Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: My TXT in progress...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Well, a bit more progress today. I fabbed up a front servo/upper link mount, but I'm not sure I like it. It's screwed to the upper diff cover (the jugg one that's included with the kit). It's made of .125 angle, and has the link mount on the back. The main reason that I'm trying to make a different servo mount is because out of all the ones I've seen on here, none of them have the servo horn line up with the lower steering link (they're not parallel) and that really bugs me. The one I designed makes them parallel, but I'm still not sure I like it. That's why I haven't made one for the rear yet.

The WB started out to be 16", but ended up being 15 1/4", not sure how, but I don't care, I still like it.

If anyone else has some servo mount ideas that have the two steering links in line with each other, let me know. I know that I can come up with something, but I usually over-think these kind of things, and end up with something way more complicated than it needs to be
Attached Images

WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #22
MODERATOR™

Fantastic!

Batteries on the front, low, motor up front, low.

Man, that is really a pretty new take on the TXT!

Awesome man!

You mighty want to consider selling those little custom front link/shock mounts.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Fantastic!

Batteries on the front, low, motor up front, low.

Man, that is really a pretty new take on the TXT!

Awesome man!

You mighty want to consider selling those little custom front link/shock mounts.
Thanks EP, I probably will at a later date (after my star turns colors, and my side plates get back from waterjet, and it's tested thoroughly, ... )

If I can just figure out some good, relatively easy to make servo mounts...
Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #24
RCC Addict

what tranny it that? is shure is choped up. looks great. i like.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
what tranny it that? is shure is choped up. looks great. i like.
That's the stock TXT tranny; flipped it on its side then hacked off the other side of the tranny that's unused
Old 06-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #26
RCC Addict

damb, could you get a better pic of it for me. im going to try and copy it. if it's ok.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #27

could you do a write up - how to - tranny cut thing?
dee201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Here's a couple more pics, not sure if they're better or not (I'm not a very good photographer )

I would do a write-up, but don't have another tranny so that I could do it step-by-step with pics. I initially thought about doing that with this build-up, but got in a hurry.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #29
RCC Addict

thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Default Wow!!!

You're holding out on me Rich, You never said anything about that servo/link mount at Monday's crawl. That's COOL!!!

Be sure to bring your TXT to D&D on the 5th, it will give people a chance to see how different building a crawler is. Not like bolting a bunch of aftermarket bling on a TMAXX.
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

WR: Once again, great looking work! It is good to see progress! The mount you made is very innovative and "fresh thinking" which is what this place needs! Screw cowbells You could easily turn that link mount into a 3-link setup if you so desired.
Since you asked about different steering servo mounts, I added links to pics of my crawler in this reply. I made a few servo mounts myself, and always overdid them but they still weren't quite right. Then I got MTPA mounts and I have never even thought about anything else. These mounts position the servos tucked in very tightly to the upper links and sliders, but they still clear everything. They also keep the links parallel to eachother as you mentioned. I have run them for 2 seasons now with absolutely no bending-breakage-problems. Most importantly, they put everything inside the axles and out of the way of rocks. I would reccomend them to anybody/everybody.

http://www.nercc.net/images/MTPA%20servo.jpg

http://www.nercc.net/images/MTPA%20servo%202.jpg
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the replies guys. Mike, I wasn't holding out, I assumed that you saw this thread . It will difinitely be @ D&D. BTW, I've got two of those clear clod bodies on order

FullMod, I dig your setup, and thanks for the compliments! I originally wanted BTA steering on this rig, but the link/shock mounts inside the axle would interfere with the steering links (the plastic steering arm is right in line with the steel link mounts). I could use spacers to raise it above the link, but I'm sure it would add a lot of torque to the links (250 oz.in. servos!) and the links would move at the spacer.

Also, I'm going to try running these HSC-5998TG's with no servo saver, just a long plastic servo arm. The performance gain will be impressive, and we'll just have to see how they'll hold up. I've already got some replacement gear sets on order .
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

WR, your link mount setup is cool, I certainly understand why you don't want to mess with that! I have no experience with the those servos, but have had good luck with my 230(?) ounce Airtronics w/o servo savers. There is one little gear inside that strips on occasion, but it is easy to swap and a bag of 4 replacements is something like $3. Perhaps you will have good luck too? Sensible driving usually helps, which I sometimes have a problem with...

edit: Forgto to mention that I like the way you trimmed the tranny. Mine is mounted in what appears to be very close to the exact same spot. I have another housing, so I might try trimming it like you did. I'll be sure to mention where I got the idea from!

Last edited by fullmodtxt; 06-02-2005 at 08:23 AM.
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

I decided to make some new servo mounts today. They're pretty much the same as the old ones, but a bit beefier, more bracing to the axle (underneath the mount), and a different link attachment. All in all, I'm very satisfied with them. Should they ever decide to break, they'll probably break the axle along with them .

Now I just need to finish adjusting the links, final trim the driveshafts/skidplate, and wire it up. Oh, and sand the other two tires (man, I should have NEVER started that )
Attached Images

Last edited by WRMorrison; 06-11-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

wow, looks great. nice work.
bubbacheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Talking

TY Bubba, I appreciate it.

Well, I finished this thing up (for now) last night with some much appreciated help from Mitch. He basically wired the entire thing for me and figured out/set my new radio for me (because the radio is more sophisticated than I am ) while I worked on other things. These pics are from the get-together/comp today at the LHS. It has the rx, esc mounted on the rear axle, and the saddle pack mounted on the front axle. I'm not sure who posted it, but somewhere on here I read that someone clipped off the screw hole on traxxas shocks, and then drilled a hole in the cap for a rod end. I tried this and it works like a charm! Now, I've got a ball end on each end of the shock allowing further movement without binding. I wanted to give credit where it's due, but can't remember who posted it , so whoever you are, feel free to chime in and swoop up the credit!

And, I believe it was grizzly's rig where I got the idea of the bent steering link. Thanks for the idea man, it looks sweet! I also took the stock TXT body and hacked it (of course) I even chopped off the bed after the chassis ends, and then screwed the back of the bed (where the tailgate would be) back on the body for a cleaner look. For now, the body is just being held on by velcro until my new chassis plates get done.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the performance, and I'll be sure to update as often as I can!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Here's a few more pics. The first is of the shock mod, in case my rambling didn't make sense

Hope 'ya like it! I know I do!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

And some more...

Also, the name of this project is "Live Wire" after Mt.Dew's orange soda. I'm a bit of an orange fanatic (in case you haven't noticed... )
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Oh and BTW, thanks TwistedCreations, the windshield sticker finally found a home!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

This project turned out so sweet! Great job!
xtman is offline   Reply With Quote