Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Mounting Tranny Motors Rearward?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Default Mounting Tranny Motors Rearward?

I am in the process of building up my TXT-1 truck and while doing the buildup I mounted the tranny with the motors towards the bed of the truck. Now that I realize I had it mounted backwards from what the manual shows, I turned the chassis around and swapped the wheels to face the right way. So now it is set up as stock. My question is what would have to be done to allow the motors to face the rear of the truck? Guessing that reverse rotation motors would have to be used, like the clod uses for the rear axle? I am using 2 Traxxas Titan 14V 550 motors. As far as I know, the endbells are fixed and not changeable, right?
mavrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i run mine like that with the battery in front. but i use rebuildable motors and reverse time them
chafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The older 23T 14.4 Titans have 0 degrees timing so they can be reversed without any modifications. The newer 21T Titans have advanced timing so they cannot be reversed but there is a special reverse rotation version from the brushed e-revo.

I have always setup my TXTs with the battery in front and the motors to the rear. I also have a couple of TXTs with the emaxx tranny in that configuration. When you use the Emaxx trans it spins reverse of a TXT transmission so when you mount it with the motors facing the rear you do not need to reverse the motors.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
The older 23T 14.4 Titans have 0 degrees timing so they can be reversed without any modifications. The newer 21T Titans have advanced timing so they cannot be reversed but there is a special reverse rotation version from the brushed e-revo.
I bought a pair of slightly used 14V Titans off ebay and a new EVX-2 16.8 volt speed controller. I think my motors are 21 turn? Decal says 550 motor - 14V Titan. How can I tell which version motors I have? Can anyone tell from looking at the pic below?

16.8-Volt Power System
The waterproof Traxxas EVX-2™ is optimized to deliver massive power from dual 7-cell battery packs. The EVX-2 packs a serious punch, belting out over 16 volts of power to the twin 550 high-torque motors. Titan 550 motors feature 30% longer motor armatures than a standard 540 size motor for monster big block torque. An internal fan helps keep the motors running at optimal temperatures for maximum power. Mash the throttle for wheelies on demand and absolutely mind-bending monster truck action that only E-Maxx can deliver. Designed by Traxxas, the EVX-2 features three drive profiles, thermal shutdown protection, and Traxxas high-current battery connectors. The EVX-2 also includes our exclusive, patent-pending Training Mode.™ This profile reduces the overall power output of the EVX-2 by 50% making it easier for young or new drivers to develop their control skills before unleashing full-power operation. The EVX-2 is manufactured by Traxxas to ensure the highest level of quality and support, plus it’s backed by the exclusive Traxxas Lifetime Electronics Warranty.

Last edited by mavrim; 03-02-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #5

I modified the rear revo driveshaft and attached it. Hooked up the electronics and tested the motors. As is, with the motors facing the rear, the truck moves forward and not backwards as believed? I first swapped the red/black power leads on the motor and the truck ran in reverse, had to reverse the servo on the transmitter. Any reason why my truck is moving forward, even though the normal mounting is for the motors to face the front of the truck?
Old 03-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm running my motors up front. They weigh more that the battery by almost double. I only have the electronics out back.
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Mavrim you'll need to re-program the controller.

GreMonte you must have lipo's? If you're geared down for crawling, you really only need one motor, which'll save some weight.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote