Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: EP's 14'r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

They should fit, if not you can always trim them shorter.
Great lookin truck Eee Pee!!

Last edited by cowboyrc; 04-07-2006 at 05:07 PM.
cowboyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #22
MODERATOR™

There's a yo Holmes Hobbies Revolver on it's way, thanks JRH. My intent it to to see what this little bugger is made of. I have two of each wind of lathe motors at my disposal to compare it to. I also have the two stock cans, and a Magnetic Mayhem. I also have a GD600 with the 3 different pinions.

I'll be starting by just bolting up the Revolver to the TXT tranny. Removing two heavy motors up high out to really make a difference where the center of gravity is located. Then there's the tiny Mamba 25 ESC that will shed more weight. The battery pack will likely be that CPB Monster pack. Should be fun.

I've also installed an Airtronics 361 Rock Crusher servo. Along with a Spektrum DX3 radio.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

How do you like the mashers? And what rims are you running? And are you running foam?
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam
How do you like the mashers? And what rims are you running? And are you running foam?

read alittle more and look at the pics less before you post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
It'll almost stand on it's side, there's 3 1/2 inches of center clearance.

I have the foams from 2.2 Mashers, uncut, inside. Works damn good.

Added in that the wheels are air tight as Maximizers come from the factory.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #25
MODERATOR™

Can't beat the Mashers. In my area, they always hook up much better than Moabs. 2.2 or full sized.

They work great.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

I was thinking about running krawlers or k rock, I might just run mashers.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
read alittle more and look at the pics less before you post.

Sorry.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #28

Hey, nice rig EeePee.

I'm lookin at getting into crawling but prefered the TXT based rigs to the Clods. Basicaly is your rig just a standard TXT with different length links, repositioned shocks and maxx driveshafts. Also when you first started this rig were you just running the lathe motor on the standard tranny without the gd600??

Sorry for all the questions.

Colin.
Col87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #29
MODERATOR™

Thanks Colin. Yeah, basically. The chassis is chopped. At the moment the truck sits at 14.5 inches for the wheelbase and has the stock lower front links for lowers (with the swaybar hole) and the uppers are some custom length jobs to give the front axle near zero castor. The rear lowers are the previous uppers (without a swaybar hole), and the uppers are the former lowers. So there's a little front bias.

I think that's a 65 turn lathe motor, and there's a 9 tooth pinion gear inside.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

You'll love the Revolver! The drag brake is one of the best features. That and the POWER these little suckers have.

Can't wait to see your comparisons.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #31
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I cant wait either. It will be good to get some side-by-side use. Txt's need a big more attention to gearing and voltage too, so it will push the motor harder.

I still love my 14"er, although I got my beaver handed to me at the comp today. Needed 2 more inches for just about every gate.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #32
MODERATOR™

Got the motor today, faster shipping than TowerHobbies. Thanks JRH.

Prototype carbon fiber version.

Attached Images

Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #33

LOL!!

That actually looks pretty cool. I just sold my txt (that never got used). Yours looks good enough to give me regrets!!
Old 07-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #34
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
give me regrets!!
That's too bad. You can have mine.

Welp, I got the combo in place, charged up the CPB Monster pack (six 2500 mah A cells) and left the Mamba 25 ESC alone other than setting it up. I took the truck for a quick cruise to see how the wheelspeed was. The 9 tooth was too slow for bumpin up stuff, too slow for catching the truck from falling over backwards, and too slow to flip it back over when I do those sweet complete rollovers. To me that means this motor is similar in speed to the 65 turn lathe motor I had in it a while back. So I went to a 13 tooth, something I didn't do with the 65. The 65 turn wasn't really enough motor sometimes as it was with the 9 tooth.

Now it bumps up, it catches, and it rolls all the way over.

I just moved so I took the truck down the alleys looking for some new testing grounds. I didn't find anything really challenging, but the Revolver never, ever felt weak. Full speed is a fast walking pace. It sounds awesome too. So far so good. Tomorrow will be it's first real test over in Indiana. So, more to come.

I think the Maxx driveshafts are in for some trouble.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #35

So just a 13t pinion with normal txt gearing otherwise huh? The smaller diameter maxx tires do bring the rollout down a bit compared to taller tires like lst's.

