Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: wrong servo???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #1

Default wrong servo???

i have a jugg 2, esp long wheelbase chassis (dont waste your money), rc4wd spools front/back, stock tranny (rc4wd r1 on the way), xtreme racing servo mount front/back, 2 hitec hs-985mg servo's, and hitec servo savers. with the stock wheels, it seems the servo's work overtime, and when i put on my jumbo kong tires with the rc4wd adapters, they wont hardly budge them on the ground. the servo is rated at 172.2 oz, and the next step up ive seen is 200 oz, but there like $120 a piece. with the stock steering setup, one hitec servo seemed to do fine, but i never tried it with the jumbo tires. i figured a servo per axle would be 10x better, but i was wrong. its like they dont get any leverage at all to turn the tires. i changed the steering links with some spare ones i had, but the servos still wont turn my big tires. the hitec servos fit pretty well inside of the xtreme servo mounts, and im not sure if a bigger scale servo would fit. any help would be appreciated, as im stuck withmy xxx-4 buggy, and it makes a crappy rock crawler.
nolli69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

What esc are you using?
The problem is most likely that the servos aren't getting all the power they need...and those tires are frikin huge!
TWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #3

im using a novak brushless crawler motor and esc, it is suppose to supply enough voltage for them
Old 05-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would still recommend trying a receiver pack or voltage regulator before getting new servos. You should also get new tires
TWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

ill try the reciever pack, but i want a solution to run these tires, not new tires.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I would also get rid of the servo savers. Rock crawlers don't really need them. When I changed from plastic servo hornes to aluminum ones it made a huge diffrence. And that was just plastic hornes not even servo savers.
badltl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Keep it real

I run a hitec 5995(333 oz) with a voltage regulator, in my 2.2 TXT, and I think it is barely enough with the small tires. 172oz just isn't going to move the kongs, no matter what you do.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #8

one 172 servo turned the stock tires with no problem, and correct me if im wrong here, but aren't the stock jugg tires bigger than 2.2 tires?? upgrading servo's isnt a big deal, i was just looking for an answer that didnt involve new servo's. i just dont comprehend how going from one servo to 2 servo's would be worse.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Part of the issue is that you are spreading your amperage over two servos. Run a receiver pack and that will show you what the servos can do if you feed them well.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolli69 View Post
one 172 servo turned the stock tires with no problem, and correct me if im wrong here, but aren't the stock jugg tires bigger than 2.2 tires??
When you say it moved them fine, do you mean on flat ground, or bound up. My servo will turn my tires, even when they are bound up, sometimes it will move the rear of my truck over a couple of inches, if the fronts are bound up enough. A lot is personal preference, I just simply can't stand it when I turn the wheel and the tires don't turn, no matter how bound up they are. I even put a 403oz servo in my daughters' SW2 TLT.
If you were happy with how the 1 servo turned the tires, then a RX pack or voltage regulator should make the 2 perform like the one did, by supplying enough power for both.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:57 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Like others have said, ditch the servo savers, and run a reciever pack. I also ran a 985 servo in my txt but it only lasted 1 hour before the gears stripped. That 985 servo is NOT up to what you are doing. You can get cheap 1/4 scale servos that are alot more powerful than your current servos. I currently run a hitec 5955 ti gear servo in the front of my 2.2 txt with a 6v reciever pack and i wish i had a stronger servo at times.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

it also depends on how your linkage is set up.
if the rod is attached to the end of the servo horn the leverage is going to be less than if it were closer to the servo spline/post
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote