Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: TXT Phase 3 Mods. 56K Warn update 12/01 More Changes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TXT Phase 3 Mods. 56K Warn update 12/01 More Changes

Hello all
I been busy last couple of weeks doing quite a bit to our TXT. Managed to score a set of chassis plates from a member here. This allowed me to keep a set of stock plates as well for another project. Anyway, did a handful of changes to the truck. Included taking a 1.312 off the bottom of the plates. Ground clearance now is 4.600 at the bottom of the center skid and 4.350 at the transmission. Upper/lower links are now on a common point as well. Wheelbase is exactly 15 inches and for now I threw a set of T-Maxx 2.5 shafts in it. Transmission got it's ears removed and was moved up a bit too. Moving the trans up a bit required the radio gear plate to move up which required some little stand offs to do so. Made a cross brace to hold the trans too, can be seen in pic 5. Very pleased so far, just have to tune on spring rates now as it is way too mushy. Also got a set of LST tires and they will be going on stock TXT wheels soon as I get some time. Also will be installing two receiver battery packs to feed the steering servo. They'll be mounted down on the center skid, left and right of the trans. Might pick up one of these 55 turn lathe motors I been reading about too, seems some really like them. Currently running a Multi-Plex 600 through the MP Jet planetary and final drive is 129:1 :P Anyway, cruise through the pics and let me know what ya'll think. Suggestions welcome. The large black animal you see in one of the pics is the shop guard dog, don't be alarmed

RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
bendforthebone

Default Re: TXT Phase 3 Mods. 56K Warn (8 pics).

omg that is so nice looking! 8O
badtodabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
06 Super National Champ

Looking killer, Bill!

Do yourself a favor, ditch the 2.5 shafts and get a set of the Revo shafts (Part number 5451).

(and ditch those ugly stock bumpers! )
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind comments. Jason, the stock bumpers are next on the list to get rid of...... one thing at a time man :o Errrrrrr, I went for the 2.5 shafts because my LHS didn't have any Revo. Other thought was the Revo shafts look too large (scale-wise) for this truck. Dunno, have to see how the 2.5's hold up. Next week I hope to get my pieces made to get the LST's on the TXT wheels. Then will do something about the bumpers. Really really need to figure out why the truck is so mushy now. Maybe try some different springs??
Old 11-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
06 Super National Champ

When it comes to breaking driveshafts....durabilty comes before scale looks. ESPECIALLY if you plan on using a larger, stickier tire like the LSTs.

Stiffer sprnigs will help. Could try some thicker shock oil in the meantime.

I'm assuming you've removed the small bump stop on the body mount that limits the suspension travel, and removed the small piece of rubber tubing on the shock shaft as well.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

AH yes, once the LST's are on we'll see if I can twist these 2.5 shafts then will look into the Revo parts. Errrrr, when I first got this truck I took the rubbers off the shock shafts. However, if you need me I will be over at the bench removing bump stops from body mounts now. LOL Didn't even think of that. Gosh, what would we do without good ol' JasonInAugusta. Will also dig around for some different springs to try and shock oil. I am sure it has 30wt in it because I never did anything with 'em.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
06 Super National Champ

After you trim the bumpstops you'll probably want to check your driveshafts and make sure they don't bind up when the truck is articulated. I know this is a problem with the E trannies, not sure if they'll bind with the stock tranny. (I've never used a stock tranny)
Old 11-21-2004, 11:28 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Just a few suggestions. Drop the body down to the frame you'll be amazed at how much of a difference it makes. Go to traditional steering. And look into making a skid plate with a drop in it like I did. Otherwise you will destroy your tranny case. There are pics of my skid on this site search under my name and tranny in the search field and you'll find it. Nice start though.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

rckjeep:
Not quite sure what you mean by traditional steering. Thanks for the skid idea, was going to invent something to cover the lower piece of the trans. Far as lowering the body, will give it a try and see if I am surprised
Old 11-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #10
TRD
Rock Stacker

move your tranny up a hole that will give you the clearance you need. vary nice truck so clean, do you use it ?
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck man!!! that skid at the bottum is cool!!!

Later
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:39 PM   #12
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
look into making a skid plate with a drop in it Otherwise you will destroy your tranny case.
I had the bottom of my tranny poking thru my skid plate like that at first, got hung up on it a Lot. You might wanna countersink the screw heads too. Spin it around and run the battery in the front. Other than that it looks awesome.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That is beautiful. I wish I still had my stock chassis Maybe I will be the first to hack up the lightweight chassis 8O
rc4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:38 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments everyone, appreciate it. Going to try and invent something to cover the trans where it pokes out of the lower skid, to cover it. Then will get to work on getting these fresh new LST's mounted to my wheels.
RC4x4.......... couldn't have done it without ya
Old 11-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I looked again and noticed it the steering has been converted. The front skid plate thru me off. Nice truck.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default Update 11/22 Center Skid Change

Hello all
Had a bit of time today while in the shop so I invented a additional center skid piece. We'll call it a secondary center skid plate Turned out pretty nice but I am going to shorten the stand offs to get some of my ground clearance back. Pics included..........

Old 11-22-2004, 02:42 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TXT Phase 3 Mods. 56K Warn (11 pics) Update 11/22

looking very good now get rid of those front and rear bumpers and your set
Team-FSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #18
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I don't want to be mean, but your skids look over engineered.

I would either raise the tranny up so you don't need the second skid or do what rckjeep did.

You do really nice fab work though.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments on the center skid. "Badger", forgive me but I am a machinist (is what I get paid for) by heart and it is my job to over engineer I agree though but this was the quickest way for me to get the truck rock safe for the Holidays I plan to go over the center skid idea again and do a one piece type, no hurry on that though. More anxious to get my LST's mounted. On another note Badger, your truck and website have been a very large part of my inspiration to build my TXT up the way you see it. Spent many a late nite hours studying pictures on your site and making notes Thanks!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:33 PM   #20
MODERATOR™

So nice looking, just to get all scratched up.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote