Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Which Gear Reduction unit??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Which Gear Reduction unit??

Hi All,

Newbie to the site . I have spent the last few days reading/searching along... I have a 100% bone stock TXT-1 that I am going to transform into a crawler

I do have 2 brand new Kyosho Mag Mayhem 22t motors and some 10t and 13t pinions as well. I would like to use these with a gear redux unit

From what I have been reading... It looks like a gear reduction unit along with a single motor will fit the bill as a good starting point (along with removing some excess weight. )

I am looking at the following 3 units
  • Great Planes GD600 setup as 3.8:1
  • RC4wd 4:1
  • HPI Wheel King Gear Box 7.4:1
I am leaning towards the RC4wd or the HPI unit as neither require modifications.

Help a Newbie out! - Wanting to hear some thoughts!

Thanks in advance!
- CS-
CraZySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraZySteve View Post
Hi All,

Newbie to the site . I have spent the last few days reading/searching along... I have a 100% bone stock TXT-1 that I am going to transform into a crawler

I do have 2 brand new Kyosho Mag Mayhem 22t motors and some 10t and 13t pinions as well. I would like to use these with a gear redux unit

From what I have been reading... It looks like a gear reduction unit along with a single motor will fit the bill as a good starting point (along with removing some excess weight. )

I am looking at the following 3 units
  • Great Planes GD600 setup as 3.8:1
  • RC4wd 4:1
  • HPI Wheel King Gear Box 7.4:1
I am leaning towards the RC4wd or the HPI unit as neither require modifications.

Help a Newbie out! - Wanting to hear some thoughts!

Thanks in advance!
- CS-

I took the gamble - I wound up buying the HPI Wheel King Gear box - for starters I am going to use the stock 540 can wired backwards. It should arrive by the end of the week...

I also have a transmission from an old Tamiya F-150 Ranger (Sand Scorcher / Rough Rider / Super Champ same as the re-released "Super Champ" )

I know that it has a nice 70T pinion on it that is driven by the motor..... I want to figure out what the final reduction of that tranny is compared to the TXT-1 transmission. I think it has better reduction than the TXT-1 tranny..

I will keep you all posted
Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I ran the Tamiya Mammoth gearbox combo for a long time with a single Mag Mayhem and it worked very well.

Stock TXT with 15tooth pinion = 34:1 Overall Crawl Ratio
Stock TXT with 8tooth pinion = 63:1 Overall Crawl Ratio
Mammoth Gearbox with 13tooth pinion = 91:1 Overall Crawl Ratio (2.69:1 Stock)
Mammoth Gearbox with 8tooth pinion = 149:1 Overall Crawl Ratio (4.375:1 Modified)

More info on the Mammoth gearbox

My downloadable TXT/JUGG Ratio Spreadsheet

Now i'm running the 4:1 axle gears

Last edited by kona_joe; 11-16-2010 at 07:59 PM.
kona_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona_joe View Post
I ran the Tamiya Mammoth gearbox combo for a long time with a single Mag Mayhem and it worked very well.

Stock TXT with 15tooth pinion = 34:1 Overall Crawl Ratio
Stock TXT with 8tooth pinion = 63:1 Overall Crawl Ratio
Mammoth Gearbox with 13tooth pinion = 91:1 Overall Crawl Ratio (2.69:1 Stock)
Mammoth Gearbox with 8tooth pinion = 149:1 Overall Crawl Ratio (4.375:1 Modified)

More info on the Mammoth gearbox

My downloadable TXT/JUGG Ratio Spreadsheet

Now i'm running the 4:1 axle gears

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the info -- I did find you Mammoth transmission page prior to ordering the HPI gear redux box. I do not think those parts are available anymore... As I have stated.. I hope to determine the gear ration of the old F-150 ranger transmission.. I can almost bet it is better than the lousy 6.37 that the TXT-1 transmission offers due to a 65T or 70T gear that gets turned by the motor pinion!