Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Juggernaut Axles with AX10 chassis/transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Juggernaut Axles with AX10 chassis/transmission

First this truck isn't complete yet but I did get enough it it done tonight that it runs. There isn't really much to say other than it runs. This is probably one of the "junkiest" trucks I have ever put together. (My junkiest ever was an original lunchbox modified to do some hill climbing, it was seriously ugly but climbed like a top) I had taken a hiatus from RC for a few years and just got back into it a little bit this summer with my basher TLT which is mostly stock. This project started when I was looking for some parts for my TLT. I came across the chassis and transmission - bought them and built the rest, with the exception of the wheels tires, from parts in my old dusty RC bin. Now, this entire truck probably needs to be rebuilt already but I have no time for such perfection anymore now that I have a young family.

The only good thing I can say about this truck is that it runs smooth and didn't break after one pack of testing...lol

Here are a few pics - I'll try to get some better ones later this week.

ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

OK - well day two with this rig and I realized that my LRP Sport is forward brake only. did I mention its been a few years since I've done any RC stuff? Let the ridicule begin.

So I went to my LHS and picked up a Duratrax ESC and a Hitec 645MG Servo. The new ESC has reverse, a big plus for bashing and the 645MG is just a little more powerful than the S148 that was in there initially.

I ran through another half pack or so tonight and I have to say I can't wait to get a body on this rig and get it to more interesting terrain. The curbs/rock gardens around my house are not posing any significant challenges to this crawler.

One more item that I should have mentioned in my original post, the motor was originally a Trinity speed Gems 10T which I used to make my own 51T armature. I made this motor for a TA-02 crawler I built years ago and it seems to be a pretty good starting point for this rig.

And lastly for this evening - this rig is HUGE! It's too big but this way it'll stay for a while...

On to more pictures.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Day three.

I had a few minutes to drive the beast today and I managed to pop off the rear drive shaft. I took a look and decided the Tamiya pin simply wasn't long enough for the Traxxas shaft. I looked through my "junk" pile and found an old #28 drill bit that seemed to fit just right. That was it, a hole, two cuts and a very quick polish with a 400 grit wet sand and a new pin was fashioned. The crawler was once again ready for action. Unfortunately my "play time" ran out so I'll have to wait till Thursday to drive it again.

Pictures taken with my BB so not the greatest quality...
Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Its not that bad looking actually. The hammers look a little short so some taller tires would help it to not look like a monster truck on road car tires if you know what i mean.
keep us updated though as im curious to see how this turns out
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

So I got out with the crawler for an hour or so over the weekend. I took it to an old long ago abandoned quarry, the terrain is full of large jagged rocks protruding from lots of dirt, small gravel and various vegetation. Overall I would rate this terrain pretty harsh!

About ten minutes into my crawling session I started smelling the “electronics getting too hot” smell! The crawler was working hard and often stalling. I decided that this terrain may be too harsh for my modest electronics and decided to move on. (I have been looking at a Tekin FXR/55T motor combo)

I “moved” on down the road where they are building a couple of houses and decided to crawl there. The terrain was average for a construction site. Piles of wood, loose fill, a couple of big rocks, etc… The Juggernaut fared much better there. No overheating electronics, lots of climbing over dirt, rocks and wood piles, etc… It was a blast! This truck is definitely fun to drive.

Impressions so far:
- Fun to drive
- Can go lots of places a standard open diff Juggernaut cannot go
- Truck is too long.
- Truck is too low, especially in dirt, skid plate acts as a shovel
- Not enough weight over the front tires.
- Steering links/setup has a tendency to really get in the way

So – I was thinking for testing purposes to shorten the lower front links by an inch. Not ideal but that’ll get me to a wheelbase of roughly 12.75”, put more weight over the front tires and hopefully get the center skid out of the dirt a little bit. My only reservation with this plan is it will put the front drive shaft at an even greater angle but I’m accepting that simply for the purposes of testing. If I like the performance with the short wheelbase, I’ll have to make a new chassis with better proportions and that repositions the transmission so the front drive shaft is at less of an angle.

I have cut and drilled some new front lower links already. I just need to tap them and then make some upper from links and a new shorter drive shaft.

Posting from work so no pictures…
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

A few images post crawl / shortening the wheelbase

And off to bed I go...

Last edited by ARC MotorSports; 08-24-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Your electronics should be fine. if I had to guess you are over geared I dont think the axial trans will give you enough reduction for the jugg axles..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Your electronics should be fine. if I had to guess you are over geared I dont think the axial trans will give you enough reduction for the jugg axles..
I've thought about that as well and I have ordered a couple smaller pinions to try out.

I'll keep this thread up to date as I progress
Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I finished shortening the wheelbase. I ended up making some lower links, using the original chassis braces for the uppers and fitted a Junfac drive shaft in the front. I also changed my motor for a Tamiya Type R motor. Off to the park I went with my son and within seconds I snapped the front outdrive for the transmission. Dang. So now I have had to order new outdrives for the transmission.

to the shelf the rig goes while I wait for parts. Stay tuned.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I was pretty happy with my shorter front end:

But then carnage ensued...

Old 09-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

While I wait for my replacement parts to arrive I have been working on the steering. I'm certain the plastic parts I used originally were going to fail at some point so I beefed things up a little. I began by flipping the knuckles around to raise the steering links up higher. Next, I made a mounting plate out of 1/8" fiberglass sheet for the servo mounts. Then I added some aluminum servo mounts and an aluminum servo horn. The lot has been secured with blue thread lock. everything is much stronger now with less flex, so much so I had to dial down my steering end points quite a bit. When I started this I was thinking a BTA setup but with where I mounted my links etc... I decided I would leave the steering gear in the front for now.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I got some parts in the mail yesterday! I re-assembled the transmission yesterday. I used 3racing steel outdrives and a new Kimbrough 87T spur. I also decided to go with the Axial 55T motor and a 12T pinion. This should give me a reasonable starting point with breaking parts with motors that are simply too aggressive for this rig.

My intention is to re-assemble the rig tonight – I might even through a body on it!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
cherry bomb

good work, I like it alot, I want one hehe

keep the pics comming, maybe some action shots one day ;)
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

And re-assembled now sporting a body.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I need your template for upper link mounts...I have a set just sitting built waiting for me to figure out upper link placements
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
I need your template for upper link mounts...I have a set just sitting built waiting for me to figure out upper link placements
Sorry I never drew them, I just made them by hand.

I started with a square piece, marked the holes with the top cap for the axle. drilled the holes - mounted to the axle and found center.

Then I rough cut it and finished them off with a belt sander.

This is one of the reasons I like working with 1/8 fiberglass sheet. It's real easy to cut and shape.