RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/)
-   -   Can I run motors like this? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/320453-can-i-run-motors-like.html)

jclampy 06-07-2011 07:17 AM

Can I run motors like this?

I have read that some people run their TXT-1 with motors in the back instead of the front by reverse wiring them. Which they say leads to shorter running times and hotter motor temperatures.

Would it work if I run the motors in the rear without reverse wiring them and instead just flick my transmitter 'servo throttle reverse switch' to reversed position instead of normal? Would that eleviate the disadvantages of the 'reverse wiring' method? Any issues or potential problems with this idea?

I am running a Novak ESC, not the stock MSC/servo if that has some reference to the transmitter's 'servo throttle reverse switch' or not?

JohnRobHolmes 06-07-2011 07:36 AM

If you replace the stock sealed can motors you can run them in reverse with no problems. Reversing the stock motors doesn't work well because they are fixed timing, so they will be running retarded.

jclampy 06-07-2011 08:34 AM

I'm not thinking of from the point-of-view of whether the motors can handle reverse wiring. Although I thought the stock silver can's could be reversed wired as used on the Clod Buster. I did read on my searching of the forum about how motor timing is an issue when reserving *any* motors.

My question is in regard to the "shorter running times and hotter motor temperatures" that appareantly result from using reverse wiring. I'm wondering if this is an alternative method...

"Would it work if I run the motors in the rear without reverse wiring them and instead just flick my transmitter 'servo throttle reverse switch' to reversed position instead of normal? Would that eleviate the disadvantages of the 'reverse wiring' method? Any issues or potential problems with this idea?"

That way everything on the truck is wired normally and should eleviate those aforementioned problems and only the 'transmitter' is reversed.

Or have I lost the plot somewhere? ;-)

JohnRobHolmes 06-07-2011 08:47 AM

Whether you reverse the motors at the ESC, endbell, transmitter, or wires- you still have reverse rotating motors. Retarded timing leads to greater heat, faster wear, lower efficiency, and lower power. It doesn't matter what you do, you need to use reverse rotation motors or motors that have adjustable timing.

The rear clod motor was made for reverse rotation.

Hope that helps.

jclampy 06-07-2011 08:54 AM

Thankyou very much for clearing that up for me. "thumbsup"

I hadn't read anyone mentioning reversing the transmitter so thought it might have been a workaround as not 'physically wired' with the trucks electrical system. :oops:

Oh well, I guess I will just stick with the motors in the front to keep things *simple* for me. :mrgreen: