RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/)
-   -   My TXT Build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/56711-my-txt-build.html)

JeremyH 01-15-2007 12:10 PM

My TXT Build

This is my first TXT and here is how it turned out:

(click the images for a larger version)
http://www.4x4shots.com/albums/userp...l_DSC01097.JPG
http://www.4x4shots.com/albums/userp...l_DSC01100.JPG

The paint job is my first using a liquid mask.

It seems to be geared too high for now, but I have some different motor/pinion combinations to help fix that.

Anyway, specs:
SW2 w/3" skid
14.5" WB
55T motor
12T pinion
84T spur
Axial beadlocks
Moab 40s
XRS

crawlaholic 01-15-2007 01:41 PM

Great job for your first! How about some action shots.

JeremyH 01-15-2007 01:47 PM

I should have some soon! I've got a 4 day wekend coming up...

SuperTwinz 01-15-2007 01:48 PM

Cool another 14"er. "thumbsup"

JeremyH 01-15-2007 04:10 PM

Yep, a bit larger than my TLTs.

I got a lot of ideas from Rocpede's build!

dittohead 01-15-2007 06:18 PM

I built pretty much exactly the same truck as yours but im running a rc4wd R2 tranny and i also feel the gearing is too high, and not nearly enough torque. The problem is the axles, i think they are only 2:1 reduction. If someone made a readily available 4:1 gearset for TXT axles i would buy them. I know eGressor has regeared these axles before. I know my 14'r is being held WAY back by the gearing/power. I am going to go with a HH brushless setup soon to get around the problem with the gearing (i hope)

Btw, your rig looks great"thumbsup"

BENDER 01-15-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dittohead
I built pretty much exactly the same truck as yours but im running a rc4wd R2 tranny and i also feel the gearing is too high, and not nearly enough torque. The problem is the axles, i think they are only 2:1 reduction. If someone made a readily available 4:1 gearset for TXT axles i would buy them. I know eGressor has regeared these axles before. I know my 14'r is being held WAY back by the gearing/power. I am going to go with a HH brushless setup soon to get around the problem with the gearing (i hope)

Btw, your rig looks great"thumbsup"

I think brushless with the RC4WD tranny would be a good combo. 40 Series wheels are going to be tough to turn in binds though, Maxx sized tires would give you some torque back.

Nice looking build Jeremy, I like the silver and red paint together.

JeremyH 01-15-2007 06:35 PM

Thanks for the compliments Bender.

To regain some of my gearing, I was thinking about a set of the new RC4WD portals....

dittohead 01-16-2007 08:39 AM

Those portals also got my attention.

I dont want to hijack this thread but i am running maxx mashers, i had 40 series moabs on mine for about 10 minutes. Too much tire.

One question, are you going to go with rear steer eventually?

JeremyH 01-16-2007 09:20 AM

Yeah, I plan on adding it soon. I was going to use a 645MG servo and make a mount similar to the one in the front. I just need to figure out how to rewire my TQ3 for the rear steer.

Sometime this week I am going to drop in my 65T Axiom that is sitting on my workbench. I think I also have lower tooth count pinion that might help.

JeremyH 01-16-2007 07:29 PM

Well, I swapped in my 65 turn motor and now the truck is just slow and lacks torque. I think I might try a RC4WD GRU. Any advice?

Could it be the XRS? I would think it would be able to handle this setup (it did well on a 2.2 tired crawler).

JeremyH 01-17-2007 05:35 AM

Or should I just shoot for a brushless setup?

mir4dor 01-17-2007 09:20 AM

From what I read here is that an Integy 55T + 9tooth pinion combo will do just fine ... ?

xjwalt666 01-17-2007 09:53 AM

nice looking rig. how does the sw2 work with the txt axles?

JeremyH 01-17-2007 10:47 AM

Really, a 9tooth? I have a heck of a time getting a 12 tooth to fit with the pede tranny. The motor hits the inside of the tranny and I have shaved off as much as possible.

The SW2 works great! The wider skid is a necessity with the TXT axles (suspension link mounts and shock mounts on the axle end are pretty wide). It flexes nicely.

dittohead 01-17-2007 01:53 PM

I believe if you move to 64 pitch gears you can get a 12/90 on a pede. A switch to shorter tires would help you the most though. Mine has a 55t and maxx mashers and i feel it is still too fast, so i was hoping a switch to a 65t would slow it down enough, but maybe not. Also, what batteries are you using? Do you run a reciever pack? I run a 6.0v 1500mah reciever pack for the servos as well as a ib4200 stick pack, and i have a fair amount of punch, but it still doesnt "feel" right, especially in binds, and its too fast for real technical crawling IMO. I doubt you are being held back by the xrs. I will be doing alot more testing/tuning on mine after i get my 5955 servo back from warranty.

I also agree that the SW2 is a great chassis for a TXT, but it definitely needs the 3" skid plate, and it gives you the perfect spot for a reciever pack!;-)

BENDER 01-17-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mir4dor
From what I read here is that an Integy 55T + 9tooth pinion combo will do just fine ... ?

That works with the stock TXT tranny. But, he's running a Stampede tranny and they lack reduction when bolted to TXT axles.

I agree the SW2 does have to be 3" wide for a TXT build, if you run a shorter wheelbase. Sparky ran 64p gears for awhile, but it still lacked a little torque for hard binds.

mir4dor 01-17-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENDER
That works with the stock TXT tranny. But, he's running a Stampede tranny and they lack reduction when bolted to TXT axles.

I missed that part, I'm in learning-mode ... Thanks for pointing that out.

JeremyH 01-17-2007 04:08 PM

Ahh....good idea with the 64pitch. I'll give them a shot!

The batteries I run are 7.2V 2800 mAh (6 cells). Do you have any recommendation on a receiver pack? This would be plugged directly into the Rx (batt slot), correct?

Bender, is there a way to mount up the stock TXT tranny to your chassis (with out a lock of hacking on the chassis)?

BENDER 01-17-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH
Bender, is there a way to mount up the stock TXT tranny to your chassis (with out a lock of hacking on the chassis)?

I've never seen it done. It's so bulky I'm not sure it would fit, even running the 3" wide chassis.