Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Stronger shaft..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Stronger shaft..

Hi, I kind of destroyed the rear drive shaft when I was running on pavement (high traction) w/ 16.8V and dual S600 motors.. it is not a crawler, but I figure you guys are the experts in TXT..

I am going to replace the driveshaft with the REVO shaft, but do you see that as an improvement? And since the REVO shaft is mounted differently (a screw through the tranny output shaft, instead of holding through 2 grub screws, one from each side), will the play between screw and the hole on the tranny output shaft result in a lot of wear and ultimately destroy the tranny output shaft?

Some pics of the destroyed parts..

It split the drivegear too.. I wish the gear is riding on spline...

Lunchboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

The Revo shafts should fix your problem, and because they are plastic they won't destroy your gears. The gear cracks because the stock driveshafts have no give, being that they are all metal.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Here I mounted the yoke already, using the screw included with the REVO shaft. The screw diameter is slightly smaller than the hole on the stock TXT tranny output shaft. But the plastic yoke has a flat on each side so it fits the output shaft perfectly. I guess as long as the screw is not going to be load bearing, then it should be okay.. but I am thinking that the plastic yoke will deform under power, and the wear on the output shaft will begin..

I guess the only way to be sure is take it apart to check for wear and tear?? Argh...

Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the quick response.. yeah, some small flex on the shaft might not be a bad thing, to take some load off the gear.. as long as the universal joints hold up..

I am still worrying about messing up the tranny output shaft / axle input shaft, though.. since now there's a screw goes through the hole on the shaft... and if the screw start to transmitting power (instead of letting the flats on the yokes / shafts do the job), it will wear the shaft down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
The Revo shafts should fix your problem, and because they are plastic they won't destroy your gears. The gear cracks because the stock driveshafts have no give, being that they are all metal.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
2006 2.2 National Champ

I've never put alot of power through the Revo shafts, but mine have held up fine with alot of weight and torque. I'm not sure about the gear shaft, over long term use with alot of power. The give in the plastic shafts should help take the shock off the drivetrain though IMO.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Yeah, we will find out, I guess... you know what I am saying, though, right? I am talking about the part where the REVO yokes will be attaching to. Before, 2 grub screws are used to push against the flat on the input/output shaft.. but now, the flats are built-in on the yokes (plastic), and a screw would go through the hole just so the yoke doesn't fall off..

But when there's enough power to deform the yoke's flat, the screw will now be forced to transmit the power.. and over time, it might enlarge the hole a lot and ultimately snap the output/input shaft.. (imagine if you take a screw driver and put it through a 1/8" thick metal plate with a hole slightly bigger than the screw drivers, and then start rocking the scrwe driver back and forth...)

Maybe it is time for me to stock up on some shafts too.. LOL!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I bet the screw will break before the output shaft. With my modified maxx shafts that is what happened to me.
The screw broke in half and the output shaft looks untouched.
The Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

That's good to know, as those screws are easy to replace... !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muscle
I bet the screw will break before the output shaft. With my modified maxx shafts that is what happened to me.
The screw broke in half and the output shaft looks untouched.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

You could maybe get a thim metal sleeve to put around the yokes of the revo shafts to keep them from deforming around the tranny output and the diff input shafts. It would help keep the torque from trying to round the flats and keep the power off the pin going through the yoke.

Hope that makes sense.
RC Rock Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

That's a very interesting idea!! Too bad that I don't have any machining capability.. (I can operate a lathe just fine, just don't have a lathe at home, LOL! Used to work in machine shop while at school...)

Maybe I will just safety-wire it around the yoke.. (basically just tighten it with some steel wires..)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxer
I am still worrying about messing up the tranny output shaft / axle input shaft, though.. since now there's a screw goes through the hole on the shaft... and if the screw start to transmitting power (instead of letting the flats on the yokes / shafts do the job), it will wear the shaft down...
I've thrown some power through the TXT tranny/Revo shaft combo.

They're the only two items to not fail in the driveline. Everything else as been the weak link.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

That's good to know!! So the yoke actually hold up okay? Do you use the included long screw?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Yeah, the yoke was fine.

The wheel hexes, inner axle shafts, stub axles, and various other bits were what failed.

When you upgrade something in the driveline you're just working to identify the next weakest link.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I know what you mean.. something else will fail..

I assume your setup is a crawler setup, right? I wonder if the failure modes are different.. (mine is more like strong shock while pulling wheelie, while a crawler would be more of a slowly applying strong strong torque..)

Who knows.. no worry.. everything can be replaced if something fail again.. worst case scenario is that I will need to change the input / output shaft...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:29 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I snap stock axles like their going out of style. So now I have a set of cvds waiting for me to install.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

What kind of CVDs do you have? Can you post some pics?!

I am talking about the driveshaft from the center tranny to the axle.. is that what you are talking about?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Default Thunder tech cvds

no I'm talking about the axle that turns the wheels not the driveshaft.
After you fix the drivshaxt issues what will break next?
In my case it was the axles. I've broken three so far. So i got some Thunder Tech cvds.

They are sitting on my work bench waiting for my motivation to arrive so I can install them.

Last edited by The Muscle; 01-11-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Okay, yeah, I figured that you are talking about the CVDs from TTR! How are they holding up so far?! I heard they are very stout!!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

The REVO shaft cut to fit and installed..

The tranny side the yoke fits quite well with a lot of overlap.. but the axle side seems to be pretty shallow.. Hmm.. maybe there's other type of yokes that I can use?! Maybe get another yoke similar to the tranny side?!

What do you guys do?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #20
MODERHATER™

Thats how mine is and i have run massive amounts of power though it w/ no issue! Once i broke both the rear axle shafts at the same time!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote