Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Steering Servo Upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 04:13 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steering Servo Upgrade

Well I'm only running a single motor and I swaped in my Rooster last night so I'll try it and run the extra batteries too. Then If that doesn't work I'll swap to a 9t pinion and the crawlbox.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2004, 09:16 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Hey Badger, So the rooster helped. I'm going to try the 4 AA batteries today.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:18 AM   #43
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Cool! you should get even more steering with the reciever pack. We should hook up some time when you get yours dialed in, and mine is finished. I have a log run in my back yard and need to build something out of the rocks I just got.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:59 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

I was having kinda the same prob with not much power and my servos could not turn the tires when standing still, even on linolium?? flooring and would often times not have the power to go up and over obstacles. Im running a Super rooster - only one motor and two servos which I was told that they would turn the truck standing still(they are airtronics 94161 and 94735) I bought a pretty cheap battery pack($25) from LHS, but I didnt think they would be too awfull - got like 15 min times and it is a 2400 NI-CD team orion pack?????Do I need a reciever pack or better batts? Help please
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #45

Yeah the receiver pack will help you out alot. All it does is provide more power to your servos which is exactly what you need.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #46
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Time to upgrade to the Hitec 645MG's
My 645MG lasted for around 6 batteries. :( My son hit a lawn chair but it didn't seem to effect the steering right then, but later the gears stripped when I was climbing some bricks. I wasn't running a servo saver.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:26 PM   #47

Ok so let me get this straight, cus i'm tired of buying servos as well.

One Hitec HS-945MG will do a GREAT job of turning the TXT-1 stock wheels? Do they turn the wheels while the truck is sitting still? I don't want any stripping either.
I might buy a second one sometime, but for now I'm just going to get one. Will this be alright?

Thanks a lot guys. I've had a lot of bad luck with my TXT-1 so far, and hope this will be the last step before I can do some real offroading.
todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My 645MG lasted for around 6 batteries.
That sucks. mine have been good for a few weeks. I'm running them front and rear. I'm not running a servo saver either. I did have the servo arm come loose from the force but a little thread lock fixed that.

Are you geared down at all? Was is a impact with any good amount of speed?
Old 08-01-2004, 12:37 PM   #49

Does anybody here run 1/4 scale Hitec HS-805BBs? This looks like an amazing servo, and only 45 bucks each. It turns 275 / 343 oz.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/hs805.htm

I'm new here, and have seen a lot of talk about servo mounts. Are the people who are relocating their servos because they have 1/4 scale ones? Or do they just want their standard servos located elsewhere?

Maybe somebody who runs a 1/4 scale servo could post a couple shots of their mount? I'd really appretiate that.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #50
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Are you geared down at all? Was is a impact with any good amount of speed?
I'm running 9-tooth pinions. The impact wasn't too brutal. My 4 year old was driving, he nailed the throttle about 4-5 ft from the lawn chair and didn't turn in time. A couple of teeth stripped off of the output gear, so I pulled the dowel and rotated the gear 180 degrees and reinstalled it. That lasted for a while. Just a few minutes ago I was driving next to the house and hit the bricks with the left front.... stripped the other side of the gear. :? I have a set of replacement gears to go in the servo.

I think I'll try a servo saver. Anybody use the Kimbrough 124?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXS361&P=K
Will I be able to turn with it?

EDIT: pulled the servo apart, this time it was one of the brass gears stripped and not the output gear.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:35 PM   #51

I have that servo saver, it works good, but will give you less steering just like any servo saver would.

It really is your preference if you want to run a servo saver or not.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #52

What kind of power are you guys using to power your steering servo(s)? Right now mine is ONLY hooked to 4 AA batteries - the ones that power my reciever. Is this the right way? Or do you guys use another NiCD battery? How did you wire that? Wouldn't a big battery like that be too much power for a reciever? My reciever only has an inlet for the plug for the 4 AA pack.

Also, I just bought a Hitec HS-945MG. I tried it with the stock servo saver and it doesn't do squat! Doesn't turn my wheels at all. I'm assuming, and hoping, it's because of the servo saver. Somebody said they just use horn that came with the servo - or the battery problem above. All of the horns that came with mine have small holes, and are all plastic. Am I going to have to drill one of the bigger for the steering rod pivot, or whatever it's called? Wouldn't that significantly weaken the horn?

Thanks guys