Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: my txt 4:1 gear mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Default my txt 4:1 gear mod

Hello, this is my first post hope it's useful. This is how I made my txt-1 axles 4:1. I used an Integy Steel Spur Gear 40T Revo and a Novak Pinion Gear Steel 5mm Shaft 12T, other than that i just used stock parts.

The pinion gear is too long to fit in the axle housing so it needed to be shortened up, the problem is it is very hard. heat the pinion until its glowing then let it cool on its own, after that its like butter on the lathe. some of one tooth needs to be removed for the set screw to be relocated

when I was done modifying the pinion I heated it until glowing and dropped it into a cup of water. this will harden it some but its not as hard as it was originally.
Next I turned down the side of the stock diff so the the new ring gear would snuggly fit over it, also had to removed the diff teeth.

more tomorrow
leemegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #2

I drilled three 3mm holes through the diff using the cover screw holes as a guide, then the holes on the rig gear needed to be ovalled to match.

I used button head screws with the heads turned down so they would fit in the diff cover. the case needed to be clearanced for the new gear and for the nuts to clear.

thats about it, thanks for looking
leemegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

Default my txt 4 1 gear mod

cool thanks jeckler I have not got a txt yet but i will and yes the diffs will be locked when i do the first build. I am going to print what u said for future reference.
hectorloshuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemegon View Post
I drilled three 3mm holes through the diff using the cover screw holes as a guide, then the holes on the rig gear needed to be ovalled to match.

I used button head screws with the heads turned down so they would fit in the diff cover. the case needed to be clearanced for the new gear and for the nuts to clear.

thats about it, thanks for looking
Funny how you said "Thanks for Looking" But there are not any pics??

Last edited by CraZySteve; 11-27-2010 at 11:49 AM.
CraZySteve is offline   Reply With Quote