Dont push it too hard when you get a wedged tire. You dont have a slipper, and more than one person has broken parts with that motor (including me). Maybe your maxx shafts will give first eh?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #36
MODERATOR™

Yeah, just the 13 tooth on the motor and bolted it up to the TXT tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Maybe your maxx shafts will give first eh?
That's the reason the Maxx shafts have always been in this truck, I like the weak link.

And of course I know I should go get some for spares. The ones in the truck have been half twisted for a pretty long time now.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #37
MODERATOR™

Well, I'm back from the six hour round trip to Indiana. Firstly I must say this is a pretty sweet truck. Like a good performing TLT, this TXT can surprise me with what it can do sometimes. Especially considering how low the center clearance is, and how very little flex it has. A tire can be lifted about three inches before the other lifts, that's it. Short shocks, and way stiff springs. I know how over rated flex is, and this supports that idea to me.

I broke a Dubro servo horn. That's it. I replaced it with a two sided one, incase it also breaks, and the top part broke off that one, so technically, I broke two servo horns. The Dubros are doing what they are supposed to. And actually I broke the Dubro horn on the TLT too. If it's saving the servo then fine, I don't mind breaking horns. Three in one day might be a little too brittle though. But the servos are good to go, so whatever.

The Airtronics 361 servo once again kicked butt. The Spektrum radio did what it does.

The Maxx shafts have more of a twist to them. I got a front tire jammed and before I knew it the they were stopped and the rears went around once more. The rear shaft just gets beat on so I figure it was just getting a little fatigued all day long. They both still work, but I really should get some spare shafts.

Okay, now about this Mamba 25/ Revovler combo. Again, the sound is sweet, as is the spinning motor can. I got the wheelspeed spot on, it had exactly the right amount to get up those steep inclines, and bump stuff, and all that. On the dot. Where I was is pretty much a large layout of all sized boulders, some going up the face of a hill. Okay, now when I'm slightly always on the throttle this thing can power over it all, or keep spinning the tires as it searches for traction. But sometimes when the truck stopped, it would do some weird stuff, like either not try to go forward at all, or hick up and scream at me, and I'd squeeze the gas again and it'd get going. Or sometimes I'd reverse a little then get going (not comp friendly). I changed the Start Up profile from low to high (high is recommended for crawling they say), then to normal (I think). Each setting was doing something for sure, but which is best for this particular truck I'm not sure yet. I understand they expect you to be using the highest bursting batteries you can when it's set to high, and maybe that's why normal might have worked better for me. Maybe the A cells couldn't do the bursts.

The motor got pretty toasty, I don't know for sure how hot, but not hotter than the batteries. And it was also weird that the batteries got as warm as they did. Almost as hot as when you take them off the charger. Usually there isn't much in the way of temperature in either with the lathe.

So, overall, the little Revovler can put out some power, I just need to mess with the ESC some more. Maybe the start up can be fine tuned with the adjustable throttle curve. Maybe I need to try the GP3300s. Oh, and the stock RC18 2/3A pack sucked. The difference between it and the CPB Monster pack was very noticeable, which is why I commented about the bursts capabilities.

I really like this truck.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Sounds good Eee Pee. The little Revolver is indeed impressive.

As for the motor temps? I only use mine on a TLT that is just over 4 lbs ready to crawl. I use 6 and 7 cell IB 2/3 A 1200s and my motor temp has never been more than slightly warm.

Maybe the additional weight of the TXT is conjunction w/ the gearing you are using is the culprit?

Either way, as long as it's not getting extremely hot it should be ok.

BTW, the rig looks sweet w/ the Chevy body.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #39

You have a huge headroom on tempurature, do you have a temp guage EeePee?

The batteries are going to make the biggest difference in performance with the motor. Your cells are heating up more because the motor has a larger initial amp spike. Quality cells AND construction is key. Little tin strip connected cells wont act right, and can cause erratic motor performance.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #40
MODERATOR™

I do have an infrared temp gauge, I didn't bring it with me. I'll get some temps eventually. There's a lot more testing/tinkering to be done.