Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: 1/4 scale servo on stock txt-1?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 1/4 scale servo on stock txt-1?

wondering if a 1/4 scale servo limits the suspentions movement on a stock txt? or if it will hit the bumper with the axle up?
TXT-1Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
RockEater7

i use that setup with my txt, it doesnt limit the travel at all
-Chris
Old 01-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT-1Tyler
wondering if a 1/4 scale servo limits the suspentions movement on a stock txt? or if it will hit the bumper with the axle up?

Why would you want to run a 1/4 scale servo? They are not very efficient nor do they supply any advantages over a GOOD 1/10 scale servo. 1/4 scale servos need power.... you'll need to run a reciever pack to keep play time long enough. I've ran 1/4 scale servos in the past, and will never run them again..... well..... maybe but only if I ever decide to build another BIG truck.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Why would you want to run a 1/4 scale servo? They are not very efficient nor do they supply any advantages over a GOOD 1/10 scale servo. 1/4 scale servos need power.... you'll need to run a reciever pack to keep play time long enough. I've ran 1/4 scale servos in the past, and will never run them again..... well..... maybe but only if I ever decide to build another BIG truck.

There is no servo out there thats very efficient, plus you can get 2 1/4 scales for the price of 1 standard servo, plus a good standard servo has to be digital forcing you to buy and expensive radio, 343 oz/in of torque for 55 bucks on both ends of the truck you cant beat that... plus with 2 stadard size servos require a reciever pack also...

just my 2 cents...

Later
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDaSnake
There is no servo out there thats very efficient, plus you can get 2 1/4 scales for the price of 1 standard servo, plus a good standard servo has to be digital forcing you to buy and expensive radio, 343 oz/in of torque for 55 bucks on both ends of the truck you cant beat that... plus with 2 stadard size servos require a reciever pack also...

just my 2 cents...

Later
Jake
You don't need expensive radio for dual digital servos, you need Novak Super Rooster esc. I run 2 digital Hitec 945mg's w/ out rx pack, w/ my TQ-3 am radio. Works awesome!
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
RockEater7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Here is why I run 1/4 scale servos:
first of all, I can get not one, but *TWO* for $57.98 (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLN93&P=7)

for price comparison, the cost of *ONE* HS-945MG servo (which is not the best 1/10 scale servo by any means, but decent, so i will use it for servo comparison) is $72.99 (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNZ35&P=7)

so, 2 of them will be $145.98

ok, now you may say that 1/4 scale servos require a receiver pack which is true, even so, a good receiver pack is only $30 (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFPY8&P=7)

also, running 2 DIGITAL 1/10 scale servos will also NEED a receiver pack for best performance, even when using a super rooster. However, if you do not agree with this, going with 1/4 scale servos still puts you ahead $58.00 even with the added cost of a receiver pack

aside from the price advantages 1/4 scale offers, here are the rest:
-heavier, which means more weight on the axles which equates to more traction and stability
-much larger nylon servo horn with teeth that could be considered 48-pitch (you will never strip a 1/4 scale servo horn)
-way more torque: 1/4 scale Hobbico CS-80 has 343oz/in at 6.0volts HS-945MG has LESS THAN HALF of that at 153oz/in at the same voltage
-the Hobbico CS-80 has a .14sec transit time, the HS-945MG has a .12sec transit time, a difference so little that it need not be a factor, not to mention that in rock crawling, it does not matter how fast you can steer

Hopefully by now, with these FACTS presented, you have seen the light of 1/4 scale servos

-Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

Rockeater does your RX pack last as long, w/ two 1/4 scale servos, as your stick pack? If so, how many packs can you run before you need to charge RX pack? You also need a charger for RX pack. I just think if you build strategically, and keep weight of your rig reasonable, you can get away w/ 1/10 servos. I wouldn't spend money on SR if your going to use RX pack. There are also guys here that run clods w/ 2 lathe motors and two 1/10 scale digital servos off just SR w/ out any problems. Your adding a lot of bulk/weight running two 1/4 scalers and an RX pack. Just my opinion though. ;)
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
RockEater7

my RX pack lasts about 3 runs with the stick pack, i charge both batteries at once using a Duratrax Intellipeak Dual charger, which i got for $50
i guess your right in the fact its possible to 'get away with' using 1/10 scale servos depending on your situation, however, to get 1/10 scale servos that match the performance of 1/4 scale, be prepared to spend a good $200 on a pair of servos

to me, it just makes more sense to stick with 1/4 scale for the reasons i mentioned earlier in this thread

-Chris