Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Electronics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2004, 01:46 AM   #1

Default Electronics?

I am finally deciding to take the plunge and buy a hardcore rock crawler. I have decided on the TXT-1, but I do not want to go with conventional brushed motors. What brushless motor/brushless esc would be suitable for this application? I am wanting to spend only between 200 and 300 dollars for a brushless setup. I am going to be mainly rock-crawling, so big torque is a definate plus. I will also be gearing it down to probably a 9 tooth pinion. For Rx/Tx I am just going to pick up a stock Savage radio setup off e-bay, but I will need a better set of servos, which servos do you guys recommend for steering?
Thanks.
BTW, Dirk, if you read this, we all miss you back at Banned.
fawkes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default Re: Electronics?

I can't recommend anything for the brushless setup, but I have two Hitec HS 945MG servos in my TXT and they work great. I think they are the highest torqe Hitec servos with out going to digital, which is $$$!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Miss me at banned huh? Yeah right!

As for the brushless question: They are a great product but NOT for rock crawling. Keep in mind, as they do produce great torque and there are many benefits, there is a MAJOR downside to going brushless. There is absolutely no motor braking because there is virtually no cogging. In order to brake with these motors, you have to use reverse throttle. In slow moving crawling, you will constantly be hitting reverse and you will not maintain the control you would have with normally brushed motors.

As for servos, I use 645's. They seem to be a good compromise of power and battery drain.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:34 AM   #4

OK, so what brushed setup can you recommend?
I am not really good at motor maintanence, so what are a good, long lasting motor between rebuilds? How often do you have to balance/clean the comm? Should I use a SUper Rooster ESC, and a dual battery setup? Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
As for servos, I use 645's. They seem to be a good compromise of power and battery drain.
Ohh yeah... I forgot to mention that I had to install a deep cycle marine battery to use those 945 servos. I can't go forward or reverse... but I can still steer!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I believe that everyone here will agree that the Magnetic Mayhems are the best suited motors for crawling. Tons of torque and just enough RPM's. Rebuilding is very easy and you won't need to do it often at all. Because of the slow speeds and lower RPM's the brushes wear slightly slower. However, the lower speeds also increase heat in the motors, causing premature failure of the brushes and come.....sometimes. Overall, you will be very happy with a Mag Mayhem and Super Rooster set up.
As for batts: I don't see it necessary to run two packs unless you need the extra power for larger servos, etc.

Badger: Hillarity!!!!!!!!!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:31 PM   #7

If I end up getting the Super Rooster, and the Mag Mayhems, I should wire them in series, right? Also, what plus should I use for the connections? Deans Ultra?
Oh, and is it okay if I run an 8-cell setup on the Super Rooster? Will this give me more power, and will the brush life be decreased slightly?
I have a few other questions, should I JB Weld both the front and rear diffs when I build it, or just the rear? Will the TXT-1 wheel hubs work with the stock Savage rims/tires? If not, are there adapters I can get? Also, should I get some foam to put in the stock TXT tires? And, what should be one of the first hopups I get for it? A center skid plate? And does anyone know the cheapest place for a TXT-1 kit?
Sorry for the many questions, I just want to make sure I have everything planned out before I order one.
Thanks.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I just use bluetac in my diffs and they are really tight but not locked solid so they give before stuff breaks but still hold plenty for crawling. The only down side to blutac is it goes hard and crumbly after a while, I'm on my 2nd go and it has lasted me over 6 months now so it's not too bad I guess. A better product might be the sticky black urethane stuff they use behind door trims on cars to hold that plastic sheet on, that stuff is still sticky even on a 20 year old car. I would definately do both diffs.

If you're going to run your tyres standard then dont use foams but if you're going to cut them up a fair bit I would just seal the rims and the bead. This lets them bag real nice around the rocks but they dont completely collaps when they are pressing hard against a pointy edge.

I don't know if you would call it a hop up but the 1st thing I would do is stretch the wheel base, it will help you climb and also reduce the torque twist.
TXTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #9

OK, I have a few more questions as to how to maintain a Mag Mayhem motor.How often do you have to change the brushes (on average), and how often do you have to cut the comm (on average). Also, don't they make brushless ESC's that have brakes? Is it really that bad to have a BL motor for crawling?
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:49 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I don't know about the BL set-up but I suggest you run a reciver pack when running two high torque servos...and I also recommend the 945's, they are sturdy and strong (I have stripped two servo horn splines and the servos still works)...

The LRP F1 Pro Rev. are a pretty good ESC aswell, it can't handle as many cells but it is cheaper and can handle (IIRC) lower turn motors...
I'll go for the Mtronik super truck in mine though...it is slightly more expnsive (145 USD) but I can get it for 115 USD from Hong Kong and it can handle 14,4 volts and it is waterproof (I toasted my LRP F1 Pro with water)...
DCLXVI is offline   Reply With Quote