Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Got this txt based crawler on trade, what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Jer
Rock Crawler

Default Got this juggernaut based crawler on trade, what do you think?

This is my first crawler. aside from changing the lower links from hollow aluminum tubes to 1/4" steel I haven't modified anything from the way I got it. I would like to redo the way the steering servos link up to the hubs, and find some larger tires than the trail dawgs that are on it. What other suggestions would you give to make it more capable. Also where would I put a battery besides the zip ties on the roof?

Last edited by Jer; 08-31-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: re-titled to correct model
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Got this txt based crawler on trade, what do you think? What other suggestions would you give to make it more capable. Also where would I put a battery besides the zip ties on the roof?
Looks like a pretty solid "stockish" Juggernaut. What do I think? A little jealous frankly . As far making changes, given my juggernaut isn't done yet, I don't have much to say other than experiment and look at some of the other juggernauts on this forum for inspiration.

You'll definitely want the battery lower. If you are using a single battery you may want to go for a saddle pack and put each half lower in the chassis or even lower on the sides.

Nice ride!
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

I figured it was mostly custom made aluminum, but after googling jugg2's I found out it's all just a modified stock lol even the roof is just modified skidplates. Has anyone flipped the motor/trans upside down to lower the cog before?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I figured it was mostly custom made aluminum, but after googling jugg2's I found out it's all just a modified stock lol even the roof is just modified skidplates. Has anyone flipped the motor/trans upside down to lower the cog before?
I've scene the trans flipped upside down before but not on a crawler - that said it could probably be done.

Short term though I think it would be easier to try and lower the battery.

One common mod is to mount a plate (generally plastic) on the front upper links and secure the battery to it. Keeps the weight lower and up front.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #5

Well i have a jug that i have made a new frame for it it look cool but as far as a good crawler, sone parts will start to be hard to get so for the money maybe look at something newer or a 10th scale crawler. i would just use it for a play toy i would show you what i have done with mine i dont have any pics on this site but i could send you a pic if you are intersted i made mine so let me know and good luck
teamaluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'd mount the shocks at the ends of the links where they meet the axles; that'll limit the articulation and give it better stability. Do you have a shot of the steering linkage?
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Jer
Rock Crawler

teamaluminum: send some pics to sithdragon@yahoo.com

mazlem: I just flipped the shocks upside down and moved them to the lower hole just behind where the frame is bent inward. It lifted the chassis up a bit and gave me some much needed clearance as well as brought some of the articulation down a bit. I will get a pic of the crappy steering setup tomorrow. If I mounted the shocks the way you say I am worried they would be too short to benefit travel, who makes shocks with a longer travel?

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.

Last edited by Jer; 08-31-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Jer
Rock Crawler

front steering setup

rear steering setup

reversed steering knuckles

I like how the steering knuckles are tucked behind the axles, it makes it less likely to snag on a rock on the approach. However I think the servo link lacks quite a bit of design. I am planning on making the center link a larger diameter as well as moving the steering link to the opposite knuckle for more movement from the servo. any other suggestions for improvements? I am on a super tight budget so better servos are out for now.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Don't worry about the center clearance; that'll come when you get bigger tires. The lower links should be close to parallel with the ground. Try moving the bottom of the shocks closer to the axles, then drill new holes for the top on the chassis ~halfway between the original point and where they are now. You could also take one shock apart and see if there's a piece in there that limits the travel.

For the steering, mount the short link higher on the servo arm to make it closer to parallel with the bottom link.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC MotorSports View Post
I've scene the trans flipped upside down before but not on a crawler - that said it could probably be done.
Oh yes.

Attached Images

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

Also, for the steering, you will see better geometry if you can run the link from the servo horn to the other knuckle, making the link much longer.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Oh yes.

Nice rig! I see and admire all of the modern crawlers for their capabilities but there's just something I love about these older Juggernaut/TXT crawlers.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
Jer
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. As I said before, it's my first crawler so any/all advice in how to finish it properly is a plus.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC MotorSports View Post
Nice rig! I see and admire all of the modern crawlers for their capabilities but there's just something I love about these older Juggernaut/TXT crawlers.
Word. The TXT was my first, and you never forget your first.

That was from like, 2004 and 2005. The good ol' days.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Jer
Rock Crawler

Had a little time on my hands today and have some powdercoat colors I have wanted to try so I spend a couple min taking the juggernaut apart and coating the roof and side braces with a transparent blue, which turned out looking almost like anodized on the aluminum. I will probably coat the upper links and the lower shock mounts just to keep the blue/silver theme throughout.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #16
Jer
Rock Crawler

I got the steering setup to the opposite knuckles now, and my front steering servo crapped out. I don't understand a thing about how they rate them. My budget is nil right now but I would like to get an idea of pricing for a pair of decent servos. What is a decent amount of power to have as I have no idea what the ratings mean. thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

They're rated in torque at a given voltage; the more the better. For a crawler you want something like this - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ80&P=7
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #18
Jer
Rock Crawler

I found this one, other than being a brand I don't recognize it looks to be pretty powerful and inexpensive.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/12exiseb11.html
Old 09-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Word. The TXT was my first, and you never forget your first.

That was from like, 2004 and 2005. The good ol' days.

2x... TXT was my first also...
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I found this one, other than being a brand I don't recognize it looks to be pretty powerful and inexpensive.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/12exiseb11.html
I'd stick with a Hitec 625MG - reliable, proven and parts are available.