Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Relocated my shocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Relocated my shocks!

Well today after putting my locked diffs back in the truck, i picked 4 Monster GT shocks off of my buddie that just got the new proline ones for the GT insted , so insted of putting the crap original shocks back on i gave my buddie a couple of $$ for 4 of them and put them on. I figued anythings better then the original ones. and insted of putting them in the original spot, i decided to change it up and see if i can make the truck any better,go to the links for pics!

I lost about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" of aticulation but the shocks are so stiff the shocks will not compress all of the way so im gonna drill out the holes in the pistons in the shocks and make it flow better and end up with a softer shock! when i press the shocks full down and and tilt the truck and all together when the shocks are alot softer the truck will only have lost about 1/4" or 1/2" of articulation, and from reading the other post about someone mounting there shocks kind of like mine , im hoping it will take all or almost all of the twist out of the truck. well check the pics out if u wanna see what i did! and let me know what you think!

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=40725

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=40729

and sorry the last pic sucks, ill try to get some tomorrow when its day light out!
airranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2004, 10:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Relocated my shocks!

A few tips for ya. move your lower links to the spot on the axle that your shocks are mounted. then mount your shocks in the forward hole so they have a less aggressive angle. Meaning away from 90*. make sense? You'll gain link clearence and it won't hurt a thing geometry wise and you should get a tad more travel because as the axle moves up the shock doesn't need to compress as much. if you have any questions let me know.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Ya dude don't drill! Fix the shock angle and you will be fine.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

He still might have to change fluid weights I have my rears like that. I had to change the oil from 40wt. to 30wt. I could still use a bit shock angle but since my front are still in the canti setup it would lwer my ride height to much.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ok the trucks together and works mint! way better then befor!

so you say i should put 30wt all around ?

i moved my front schocks ahead and it lowered my ride height, and took away articulation,(i tryed this last night when i move the front shocks but left the rears the original set up. im gonna go move the front shocks ahead and try that first then move the rears.

but insted of moving the shocks, cant i just change the oil to 30wt and the shocks can stay at that angle and eveything will be fine?????

let me know asap!

thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by airranger
but insted of moving the shocks, cant i just change the oil to 30wt and the shocks can stay at that angle and eveything will be fine?????
Try moving the angle of the shocks around and you will see what a huge affect it has on both atriculation and stiffness. Shock oil is going to either provide more or less dampening depending on the weight oil you use, I use 80wt all around.

Quote:
let me know asap!
Thats funny!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

hey rckjeep
i put my shocks on an angle and put the links up above. For the links above it made it way better! the shocks moved it made it better but not much difference, but it looks better too, but better is good, so im gonna go crawl tomorrow some where besides out side on the wells and see what the new set up can do!

also just wondering will LST tires fit directualy on the TXT-1 stock rims?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

also what can i do to make this truck a better crawler?

i was thinking
motors?
theres no fome in the tires so get some or just get some new tires with fomes, any sujestions?
Jeep body maby?
shock oil? what weight?
another servo, (so it will be 4ws)
get ride of front bumper and get a new servo mount.

any sujestions will be great!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
also what can i do to make this truck a better crawler?

i was thinking
motors?
theres no fome in the tires so get some or just get some new tires with fomes, any sujestions?
Jeep body maby?
shock oil? what weight?
another servo, (so it will be 4ws)
get ride of front bumper and get a new servo mount.

any sujestions will be great!
You need to read more threads here. The question "how do I make my truck better has been asked a million times.

And both Rckjeep and I posted in this thread what shock weight we use.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Search and you shall find. as far as what mods to make. go to the home page and scroll down to the tech article "Ten best mods for a TXT" then make them. But you'll have to find what works best for you. You're driving style, terrain you run on, and so forth will change your setup. Badger and I run the same trails but are trucks are quite different. Do get me wrong they have tons of similarities but they're not the same. I'm running the canti setup up front with 80wt. and the rears axle mounted like you'lll find in my posts with 30wt.

So I looked around and found the answer to your LST tire question. search for LST tire in the TXT forum or just go to the second page of listings. You'll find what Badger and I did to make them fit.

oh, it's good to have some action in here again. it has been pretty boring lately.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Search and you shall find. as far as what mods to make. go to the home page and scroll down to the tech article "Ten best mods for a TXT" then make them..
have you tried going to the article lately? its broken
twincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

none of them work on the home page? wtf? also i dont see the tech write up that says 10ways to inprove or what ever to the TXT-1.
all it says when you click on nay of them is

Sorry, this Module isn't active

also ya i have noticed that its getting pritty boring on this part of the sit too lol
Old 10-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #13

if any one has the txt 10 step acticle I would like to have a copy of it
twincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hey ya me too i would like a link to the top 10 list!

well i tryied my set up today and it sucks balls!!!!! my articulashion got cut in half and it just sucks !
so
I chaged the front back to the original set up and the rear, well i just left it alone, so i changed to rckjeep settings basicly and it kicks ass!!!!

thanks rckjeep my trucks way better now and it still has lots of articulashion. cant wait to go try it out on the big rocks now!

and rckjeep can you send my a link to how you put on your BFT's on your truck? because i cant get into it, it does the same thing as the others on the home page!
thanks!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I haven't tried the tech article lately. That sucks it's down. Here's a thread I did on my latest mods. It's a big part of the 10 best article
http://www.rccrawler.com/postt2522.html

here's a link to my how to fit BFT's on TXT wheels. It's the same idea.
http://www.rccrawler.com/postt1457.html

Hope this helps
Old 10-22-2004, 09:15 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

hey rckjeep
i sent u 2 PM's so check it out and let me know. also i see in the one pic of your truck the links line up to the same place like the lower and the higher end up at the same mount at the chassy, why is that?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:22 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

hey rckjeep
where did you get the aluminum servo mount?
did you make it or buy one?
also how much did you want for the wheel adapters if you still have them? i saw you posted that you have some for sale so PM me a price! thanks!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:24 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I'm SO confused. But here's a stab at it. You want your links to be parrellel when looking from the side. attaching the links(chassis side) in the same location will help with the torque twist. I've been told. I'm reading how four link suspension work so I did mine the tradional way. I think that's what you were asking.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

well made it iut to the b ach again and wasnt so fun this time, i was being ramis and there was a gap so i thought i would give her a little and it hit the front wheel hard and the left lower link that was located ontop of axes , the end broke , were the ball is, so i put it back down in its original spot so now i have 3 links above the axes and the ones below! errrr that pissing me off,

has this ever happened to you guys?
what did you do?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

so you mounted your links to the top of the axle on the H shaped piece right? then one of the legs of the H broke off? I did that. I cut the one that broke off the 3 others and remounted my links. Here's a pic