Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Starting to fab parts for the Jugg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Web Wheeling

Lightbulb Slowing building up the Jugg to crawl, its rolling.

I've wanted to turn my Jugg into a full blown crawler for almost a year now. The one thing that has always put it back on hold was the steering. I had tried the Xtreme servo mounts on both sides of the axle and did not like either setup.

And just tonight I decided to try bending up some aluminum to mount the servo above the center gear housing. This will also have the upper center link mount fabbed up later on. The first bracket you see here was bent up in the vise, using some good old push and shove'n along with the aid of a hammer. So I am actually suprised at how straight the part turned out.

I'll play around with this piece a bit more before I make two final parts. The lower link mounts and shock mounts will both be on top of the axle

Heres the picture of it.

What do you guys think of a piece like this? Should it hold up well, or is this a bad bad idea? I've seen a few of your txt/jugg crawlers here with the servo mounted in that area.

Last edited by Etype R; 02-06-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

That should work. Looks like it'll give you better approach angle, than the usual fabbed TXT/Jugg axle mount you see here on this site.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

thats a nice servo mount.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pretty pimp, but it's all wronge, I think the stearing servo should go where it is stock with the stock mounts. It's pretty clear to me that that mount is junk ;)

Nah
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
Web Wheeling

Thanks guys, and hick :-P

I made one more bracket today and have another marked to be bent up. I do feel silly using calipers along with a sqaure and metal scribe. But the parts do look alot better when you spend 15 minutes on them versus 2 minutes... I think I'll make the other one tomarrow, and then two more for the txt.....

I stole the bumper from the txt and snipped a couple mounts off it, but the lower mounts seem to be useless unless I space them up a bit to clear the large ball ends. I will probably space them on one of the two trucks, and use the upper mounts for the other. I'll decide how I want to do the upper link mount soon too.

After all that I need to start playing with building a frame up.

Anyways here is a picture of the two axles. The one with the cirus servo and stock kncukles has the bracket I bent up today.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Web Wheeling

Made a top link mount and used my old Xtreme jugg chassis and links to mock up the truck. I need to make some longer links and get some revo shafts still along with some good ball ends. Once I have all the parts I need and finish making a few other things I'll bolt everything up to this chassis and test run it with this chassis. After I decide where I want the links and shocks, I'll copy the bolt pattern and make a new chassis.

Here a few pics I snapped of it quickly with the body I will be using. I'll trim up the body after I finish the truck... I don't wanna hack it until I know what has to be hacked off

What do you guys think of this setup so far? Is this sitting to tall, how does the link setup look so far? I plan on running a 15" wheelbase or so since that seems to be the most favored wheel base around here. This is the first time building a full on crawler for me :-P
Old 02-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

It looks great, that's for sure.

But realize todays better performing trucks are placing everything at, or below the top of the tires.
Which is a challenge in itself.
Check out Kona-Joe's truck with it's rotated tranny, for instance. A marvel in itself.

Dirk Digler's year in review has some interesting ideas about the future of truck design...
(Found on the main page)
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
Web Wheeling

So slammmed race style crawlers now huh? I don't think I will flip the tranny as I will only be running a single motor. I will try placing the battery below the tranny though. That is the lowest point I can mount the battery without putting it on the axle.

I am hoping I can get the other axle setup so I can test run the truck on the log pile this weekend and play with shock setups.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
Web Wheeling

Well I have both axles bolted up to the mockup chassis now. I need to get started on the new chassis soon.

I was at a LHS yesterday and picked up a set of Giant tracs since I've heard so many great things about them for crawling. I pulled the tires off my clod rims and narrowed them. I haven't glued them just yet though.

Here are a few pictures to show the current setup ground clearance and the flex. Now this will all change once I make a new chassis since the battery will be moved very low, and the links will be moved around as well. The current wheel base is also sitting at 14 inches or so, actually I forgot what it is at but I know it needs to be longer :-P

EDIT: Had to take one more pic with the body set on top. I cut the flares off the other night, I will trim more of the body once the truck is complete.

Last edited by Etype R; 02-06-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

Looks like your off to a good start. Your second servo mount looks a lot better.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #11
Web Wheeling

Thanks Bender, both the front and rear servo mounts look like the second one now.