached by next weekend, we'll see.......

-WRM
Old 12-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

due to the innovation your putting into this i would say for for clod killer. the cut up tranny so you can lay it low is something i havent seen before you. and you made yourself a custom chassis. i guess its up to you but i would go all the way at this point.
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the vote of confidence fuzz. I think it'll do very well in the class it's intended for. Something new I'm trying for this TXT........

tool steel lower links sleeved with delrin!

I just hope that I can dye white delrin orange..........

-WRM
Old 12-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Just a small update. I mocked it up today (just as a roller), and I don't think it'll fit into the 14"WB "driver's spec" class for PARC. My sideplates don't like the short wheelbase. Since the lower link/shock mounts are actually an inch or so away from the axles (toward the chassis), it makes the links really short, and the upper shock placement is out of whack. So, it looks like I'm gonna keep it at close to a 16" WB (maybe 15.5", we'll see). I'd post pics, but it's not to that point yet. Besides, I want to wait until it's finished.

-WRM
Old 12-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

I've found the same to be true with my 14" mock up using those special plates I found in the dumpster behind your shop.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
I've found the same to be true with my 14" mock up using those special plates I found in the dumpster behind your shop.
Yup. They work perfectly @15.5", but not so good at 14".

-WRM
Old 12-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Was gonna wait, but I couldn't resist... Got a long ways to go yet, but here's a couple teasers. Shown are the lower links I just got done making, they're .125 hardened steel (threaded 6-32 on each end), sleeved with .250 delrin tubing. The tubing was supposed to have a .125 I.D., but it was actually somewhere around .115. So, I had to order a longer than normal .125 drill bit to "bore" the tubing. Even after that, it was still too snug to slide over, so I heated the tubing with a propane torch, and forced the steel rod through. It's a tight fit, but they're not going anywhere now...

I still have much to do as you can see, but I'll get started on the upper link/servo mounts tomorrow, (they'll be of the same design as the original LiveWire). Then, I'll add a few more cross braces to the chassis, an upper tranny mount (for a third mounting point), and finally, mount the electronics.

I have run into a slight snag though. On the original LiveWire, I ran K-Rocks and some aluminum wheels with custom backspacing, which worked quite well. But now, since I'm using stock wheels (with faux 'locks, and yes, I know they still need more screws...) and GT's, they rub on the lower links. So, I guess if I wanna keep this wheel/tire combo, I'm gonna have to get some wideners on there. I figure that .5 per side should work.

Still waiting on the body to arrive.....

Here 'ya go...

BTW, as it sits, WB is at 15.75", and clearance under the skid is a hair over 4.25"

-WRM
Attached Images

Last edited by WRMorrison; 12-28-2005 at 09:32 PM.