Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Super Duper Part 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Super Duper Part 2

About a year ago, I bought this super. It had changed hands a few times and it was pretty well worn, but I got it going and tried to drive it, but I blew up the TXT trans every single time I took it out. I'm absolutely clueless how miniwheeler managed to keep it together. Maybe it was because he didn't have a puller

So I bought the 4:1 conversion and a pair of RRP steel revo spurs, only to find the bolt holes in the gears are significantly larger than a 3mm bolt. I couldn't get the gears centered well enough on the spools to use it, so I stuck it on the shelf and forgot about it for a few months.

Then I bought this:

and it got the wheels turning in my head. CDW outdrives, metal gears, slipper and a VF motor plate aught to hold up, right? Still had the gear allignment issue with the axles though

So I hit up a local crawler, who is now the coolest guy I know, and he cut me some bushings on the lathe.

Here's one of it in the gear, you can see why I couldn't get it centered. The holes in the gear are about 1 RCH smaller than the head of those 3mm buttonheads. I almost wish I could find bigger, thicker washers, but there shouldn't be any side load on the gear so it'll probably be fine.

Rear axle going together with the CVD's and new bearings:

All together with the fawking sweet servo mount

Sadly, I've decided to switch to a different chassis for this build. The setup that miniwheeler did is beyond cool, full of very well made details and first rate craftsmanship and the link setup works better than any other droop rig I've ever driven, but it's also pretty wide and top heavy, and I don't really like droop anyways. I'll save it for posterity. Now I just need to figure out what chassis to use instead
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I put the front axle together with all the same parts as the rear, CVD's, EGRESSor/Robinson 4:1 and new bearings. I'm reworking the front servo mount/link mounts now. I intend to run lowers triangulated and I'm pretty sure the front servo mount won't clear. So I'm making these lower link mounts (dummy link shown for reference as to where the links will mount up):

out of UHMW, cause it's what I had lying around. I don't think I'll break them It's also getting a new bender style BTA servo mount, optimized to clear the links. The upper links will be mounted to a custom mount so I can get them parallel to each other, which will help with servo clearance. And I don't have another TXT gear cover.

I took the trans apart because it felt wrong, seems the case is somewhat crushed and it's now making some of the bearings bind. I'll pick up a new case and bearings tomorrow if my LHS has them.

I also found a Zeus chassis, which looks like it'll be a really good setup. It also lines up with my idea for a skinnier chassis.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Looks pretty ghey.

I've got a K2-5 if you wanna try it...
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
Looks pretty ghey.

I've got a K2-5 if you wanna try it...

Aw, you ruined it! I was going for a decent build thread that no one would comment in. Why do you think I'm building a TXT anyways? This forum is a ghost town
Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Aw, you ruined it! I was going for a decent build thread that no one would comment in. Why do you think I'm building a TXT anyways? This forum is a ghost town
Yeah it is. Would traxxas shoulder bolts have worked for the diff gears? I think the shoulder is 5mm or 6mm...

Dig? You've got the baller radio if you can find one to hold up to that motor
Old 10-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah it is. Would traxxas shoulder bolts have worked for the diff gears? I think the shoulder is 5mm or 6mm...

Dig? You've got the baller radio if you can find one to hold up to that motor
The bolt holes in the spurs are 0.206" which is 5.23mm. I have no fawking clue what that's supposed to fit though. The spurs didn't come with anything useful, just some split lock washers

As far as dig goes, I dunno. I'd like to do dig, but I can't think of anything strong enough. I may try to fab something up like what's on my TXT trans, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills or the equipment. I'd love to do something with 12 point bolt heads and a 12 point socket. I think maybe 12 point would spread the load out over enough more area to make disengagement smoother, but in the mean time it's just gonna have rear steer.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

IT WILL NEVER WORK.

HA 2 POST LOOKS GOOD BOUT TIME YOU GOT A SUPER GOING.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
IT WILL NEVER WORK.
You're absolutely right. It will never work.

But I'll still be able to beat you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
BOUT TIME YOU GOT A SUPER GOING.
Hell yea it is. I ran super duper at a comp at lutz, the one with the leaf blowers I think. It was fun even if I drove like crap.

I intend to have it going at the next comp. I got the rest of the frontend parts designed, hopefully I'll be able to con goodall into letting me use his bandsaw.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
j0e
Rock Crawler

Quote:
All together with the fawking sweet servo mount
id like to see some more of this fawking sweet servo mount!
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
id like to see some more of this fawking sweet servo mount!
It's actually pretty simple. it's a piece of pretty sturdy L channel cut out to tuck right up against the gear case and the standoffs are a chunk of TXT bumper mount, a highlift steering standoff and a piece of aluminum tube. I like how simple, sturdy and well made it is.

I guess it's not all that sweet, but it's certainly made better than I could do. Actually, it's dead on balls right. Everything on super duper was like that, all hand formed with all the holes tapped and clean. The skid plate is a work of art. Really, I feel bad about parting it out like I am, but I felt just as bad about not driving it. And all the chassis, trans and front link mounts may be going to a good home soon, I'm sure it'll be reborn
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Just cuz I want to be a pain in the ass: you should try making some zero ackerman knuckles for at least the front. Made a huge difference in turning radius for me and I know you're gonna need all the steering you can get
Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Just cuz I want to be a pain in the ass: you should try making some zero ackerman knuckles for at least the front. Made a huge difference in turning radius for me and I know you're gonna need all the steering you can get
I've got something up my sleeve for that already. It won't be zero ackerman but it will be less ackerman. The geometry of the stock clod/txt knuckles is fawking stupid.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
j0e
Rock Crawler

any news on this bad boy?
:?
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
any news on this bad boy?
:?
Nah, Chris figured out that shafty supers suck and I think he gave up on it.

No really, WTF are you doing with it? Didn't you build some tires for it?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I've made a bunch of stuff for it and it's really close to being done, I'm just kinda burned out on R/C lately. I think I'm gonna finish it in time for the comp on sunday though. Here's what I've done anyways.

I needed to rework the front servo mount because I wanted to get my lower links triangulated at the frame. I also needed to make an upper link mount because I didn't have another TXT gear cover. So I made this stuff. I haven't done it yet, but I'll mount TLT link mounts to the truss across the top. I also reduced some XL's over buggy wheels. It's not ideal, but I had all the stuff for it and it was easy and it got the 6.5" height I wanted. I'll make some 6.5" zombies for it down the road, I just haven't done that yet. I hate gluing tires.

I'm also using Mad Force knuckles on the front to get bigger bearings and more reasonable ackerman. I still need to make some kind of knuckle weights to fill the space between the adaptor and the bearing, but I think it'll work well. Get pretty good steering out of it too, especially for a TXT

I got the rear all linked up to the chassis, and I think it stands a fair chance of being a performer. I'm using 4" big bores and some Losi shock arms so I can mount the shocks to the axles, the wheelbase is too short (16" on the nose) for room to link mount the shocks. I have a DS8711 on the rear and a 7950 for the front, it should work well with the short tires and very light weight I'm shooting for. I'm going for small, light and maneuverable.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 12-02-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

great job cant wait to see it finish.Are you shooting for a 16inch wheelbase.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Looking good man , cant wait to see it Sunday...

Short helps make it maneuverable but you better make with the lead and get her front heavy for climbing. Be interesting to see how it works compared to mine, as with the new chassis I'm at a RCH under 18".

Oh and if you ever want to get rid of it, you know who to call
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
great job cant wait to see it finish.Are you shooting for a 16inch wheelbase.
I am shooting for 16" WB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
Looking good man , cant wait to see it Sunday...

Short helps make it maneuverable but you better make with the lead and get her front heavy for climbing. Be interesting to see how it works compared to mine, as with the new chassis I'm at a RCH under 18".

Oh and if you ever want to get rid of it, you know who to call
I'm pretty excited to drive this thing. Hopefully it'll work at least well enough to make you look bad

Thanks for all the compliments everyone
Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm pretty excited to drive this thing. Hopefully it'll work at least well enough to make you look bad

Thanks for all the compliments everyone
Good luck, I just finished the rebuild on my super... and it's super dooper tits ! Bring on the climbs as I have 18" of wheelbase, and around 4-5/8" belly. Got the steering redone and its mucho better.

I'm just stoked to see 2 super shafties run

Just rememer, the old crappy set-up could hang on a good course with the Almighty so you got some ground to cover See you Sunday!!
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
MODERHATER™

How much work was it to mount up the Mad Force knuckles? I have a few sets of those i could tinker with...

I could run my shaft and the next comp to show you guys what up!!:-P
666 is offline   Reply With Quote